Subbing Heidi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subbing Heidi

DS10 will be doing 5M next year, and I'm considering subbing Heidi with My Side of the Mountain. What do you guys think? I haven't read either book, but just from glancing through each one, I think My Side would suit his tastes better.
    ~ Carrie
    Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
    7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
    2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

My son actually read both this year. He really enjoyed Heidi and when he finished, he read My Side of the Mountain. We didn't do MP poetry or the book quizzes or tests, so I'm assuming that's why he had time to read all the books. I wouldn't hesitate to have your son read Heidi, though, because it is such a wonderful story with important lessons. It's very engaging as well.
    DS, 13, 8th grade
    DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by carriede View Post
      DS10 will be doing 5M next year, and I'm considering subbing Heidi with My Side of the Mountain. What do you guys think? I haven't read either book, but just from glancing through each one, I think My Side would suit his tastes better.
      Another vote for Heidi. My guys will be studying it in the fall.

I agree with Sugarbelle -- there are SO MANY lessons there. I didn't read it as a child, and when I listened/read it with my daughter a few years ago, it quickly jumped into my favorites.
      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Dianna, I just read it this past year before my son did and I loved it. It made me laugh and cry.
        DS, 13, 8th grade
        DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Uh, okay then! Y'all just saved me $35.
          And he has read My Side of the Mountain already, just not with the awesome lit guides.
          ~ Carrie
          Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
          7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
          2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

Another vote for Heidi - all three of my bigs boys have read it and loved it. I wouldn't skip it.
            Brit

Catholic mom to five
            2019-2020:
            Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
            Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
            Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
            Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
            Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

Heidi was the first book my (then) reluctant reader loved. He giggled lots at the vivid descriptions of kittens and begged to keep reading. He asked to have the book when he grows up and moves out. Milestone book in our family!
              Amanda
              Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Working...
              X