Delectare Type discussion group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delectare Type discussion group

My oldest daughter has truly loved the Delectare discussion groups that she has done this year. Not only have they made her stay on track with the material, but they have made her think about it much more and learn from others. We are very sad to see them go, and truly thank Jennifer Tutwiler for all of the work she did to put the groups together. I am wondering if anyone wants to try to continue to do these kind of discussion groups? I know nothing about Zoom (the platform used by Delectare), but I have used Blackboard Coursesites before. It is free, and you can have an online classroom where kids could discuss topics. I would love to have a group discussion for things like 7th grade Literature, American/Modern, Famous Men of Greece, and/or Christian Studies IV. I have not ordered curriculum yet, but I think my daughter could also handle 8th grade and maybe 9th grade Literature, Classical, and Christian. If anyone else is interested in trying to put something together for any of these for next year please let me know and let's try to figure out how to do it together.
    JeJe Greer
    Mom to:
    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Hi Jeje!
    I too will miss Delectare! It has been such a blessing for our family! I don't have the ability to organize something right now, but keep me in the loop if you gather interest!
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I loved moderating 6A/7M Lit this year. Even though my child was too old for any of the classes, I signed up to moderate as a way to bolster my online teaching resume. It has been a highlight of my week each week! I would certainly consider doing it again, although I do think there needs to be some kind of token compensation provided to moderators. I would be happy to help something continue.

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
        I loved moderating 6A/7M Lit this year. Even though my child was too old for any of the classes, I signed up to moderate as a way to bolster my online teaching resume. It has been a highlight of my week each week! I would certainly consider doing it again, although I do think there needs to be some kind of token compensation provided to moderators. I would be happy to help something continue.
        I agree, Kristin. We weren’t able to do that because it would have made the program unaffordable for families (the current charge/number of families cover the platform fee). It also would have led to tax responsibilities which we were not in a place to manage.

Our workaround was to refund as much of the program fee for moderators as we could with the little bit of funds left over at the end of each year. But that obviously doesn’t help those who don’t have children in the program! Also, the refund could possibly be seen as income for the moderators. I advised everyone to run it by their tax preparer to be safe.

Another thing to be aware of: because of the limited amounts recieved, co-ops and programs like this receive automatic tax-exempt status; but you’re required to notify the IRS of your existence using a special form. If they discover that you haven’t notified them after three years of running then you lose your automatic tax-exempt status.

Obviously, if you’re using a free platform then the program could be free. But there is a loss of oversight as CourseSites doesn’t allow for a single admin overseeing a group of classes that are headed by different teachers.

Just some things to keep in mind for anyone moving forward!
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
        MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
        MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
        As above, plus:
        MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
        MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Bumping this to let everyone know that I (along with my wife Jessica (jzing)) have been exploring some back-end support that would keep a version of "Delectare" going. I have spoken with Jennifer at length about all that he and her husband put into this program, and I have great admiration for the effort that they expended to support discussion groups for families!

I'm an engineer by trade, but it's been quite some time since I spent time working on website development. That said, I'm happy to try to setup back-end support for folks if this is still of interest to people.

How many of you out there were planning on using Delectare this year (had it been available)?

With the school year approaching soon, I will need to work quickly to get something setup for registration and virtual classroom support. If the interest is there, I'll happily dive in and see what I can do!

Comment

If anyone is interested in Christian Studies I, Greek Myths or MP3 lit, we're in, but it seems to attract slightly older kids.
            Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
            DD 8-3A
            DS 5-SC C

Comment

Ooooooo! I’d be interested in 5M Lit, FMR and FMG for two kiddos!

Comment

We were planning on using Delectare again. It has been an awesome addition to our school year the past 2 years. We are interested in 6M and 9M literature as well as FMOM and Ancient Greeks/Homer.
                Julie S.
                4th year using MP, but 18th year homeschooling (2019-2020)
                DD 24- married , DS 22 - community college, DD 21- married, DS 19- community college,
                DD 17 - 12th grade -MPOA and a mix of MP materials,
                DD 16 - 11th grade a mix of MP materials,
                DS 14 - 9M/8M core,
                DD 11 - 6M core,
                DS 9 - 3M/4M core + finishing up 2nd grade literature + AAS while working through a reading disability (possibly dyslexia)
                DD 7 - 2nd grade core

Comment

Paging MamaHill
                  Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
                  DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
                  DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
                  DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

We would be interested in 6M lit, FMMA, Greek Myths and 3M lit.

Comment

We would be interested in 3M and/or 5M.
                      DD (11) MP 5 R&S 3, SWO C
                      DD (9) MPA 3 R&S 2, SWO B
                      DD(6) MP K
                      DS (4) MP JK
                      DS (2)
                      Baby due 9/27

Comment

Thank you for paging me, DiannaKennedy !

Dianna mentioned Delectare to me a few weeks ago and it sounded like exactly what we needed! I was hoping to get with Jennifer and understand how the process runs/ins & outs, but we've just gone through a very hard season and I didn't have the bandwidth to make that happen.

While I didn't know about Delectare last year, it sounds like a great fit for our family and we would love to participate this year.

When I was considering attempting to restart this myself, I rolled around several ideas. While I don't have first hand experience with this model, it seems as if it would be extremely time consuming for the teacher - prepping the discussion, reading and knowing the material very well, understanding how to run and online discussion, etc.

That being said, our family would be willing to pay a teacher for this.

We would be interested in 7M literature, 5M literature, Famous Men of Greece, Famous Men of Rome.

Thank you!
                        Lauren
                        Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
                        9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus Henle I at home
                        7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
                        5th grade DD: 5M
                        3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
                        2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

My youngest would be up for Greek myths - my oldest is doing 8th grade lit & classical studies 1

Comment

Well, DiannaKennedy , MamaHill , Julia , mewjmw21 Meadowlark Stonefield enbateau Drosner jen1134 Nerdmom jejegreer

klwalukas, Jzing and I have partnered together over the past few weeks, and with Jennifer's help, have re-established a Discussion Groups forum for Memoria Press families called Vita Beata (www.vitabeata.org). Our aim is to continue the traditions established by Jennifer and Delectare but simply under a new name and a different video conferencing tool. For those of you who have participated in Delectare before, this means that you should expect a similar experience (and we'll rely on you all for feedback to help us, especially Jessica and myself since we are newbies to MP discussion groups in general!). For those of you who have wanted to try out these forums, now's your chance.

Comment

Congratulations!! Praying for a wonderful year for everyone!
                              Jennifer
                              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
                              MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
                              MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
                              As above, plus:
                              MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
                              MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Working...
                              X