X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary
    started a topic Math streaming videos - two questions

Math streaming videos - two questions

When purchasing any of the math videos, does the 13-month membership period begin at the time of purchase or does the clock start ticking only once a student has logged in to watch the first one?
    (This will tell me whether to buy now or to wait until 5 minutes before I start teaching the first lesson - ha!)

Also, how would you best advise these be used? Should a student watch the video first with no parent involvement? Should a parent give an overview of the lesson and then click on the video? Only use the videos if the student doesn't understand the lesson, whether or not there is parent involvement?

I am used to either being in charge and running lessons or handing them directly over to MPOA teachers - I have never been in video limbo before. I think I'll be fine teaching Algebra but I really want the safety net of a video. *weary laugh*

BTW, can I just *tell* you how excited I am to have Cindy Davis in my house every day? :-D

ETA: I would drive to KY and treat the staff to Heine Bros. coffee if you would burn these videos onto DVDs. Lots more medical travel in our future and we have DVD players in hotel and hospital rooms. Easier than toting the laptop - esp. when we have to leave it unattended when going down for tests and such. Sadly, we had a tablet go missing this way. Don't *even* get me started... >:-<
    Last edited by Mary; 05-14-2019, 03:55 PM.

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    How are streaming purchasers notified of the handouts?​​​
    Good afternoon Jessica,

The download should be listed at the top of your order confirmation email just like any other download. If it's not there, please let us know and we'll see what's going on!

Leave a comment:

• Katie
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post

I haven’t read the whole thread, so I might repeating. There are note taking pdfs (at least for Algebra 2). Don’t skip any of the Try This (practice problems). Sometimes they are a third of the lesson if using MPs lesson plans.Those also reliably have full solutions in the solutions manual.
    You have made my day..PDFs!!! Thanks for telling me. I likely would have missed it like Jessica (feeling sorry for you )

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Oh goodness! We *just finished* Alg 2 and had no idea this resource was provided! There it is sitting in our downloads account and we just went the entire year without it. 215 pages.

How are streaming purchasers notified of the handouts?

​​​
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 05-18-2019, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy in Indy
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Mary,

For Algebra II, there is a PDF download called "Algebra II Handouts" which comes with the streaming video itself and which is separate from the quizzes & test download that comes with the Algebra II Quizzes & Tests book. There are no handouts for Algebra I, and I'll reach out to Cindy for why that is.

HTH!
    Hi Mary,
    Teaching algebra1 is pretty straightforward, and students can take notes from the videos pretty easily (I think). However, algebra2 has more content and it can be difficult to keep up if the student has to write down everything. When teaching algebra2 online for MPOA (only 2 classes per week, 75 minutes each), I developed notes that I could project on the screen and write on. Students printed their own copy and took notes directly on the handouts. I wrote out steps to solving problems, showed how to graph various functions, and summarized rules for logarithms (for example) on the notes. That helps the student focus on working out the example problems (as we go on the video), graphing the functions (along with the lecture) and studying the rules from the summary.

When we filmed the algebra2 streaming videos, Mr. Paul O'Brien (the video production expert at MP) built an overhead camera that could focus on the note sheet, so the explanations could be seen on the video recording. I shared the pdf files with MP, and they provide the files as a free download with the subscription, so that each student can have his/her own set of notes to work on. I recommend hole-punching the notes and storing in a 3-ring binder.

I hope B enjoys the algebra course and when she is ready for algebra2, the notes will be a helpful aid.
    Best wishes!

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied
    Thanks, Michael!

It's really no big deal - I thought since Bean mentioned the handouts for Algebra II, I should make sure I wasn't missing anything for Algebra I. However, when you talk to Mrs. Davis, would you please tell her that I am not above offering bribes? I will take her out to a fancy dinner if she will film Geometry videos in time for my oldest to need them. Does she like McDonald's? *cracks up laughing*

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Mary View Post

I wouldn't think of skipping practice or Try This problems - but it is good to know that this is good practice, just in case we get hurried and think we could just rush past them. I don't recall seeing note taking PDFs for Algebra I, but I didn't look that hard. Are they included with the quizzes/tests PDF downloads? Or are these a separate file?
    Good afternoon Mary,

For Algebra II, there is a PDF download called "Algebra II Handouts" which comes with the streaming video itself and which is separate from the quizzes & test download that comes with the Algebra II Quizzes & Tests book. There are no handouts for Algebra I, and I'll reach out to Cindy for why that is.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post

I haven’t read the whole thread, so I might repeating. There are note taking pdfs (at least for Algebra 2). Don’t skip any of the Try This (practice problems). Sometimes they are a third of the lesson if using MPs lesson plans.Those also reliably have full solutions in the solutions manual.
    I wouldn't think of skipping practice or Try This problems - but it is good to know that this is good practice, just in case we get hurried and think we could just rush past them. I don't recall seeing note taking PDFs for Algebra I, but I didn't look that hard. Are they included with the quizzes/tests PDF downloads? Or are these a separate file?

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied
    Originally posted by hermione310 View Post

I don't know what we'll do when we reach geometry (no video lessons - sniff!), but we plan to continue the MP videos for Algebra II.
    Paging Cindy Davis! We need you, STAT, Cindy Davis! *cracks up laughing*

I did not realize there were no videos for Geometry - I wonder if they're in the works...? It was one of my favorite subjects and I did very well in both geometry and trigonometry in HS; however, I fear I might not be able to teach it as well as I might understand it. It is such a measure of comfort to have those video lessons to fall back on!

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    Originally posted by Katie View Post
    Good morning, Mary!

The membership begins at purchase. I asked the same question

I'm not a professional but here is our plan: Watch the video with my son each day, do a couple of practice problems with him to make sure he gets it, and then set him free for homework. I'm sure there are students that could do this course fairly independently with the videos..that just doesn't work well with my guy.

Leave a comment:

• hermione310
    replied
    Originally posted by Katie View Post
    Good morning, Mary!

I'm not a professional but here is our plan: Watch the video with my son each day, do a couple of practice problems with him to make sure he gets it, and then set him free for homework. I'm sure there are students that could do this course fairly independently with the videos..that just doesn't work well with my guy.
    We approach the lessons exactly the same way. Reading the chapter overviews has been completely unnecessary as the video explanations are so thorough.

I'm embarrassed to admit we floundered around with 2 other algebra curriculums before settling on this one. One did a great job with a spiral approach but lacked sufficient mastery, and another did a great job with mastery but has no review, causing my daughter to forget topics from chapter to chapter. This comes at it from both angles and is just the right pace. We love the videos as we can watch them whenever we want and replay challenging sections. I don't know what we'll do when we reach geometry (no video lessons - sniff!), but we plan to continue the MP videos for Algebra II.

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Not a stupid question at all! I had no idea myself, but according to a colleague (and the internet), each disc generally holds 2-4 hours of video depending on the compression (i.e., quality).

HTH!
    Really? That's all? Gosh, I had this idea that we could fit hours and hours of video on a DVD. I should really get out more...or maybe at least do a Google search before I confirm everyone's suspicions that I am, indeed, an ignoramus. *cracks up laughing*

Thank you, Michael!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Mary View Post
    Stupid question: how many hours of video will a DVD hold?
    Not a stupid question at all! I had no idea myself, but according to a colleague (and the internet), each disc generally holds 2-4 hours of video depending on the compression (i.e., quality).

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied
    Stupid question: how many hours of video will a DVD hold? I thought it was several hours' worth. Am I being naive again?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    Ha! It would be so many DVDs! But we are looking at alternative ways to get these to you without streaming. Paul is hard on the job!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

Working...
X