How long for Literature Guides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long for Literature Guides?

I don’t really plan to do a full core next year with my 6th grader but would love to add in some Literature Guides to our existing curriculum. How many weeks should I realistically plan for one book? I’m specifically thinking of D’Aulaires’ Greek Myths and maybe Trojan War or something else that would go with Ancient History.

Trojan War is scheduled for 10 weeks. Some take more or less than that, but since there are usually 4 scheduled per year with about 36 weeks, you can estimate an average of about 9 weeks per book. (In the 6th grade lit package, all the books get about 10 weeks, except Bronze Bow gets about 5 weeks.)
    HTH!

Comment

If you buy the plans, remember that greek Myths is originally scheduled as a 1/wk class for 33 weeks. So about 6-7 weeks if you do it every day and include the reviews and tests.
      The Homeschool Grads:
      J- 6/96
      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
      G- 4/04
      D- 5/05
      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
      M- 9/16

Comment

Also, it might help to know that MP wrote the Greek Myths guide as a classical studies guide and not literature. It is a much different style guide. It’s point is to learn the stories and characters in the Greek Myths so students are familiar when they encounter those characters in their ancient history and literature studies later on. They guide focuses on drilling and retention of key facts and figures. The literature guides are more about learning the vocabulary and reading/writing skills and focus more on questions that help the student “read between the lines” and write out complex thoughts.
        So, while Greek Myths is a wonderful guide and very useful for leading the student through the text and helping them retain key information, it is not written to be a study of great quality literature like the MP literature guides are.
        If you are looking for other books to add to ancient studies you could consider Bronze Bow which is set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus. Also, MP sells a child’s version of Aeneid but I don’t think they have a guide for it.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Thanks for that info! I will plan to do Greek Myths in 9-10 weeks as a “unit study” and just do other read alouds without Guides during that time so it’s not too overwhelming. I may use some Guides from Veritas too although I know they are a bit different

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina_cody View Post
            How many weeks should I realistically plan for one book?
            Good afternoon,

If it helps, you can see how many weeks we schedule for each of our literature guides on this page. We have plans for all the literature guides in our core packages and some of the other guides.

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
            X