Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Mary,

For Algebra II, there is a PDF download called "Algebra II Handouts" which comes with the streaming video itself and which is separate from the quizzes & test download that comes with the Algebra II Quizzes & Tests book. There are no handouts for Algebra I, and I'll reach out to Cindy for why that is.

HTH!
    Hi Mary,
    Teaching algebra1 is pretty straightforward, and students can take notes from the videos pretty easily (I think). However, algebra2 has more content and it can be difficult to keep up if the student has to write down everything. When teaching algebra2 online for MPOA (only 2 classes per week, 75 minutes each), I developed notes that I could project on the screen and write on. Students printed their own copy and took notes directly on the handouts. I wrote out steps to solving problems, showed how to graph various functions, and summarized rules for logarithms (for example) on the notes. That helps the student focus on working out the example problems (as we go on the video), graphing the functions (along with the lecture) and studying the rules from the summary.

When we filmed the algebra2 streaming videos, Mr. Paul O'Brien (the video production expert at MP) built an overhead camera that could focus on the note sheet, so the explanations could be seen on the video recording. I shared the pdf files with MP, and they provide the files as a free download with the subscription, so that each student can have his/her own set of notes to work on. I recommend hole-punching the notes and storing in a 3-ring binder.

I hope B enjoys the algebra course and when she is ready for algebra2, the notes will be a helpful aid.
    Best wishes!
    Cindy Davis
    Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
    ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
    ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
    dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Oh goodness! We *just finished* Alg 2 and had no idea this resource was provided! There it is sitting in our downloads account and we just went the entire year without it. 215 pages.

How are streaming purchasers notified of the handouts?

​​​
      Last edited by pickandgrin; 05-18-2019, 02:34 PM.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post

I haven’t read the whole thread, so I might repeating. There are note taking pdfs (at least for Algebra 2). Don’t skip any of the Try This (practice problems). Sometimes they are a third of the lesson if using MPs lesson plans.Those also reliably have full solutions in the solutions manual.
        You have made my day..PDFs!!! Thanks for telling me. I likely would have missed it like Jessica (feeling sorry for you )
        Katie

2019/20 6th year with MP
        DS 15: 10th, MPOA Latin & HS Comp II
        DD 12: 7th, MPOA Latin & Pre-Algebra
        DD 9: 4th using 3A
        Twin DD's 6: 1st

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          How are streaming purchasers notified of the handouts?​​​
          Good afternoon Jessica,

The download should be listed at the top of your order confirmation email just like any other download. If it's not there, please let us know and we'll see what's going on!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post

Hi Mary,
            Teaching algebra1 is pretty straightforward, and students can take notes from the videos pretty easily (I think).
            Best wishes!
            I have a couple of question about the streaming video lessons for Algebra I: we watched the sample available here on the MP website, and I'd love to know if all lessons are more or less that same length (about 12 mins). I have the lesson plan, and it suggests 20 minutes should be enough to read a lesson, take notes, and work example problems, with another 20 minutes to do the Try This problems. We're planning to use the streaming lessons, and I'm trying to figure out what amount of time is reasonable to reserve for instruction (the lesson plan then suggests to add 1/2 hour for homework.)

I am also wondering whether the homework is best done right away, or if we could separate it from the instruction. For instance, would it be a good idea to watch the video, and do the Try This problems, then go on to other subjects, and only later in the day (same day) read the lesson in the book as a way to review a concept quickly, then do the homework exercises.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Mrs. Bee,
              If my memory serves, the 12 minute sample lesson may be typical for Algebra1. Some lessons might last as long as 20 minutes, but I think that would be the upper limit. You are correct that the student will pause the video and work the example problems, and then work the "Try This" problems from the text. So the daily lesson would take about 40 minutes total. The additional time for homework (30 minutes) can occur later in the day, separate from the instruction. Your plan sounds like it would work well, especially with a quick refresher from reading the lesson in the book.
              Your mileage may vary, depending on the math aptitude of your student.
              Cindy Davis
              Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
              ds-25 college graduate: autodidact, working to pay the bills
              ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
              dd-21 college senior: Nursing

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
                Hi Mrs. Bee,
                If my memory serves, the 12 minute sample lesson may be typical for Algebra1. Some lessons might last as long as 20 minutes, but I think that would be the upper limit. You are correct that the student will pause the video and work the example problems, and then work the "Try This" problems from the text. So the daily lesson would take about 40 minutes total. The additional time for homework (30 minutes) can occur later in the day, separate from the instruction. Your plan sounds like it would work well, especially with a quick refresher from reading the lesson in the book.
                Your mileage may vary, depending on the math aptitude of your student.
                Thank you so much, this will help me plan a reasonable schedule!

Comment

Working...
                X