3rd Grade Enrichment Guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Grade Enrichment Guide?

I'm probably missing something obvious. I just looked up and purchased what I thought were Lesson Plans for 3rd grade Enrichment. However, it's only a schedule of what to read and when - and nothing like the Enrichment Guide from 2nd grade. I was expecting Vocabulary, Discussion Questions, Background Data...Is that a separate book or is this a real change from 2nd grade? Do these wonderful things disappear? I'm dreading this answer.
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
    I'm probably missing something obvious. I just looked up and purchased what I thought were Lesson Plans for 3rd grade Enrichment. However, it's only a schedule of what to read and when - and nothing like the Enrichment Guide from 2nd grade. I was expecting Vocabulary, Discussion Questions, Background Data...Is that a separate book or is this a real change from 2nd grade? Do these wonderful things disappear? I'm dreading this answer.
    Good afternoon Melissa,

3rd grade is the beginning of the grammar stage for us and a big step up from the primary years. Due to the number of new subjects and the increased workload, there is simply not time for the same amount of enrichment as in K-2nd. However, parts of those years' enrichment, such as poetry and science, remain; they are simply formal subjects now.

If you would like to return the lesson plans you purchased since they are not what you expected, you're welcome to return them by emailing [email protected] with your order number and/or the email linked to your account.

HTH!

Comment

And Melissa, don’t worry! You will still be doing an enrichment level with your younger kids! It’s really rare for any family to manage to do more than one of the enrichment guides each year anyway. So choose one to do, and then enjoy learning the ropes of having your first grammar-age student! Trust me - there’s plenty to do!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Definitely return those if you have the MP3 or 3A curriculum guide. The order with which the novels and picture book read-alouds are scheduled isn't even all that important except for when paired with Greek Myths. If this was the Enrichment you were going to do with the whole family instead of MP2 or MP1, it is totally different. Now, the American History supplemental readers do have a guide for MP3. We have enjoyed those questions, but there is no background on the authors as it switches from literature awareness to topic awareness. We're going to be reading many of the MP3 novels this summer anyway. I couldn't give myself a compelling reason to read Winnie-the-Pooh or Indian in the Cupboard alongside anything else, so this summer it is!
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
        5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
        MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Melissa,

I feel your sadness at the end of K-2 enrichment. It is sweet and beautiful. However, I have enjoyed watching this new season blossom. Since my eldest is in 3rd but she has younger siblings, I kept our enrichment time looping back to where my child is. My 3rd grader still enjoys the enrichment but has to be reminded to let the others answer some of the questions. I added the 3rd grade read alouds to our evening routine. Usually the younger children listen in too at varying levels. Since we don’t also read the read alouds in the evening, we won’t finish in a school year. We will just continue savoring each book as we have time.

ETA: If there is a read aloud that correlates with a particular season or Greek myth we are studying, I’ll add that into the school day.
          Heidi

For 2021-22
          dd- 6th
          ds- 3rd
          dd- 1st
          ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Melissa,

3rd grade is the beginning of the grammar stage for us and a big step up from the primary years. Due to the number of new subjects and the increased workload, there is simply not time for the same amount of enrichment as in K-2nd. However, parts of those years' enrichment, such as poetry and science, remain; they are simply formal subjects now.

If you would like to return the lesson plans you purchased since they are not what you expected, you're welcome to return them by emailing [email protected] with your order number and/or the email linked to your account.

HTH!
            Sorry. I wasn't complaining of the cost. The Lesson Plans are fine and in fact, will make it much easier to cut and paste into my digital planner for next year. You are very generous to offer though, so thanks!
            Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
            DS (MP3A) - 8
            DS (1) - 7

Comment

Oh yes. I am lazy. I just loved that I was being spoon fed all the little goodies to the kids without having to come up with it on my own. I'm embarrassed to say, I've not read a single book in the entire 3M enrichment curriculum before. Not. One. Book. I've read some of the picture books - the myths specifically, but in different formats. My schooling covered Edith Hamilton's mythology and I still have my own high school copy. Still - I've never read Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, The Secret Garden, The Indian in the Cupboard, etc. Like Latin, I will be learning right along with them. My kids have become accustomed to having a handy vocabulary list right along side the questions and my oldest - who has some language challenges - has learned to start asking specifically about words that don't make sense to him. I'm just spoiled on K-2. Sheesh.
              Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
              DS (MP3A) - 8
              DS (1) - 7

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD95643B-2445-42FB-8870-D78232C52622.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	111848 Coming out of lurkdom to say, you are in for such a treat. I, too, was new to much of the literature I have read to my children, in what is now 20 years of homeschooling. I urge you to get some of the wonderful audio books that are available from Focus on the Family for titles such as The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, or At the Back of the North Wind. And the audio of Winnie the Pooh, featuring Judie Dench and Geoffrey Palmer, played in the car repeatedly, may very well result in your children speaking rather proficiently with an English accent! These books have helped us create wonderful memories of our time together as a family. On Easter, my 19 yo son was home from college, and we went to the park for pictures. As we approached the bridge that spans the stream that flows through the Rose Garden, my son called out, “Poohsticks!” And there along the bridge, my children gathered to play the game they first learned of from A.A. Milne.

22nd year homeschooling:
                DS 17 (autism, tech genius)
                DD 12, 6A (former micro-preemie; only baby in NICU with a library by her isolette)
                3 bonus students: nephew 13 and twins 8 (SC)
                Graduated:
                DS 29 Working on Master's in Architecture
                DD 20 my right hand: knits incredible things
                Class of '21:
                DD 23, Summa Cum Laude (Self-designed major psych/ communications)
                DS 22 Magna Cum Laude (Philosophy/Music dual major)
                (proof a classical education at home can yield amazing results)

Comment

Ha! My kids say that every time we walk across a bridge too!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
                  DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+