Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Core Guide for our situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a Core Guide for our situation?

Hello,

We have only recently discovered the wonders and beauty that Memoria Press is!!!
    For the last couple months I have been doing bits and pieces of MP with my soon to be 5th grader, primarily from the 3rd grade core. Of course, I would love to just be able to place him in the 5th grade core for next year, but skills wise, he is not there. The 3rd and 4th grade range seems to be a good fit for him right now. I would really love to be able to purchase and use a curriculum manual because I'm sensing we are missing out on the full richness of the curriculum without it, I'm just not sure if I should purchase the 3rd grade, 4th grade, or I believe there is also one that combines them?

Here is what we've been doing:

Latin: Prima Latina (orally) We are on lesson 13. I plan to start Latin Christiana in the Fall (By the way, we LOVE Latin!!!)
    Science: Mammals: We are on lesson 7
    American/Modern: States and Capitals We've only covered 11 states (We are also doing the American read alouds with guide)
    Writing: We are using Introduction to Composition with Literature. We are almost done with Farmer Boy
    Classical: D'Aulaires Greek Myths. We are on lesson 8
    Christian Studies: Just completed unit 2
    Literature: Farmer Boy
    Math: He will be doing Rod and Staff 4 in the Fall

He has not yet had any real formal grammar, so he may need to start from the beginning. I've looked at Rod and Staff 2 and 3 for instance, and I would place him in 2. He also is going to begin cursive in the Fall.
    I know any manual at this point I will have to tweak a bit. I've been homeschooling for seven years now, and I'm no stranger to tweaking curriculum LOL. I'm just hoping one might fit OK, at least. I'm also aware I could purchase the PDF, and go the route of filling everything in myself.

I also want to add that we are looking to stick with MP long term.

Thoughts anyone?
    Thanks,
    Jen
    Last edited by JenB12; 05-18-2019, 06:09 PM.

I will be waiting to see what responses you get, because I am in a similar situation (I just started a thread too). It would be SO NICE to be able to follow a manual without any substitutions!
    Kristen

DD 16
    DD 13
    DS 11
    DS 9

Comment

Originally posted by ms. pacman View Post
      I will be waiting to see what responses you get, because I am in a similar situation (I just started a thread too). It would be SO NICE to be able to follow a manual without any substitutions!
      Oh wow, I just looked at your post....we are in VERY similar situations! I hope we can get some good advice!

Comment

Have you looked at Fourth Grade for New MP Users? I can't get the link in my phone...
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2020-2021
        11th year HSing · 9th year MP
        @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
        11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          Have you looked at Fourth Grade for New MP Users? I can't get the link in my phone...
          This may be the answer...it seems the closest to fit! Thank you!

Comment

I think 4th for new users is going to be your best bet. A few weeks would be review for Christian Studies, Greek Myths and States & Caps. That might be ok as you adjust to the full core. I would do a good review though and not just skip the subject. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...a-press-users/
            Christine

(2019/2020)
            DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
            DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
            DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

I'd suggest either 4FNU or Simply Classical Level 5&6 Accelerated (similar material but different science and adds in Music Appreciation and Creating Art), either would make a really viable option in my opinion.
              Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
              Trekking along at a student self-pace...
              DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
              DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
              DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
              DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
              DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
              Blog: Creative Madness Mama
              @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

It sounds like both of you may have found an answer in the 4NU set, with just a couple changes. I also wanted to encourage you that it is so common to need a year or two to get a child positioned well for a full core when switching to MP. Back when the cores were first coming out, I did it slowly for my oldest two so that I could figure out all these new courses a little at a time. With my younger ones, I put them into a core as soon as I could and had to get up to speed on their courses very quickly. Either way you go, there is a learning curve while you figure things out and develop new routines, so plan to be patient with yourself and your children. Finding your “MP groove,” especially with several children, is worth the time and effort it takes to get there. Definitely devote time this summer to be reading and rereading your TM’s and CG teaching guidelines so that you are preparing yourself and can hit the ground running a bit better. And many of us plan to take the first week or two at half-speed while everyone adjusts to the new system and gets all their questions answered of how to do things.

And it is perpetual! We are close to wrapping up most of the kids in most of their things - and I’m already jotting down plans for how to have a better schedule next year!

Cheers to you both on your new path!

AMDG,
                Sarah
                2020-2021
                16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                DS, 16
                DD, 14
                DD, 12
                DD, 10
                DD, 8
                DD, 6
                +DS+
                DS, 2

Comment

All very good advice and insight! Thank you so much for the responses!

Comment

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post
                    I'd suggest either 4FNU or Simply Classical Level 5&6 Accelerated (similar material but different science and adds in Music Appreciation and Creating Art), either would make a really viable option in my opinion.
                    Last night I took a really good look at SC Level 5&6 Accelerated. Honestly, I think in terms of where my son is currently, this program may be the better fit. I would really only need to substitute out the Math 3 for 4, and the cursive (he will be beginning cursive instruction). This program would keep him in the Literature and Introduction to Composition he's currently in, which is a good fit for him. I'm going to have to take a really good look at the 4th grade Literature and Fable to see if he's even ready for it. He's still struggling a bit with independent reading and writing. In fact I purchased a remedial program to do with him this Fall, through Rod and Staff. He would LOVE the art and music that is added in the SC 5&6, and the science looks like something he would enjoy, and would be something he could read independently as well. The SC core may be the gentle, yet thorough approach he needs right now. I know this won't help us get him into MP Core 5 next, but I've got to consider where he is at, not where I want him. That can be so hard!

I'm going to print out the sample weekly schedule from both SC 5&6 Accelerated and the 4th Grade New Users and compare them. Hopefully that will help me get a clearer picture. I'll also look carefully at the 4th grade Lit and Fable, to see if he's ready to take the leap.

Thank you so much for bringing up the SC program!

Comment

Originally posted by JenB12 View Post

The SC core may be the gentle, yet thorough approach he needs right now. I know this won't help us get him into MP Core 5 next, but I've got to consider where he is at, not where I want him. That can be so hard!

[...]

Thank you so much for bringing up the SC program!
                      I'm so glad! I really had to debate with my girls. My oldest has always been Classical Core but she took 3 years to complete 3rd/4th Moderated. Actually, she is almost completely through 4th, we have a few weeks (months?) yet left to tackle. But SC 5/6 came put when we were 2/3rds of our journey, I really would have loved it instead if we could have. It would have been an ersten year, a German between year. My middle daughter has been SC from the beginning and will be Level 4 this fall.

My son is going from JrK to K this fall, but I am already planning to make a few changes with gems I discovered in the SC line such and the SC Copybooks, and later SC Spellong and SC Writing. They are just fabulous.

It really is a good program, and you could alway going at a faster pace if you really get into the groove of it. My daughter started zooming through Writing, so I actually got her the Bible version to complete in addition to the Read Aloud version. But that's allow before Level 4, so just ignore my ramble.
                      Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
                      Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                      DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
                      DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
                      DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
                      DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
                      DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                      Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                      @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post

I'm so glad! I really had to debate with my girls. My oldest has always been Classical Core but she took 3 years to complete 3rd/4th Moderated. Actually, she is almost completely through 4th, we have a few weeks (months?) yet left to tackle. But SC 5/6 came put when we were 2/3rds of our journey, I really would have loved it instead if we could have. It would have been an ersten year, a German between year. My middle daughter has been SC from the beginning and will be Level 4 this fall.

My son is going from JrK to K this fall, but I am already planning to make a few changes with gems I discovered in the SC line such and the SC Copybooks, and later SC Spellong and SC Writing. They are just fabulous.

It really is a good program, and you could alway going at a faster pace if you really get into the groove of it. My daughter started zooming through Writing, so I actually got her the Bible version to complete in addition to the Read Aloud version. But that's allow before Level 4, so just ignore my ramble.
                        It's so great to see how you are using both programs! Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback!

Comment

I am an advocate for SC cores, but did not suggest it in your case, since initially I did not see any mention of this. You might take a look at this thread: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-is-here/page4.

It eventually compares 3A and 5/6 one year plans. The 4th grade is a unique year to try and compare, but I did want to offer that it would be possible to do 5th after 5/6, with a few modifications. However, as 7/8 is not released, you may find it to be a better fit. If you continued the SC track through 12, (7/8, 9/10, 11/12), it leaves you at 7th grade MP. (With 2nd form instead of third). My child will be a 9th grader at this point, but I am at peace with that. A few modifications will need to be made for high school credit, but at this level, many homeschoolers are customizing for their high schoolers.

My oldest did MPK, but has been with SC since. She will be 10 at the end of August. I bought the 3A guide and 5/6 guide. I had planned to do 3A, then do 5M the following year (subbing Classical Comp l for ll). However, I have decided that for our family’s sake we will do 5/6 as written.
                          Christine

(2019/2020)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                          DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                          DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

I have gone back to reading the forum more than offering my thoughts , but since I seem to fit into this post perfectly , I would like to get into the boat with you ladies! We did MP K-2 .We used a different phonics & math program from the start and sometimes added other things it . For third we got a bit thrown off because of too many different things added to the mix and ended up using CLE and MP. My daughter is in 4 th grade. We are in the 407 spot with CLE math& LA & finished bible a couple of months ago so we decided to start learning some of the memory verses for MP CS1 early since the first couple are long. I took Christine's suggestion from another and now this post and bought the SC5/6 manual and 3A . This will help us pick up a few things that need to be covered before jumping into a full core which for the most part we plan to do in 6th , using 5M or SC7/8 depending on the look of it . We are one of the families that could benefit from the SC track because of the time constraint we have in our schedule with my daughter being a competitive dancer. It is a great option and can be tweaked to be more challenging. We did order all the student books for writing . My daughter wanted the challenge of the full memory verses and the writing in EG , so we are doing all of that. She will be reading My Side of the Mountain , The Moffats to do that part of Intro to Comp , and Cricket in Times Square ... because the length of the books& poetry already scheduled will coincide well. She has already read the other literature. We are subbing the 3rd grade Rod& Staff science for CLE 5 because that covers the nature sciences that MP covers in the grammar stage . We don't want to miss any of the great read - alouds from MP and we aren't caught up with all so we are following the scheduling of 3A and inserting the 5/6 ones where we find a book we've already read . We are also doing the 3A cursive , I like the added copybook. We have been learning the states& capitals& presidents SC4 style but I can't see us being done unless we rush , so we will be doing it as written in the new guide using the student book by region and treat it like a new subject even though a good amount are already memorized . It will just make the subject that much easier , I def agree with that suggestion above for myself too. We are still using CLE for LA& math . My daughter loves it and gets LA done quickly. A slight overload but ok. My only unsettled subject and question is with Latin . I own Prima and LC . But , we really just started Prima we ended up really doing the introduction level of it like in SC3 because of time , that being our suffering subject in terms of time spent not lack of understanding or love for it for sure! It just seems like such a waste to toss it aside before completing to start LC in 5 th but at the same time if we don't start LC with any of these cores I have it seems that we will be slightly off balance . Also , wouldn't it be nice to get the Zodiac study from Prima when we are doing Myths since we are not doing Astronomy this year ? And then the stars add in from the copybook? I'd love your thoughts on this ! We are also up to Clara Barton in American Studies , yes slightly simpler work but my daughter now KNOWS who these people are , the times and events and just has a nice grasp on AH without it being at all tedious. I actually have enjoyed the seemless way she has learned to write quality paragraphs about each historical figure. I definitely hope for more compostition style books for the upper grades from Cheryl. If not I will probably go the WWE& Skill route with my daughter also , since starting out there was successful. Intro to Comp has been a great fit too.
                            I just want to add something that has been great fun and helpful for us... I think I gleaned this idea from Jen formerly from Japan! With her Bookshark history , I think she said she used the 200 questions flashcards when applicable . Well we started using them as well with the SC AH and with the quotes , timeline cards and facts we are up to 62 of the 200 questions! There is a lot of meat to be gotten from the SC curriculum ! We have loved the enrichment portion of MP and this is what we have done to keep it in without having to search outside of it and get thrown off track . We are looking forward to Creating Art& Music Appreciation .
                            I am happy to have moms on this form to move through this curriculum with at a different pace for various reasons , it is so helpful! Forgive my extra long post , getting into mix! And , thank you all for your insight!

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                              I am an advocate for SC cores, but did not suggest it in your case, since initially I did not see any mention of this. You might take a look at this thread: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-is-here/page4.

It eventually compares 3A and 5/6 one year plans. The 4th grade is a unique year to try and compare, but I did want to offer that it would be possible to do 5th after 5/6, with a few modifications. However, as 7/8 is not released, you may find it to be a better fit. If you continued the SC track through 12, (7/8, 9/10, 11/12), it leaves you at 7th grade MP. (With 2nd form instead of third). My child will be a 9th grader at this point, but I am at peace with that. A few modifications will need to be made for high school credit, but at this level, many homeschoolers are customizing for their high schoolers.

My oldest did MPK, but has been with SC since. She will be 10 at the end of August. I bought the 3A guide and 5/6 guide. I had planned to do 3A, then do 5M the following year (subbing Classical Comp l for ll). However, I have decided that for our family’s sake we will do 5/6 as written.
                              Wow Christine, what a great comparison you put together! I completely forgot about the accelerated track. I wish I had seen 3A when we started with the subjects we've done so far.
                              Do you know if the new SC levels will continue to have one year options? I've been pouring over the program, and I love it! I'm doing MP Preschool with my three year old, and was going to get JRK for the Fall, but now I'm considering SC B or C. I've see much conversation here on the forum about others doing that, or considering it.
                              I'm going to add 3A as an option. I may have to wait to decide until I'm able to look through the manuals at the convention next month. No matter what route I take, I'm going to have to make modifications for sure. It looks like that is a fairly common situation for others as well.
                              Thank you so much,
                              Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X