MP Phonics & Reading: Thank You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP Phonics & Reading: Thank You!

We just had box day this weekend (in the midst of an apparently not-so-freakish but crazy nonetheless late April snowstorm that dumped 5” of snow on top of our beautiful boxes before we made it home from our DD’s Confirmation).

And in our box were the new Classical easy readers...which we opened up today. A bit of backstory...I ordered these for my 5 and 7 year olds, but really, it was yet another tactic to try to turn my 7 year old into a “reader.” All her siblings are, but she struggled. It was harder work for her, so she didn’t enjoy it and couldn’t understand why everyone else spends so much time reading.

Tonight, she said, “Mom, TtHANK YOU for these new books. I LOVE them! I love to read!”

You guys totally made me a hero, but in my book, it’s everything that it has taken to get us here from the Kindergarten and First Grade Curricula. We had to take it slow, we had to do things more than once, we had to hang out at times and just practice...but she’s almost done with first grade, and she finally said the magic words, “Mom, I love to read.”

“Thank you” just doesn’t seem to cut it, but anyway,
    thanks.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Last edited by KF2000; 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM.
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Agreed! We purchased them a few weeks ago. My son (also 7) has recently taken off reading! (We bought the whole set), and he read two in one sitting! (He wanted to read a third, but I had to say no! (It was bedtime))
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Yes, exactly! She read two in one sitting, before bed, which was SO HUGE for her. We have tons of other readers, and I have kept telling her to read one before bed, but these were a huge, huge hit.

My five year old devoured them too. She read all BUT two before bed. *face palm*. The difference between two kids in the same house with the same genes is just astounding.

But we had to rejoice over the hard-fought victory!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Celebrating with you! Today was definitely Memoria Press appreciation day, as my mother asked to teach my 5 yo a lesson from his SC B guide. She pulled me aside and said she nearly fell over at how "smart" he is, how much scripture he recited accurately, how well he knew his letters and how nicely he completed his workbook pages. It made my heart happy.

Now you have my curiosity piqued about these readers! My littlest is only at CVC words, but I'm always looking on the horizon.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
        5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
        MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

You can buy them as a set, or individually! https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ollection-set/
          Christine

(2022/2023)
          DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
          DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

I was so happy to see MP have these. I'm a librarian, and we had to look long and hard a year or so ago to get a hold of several of these titles. We had a little guy who had been in with his tutor week after week. He just had to have all of the Treasure Island and Tom Sawyer stories. I think we eventually had to pay to have them brought in from another state through inter-library loan because those titles were out of print at that time. (Maybe they still are?) We saw how far he had come and just had to get them for him somehow.
            Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian. Teaching a "Children's Lit for Educators" class this semester!

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (16) Graduating May 2022!
            Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

Would anyone be willing to send me a picture of the inside of a book? I would love them but fear they may be a little too simple for my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
                Would anyone be willing to send me a picture of the inside of a book? I would love them but fear they may be a little too simple for my daughter.
                Follow the link howiecram posted and then click on the sample at the left
                Katie

DS 17: Senior!
                DD 14: 10th
                DD 10: 6th
                Twin DD's 8: 3rd
                Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Working...
                X