inconsistent 1st grade books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inconsistent 1st grade books

We are on the last two weeks of Kindergarten MP and have loved it! :-) I ordered the 1st grade curriculum package in February and checked that I received all the books on the list they sent. However, I am just now going through all the books using the master list in the 1st grade manual to put everything in order, and there are some inconsistencies that I wanted to ask about:

1) I purchased and received "Core Skills Phonics 2," and it is on the 1st grade package list online, but it is not in the manual master list or anywhere to be found in the manual. Is it supposed to be supplemental? Is it still recommended if my child can read anything fluently at the end of K? Can I return it?

2) "Summer Cursive" is in the manual master list, but I did not buy it, nor is it in the weekly work. If you have used it in the past, is it necessary or not? The website actually says it comes with the 2nd grade curriculum box, but when I clicked on 2nd grade, I didn't see it there either, so it appears to not belong anywhere.

3) For Traditional Spelling I, the manual master list has "Student, Teacher, Practice Sheets, & Practice Workbook." I did not purchase or receive the Practice Workbook, and the website says it is supplemental. But it is included in the manual's weekly work a LOT. Do I need to order it, or are those lessons supplemental?

Thank you!
    Last edited by teresaellen23; 05-12-2019, 12:28 AM.

In Feb there was a change in a few books. It sounds like you may have ordered at the time of the change, and got the new manual, but not the changed books. I am sure MP will help you figure that out.

Core skills 2 was removed from the 1st grade package, and replaced with “Practice Book” (The one you mention missing in item 3).

Summer Cursive is a new add on and to be used between 1st and 2nd, just to keep the skill up. We did not have it for my first two children, and I wish we would have! (I purchased for my youngest)
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Good evening,

The reason you are confused is just as Christine explained. You received the updated Curriculum Manual but it sounds like you were sent the old materials. So, 1) Core Skills 2 was removed from the package. You can either use it as needed when the skills line up or ship it back to us. It is up to you. We never scheduled the whole book but it was good practice before we developed Traditional Spelling. 2) Summer Cursive is for use AFTER first grade so those new cursive writers don’t regress. That’s why you don’t see it scheduled.-you’re not crazy. 3) This year we added the Practice Workbook because our teachers found these pages they developed helped to solidify the skills presented in the lessons. They are scheduled weekly and are recommended.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Comment

I just want to add that you can call or email us to

(1) confirm you were not charged for the books you didn't receive,
        (2) return Core Skills Phonics 2 if you'd like, and
        (3) purchase the new items, again only if you'd like.

One of our representatives can make sure the new items are properly priced as the early release and inclusion of the new manual without the new products was our mistake. You can reach a representative at 1-877-862-1097 and [email protected].

HTH!

Comment

This is all very timely....I ordered stuff and tossed it into the box of leftovers from an older child. I started browsing it today to look for the summer after k reading plan.

I saw the additional spelling workbook earlier this week online, but thought it was supplemental. I love core skills phonics and would still like to use it, but it seems it's been replaced by the workbook. But, I don't think my manual has it listed. Hmm...off to check....

Also, just to clarify, I found an old summer phonics course that went through FSR E, but this is now covered in first grade, yes?

Editing to add: how does this new workbook impact SC? I will be using SC 5/6 with TS ll...was the workbook added to it too?

Thanks!
          Last edited by Colomama; 05-09-2019, 09:33 PM.
          DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
          DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
          DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

We did move FSR E to first grade, so those lesson plans for summer use are outdated. When you figure out what you need, just give us a call!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
              This is all very timely....I ordered stuff and tossed it into the box of leftovers from an older child. I started browsing it today to look for the summer after k reading plan.

I saw the additional spelling workbook earlier this week online, but thought it was supplemental. I love core skills phonics and would still like to use it, but it seems it's been replaced by the workbook. But, I don't think my manual has it listed. Hmm...off to check....

Also, just to clarify, I found an old summer phonics course that went through FSR E, but this is now covered in first grade, yes?

Editing to add: how does this new workbook impact SC? I will be using SC 5/6 with TS ll...was the workbook added to it too?

Thanks!
              I asked about these on a Special Needs thread shortly after the materials were “released” in this thread: https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...be-added-to-sc
              Christine

(2021/2022)
              DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
              DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
              DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thank you all for the explanations! I'll call in soon and speak to a rep about making the necessary exchanges. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X