Starting FSR/Phonics early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting FSR/Phonics early?

I have a 5 year old who is nearing completion of Jr K. He is advancing well and we look forward to starting K in August. My questions are, would it be a good idea to start FSR/phonics early over the summer? Or would that be me just being an overbearing parent who is chomping at the bit to have his child reading? He is so close! Or should I be patient and just wait until K? Or do something else like Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading, flashcards, etc.? Thoughts and opinions welcome.
    2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
    S - 5, K @ home and HLN
    D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
    S - 2, the master of disasters

I'm teaching my 5 year old "PreKer" how to read now. He can sound out CVC words now with great accuracy. But I don't use MP, I use a different program that I had used for my older kids before I found MP. So I don't know if that's helpful or not. I plan on doing K enrichment with him in the fall (he'll be 5.5 years old), but I'm gonna use all the other skill subject curricula I already have. Once he can read well, well start with Storytime Treasures and pace it out from there.
    ~ Carrie
    Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
    7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
    2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

I would give him the summer, but keep up a 20-30 minute review time each day so things aren't forgotten over the break, especially since he's on a roll with the concepts. Does Jr.K have an 8-week review in the back of the Curriculum Manual like the other levels?
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
      MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
      MPOA: High School Comp. II
      HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
      MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
      MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
      HSC: Modern European History

DS12
      7M with:
      Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
      SC Level 4

DD9
      3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
      Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
      SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
        I would give him the summer, but keep up a 20-30 minute review time each day so things aren't forgotten over the break, especially since he's on a roll with the concepts. Does Jr.K have an 8-week review in the back of the Curriculum Manual like the other levels?
        There is no 8 week review in the curriculum guide for Jr K. But that would be great.
        2019/2020 - 2nd MP Year
        S - 5, K @ home and HLN
        D - 3, rising through minor leagues quickly
        S - 2, the master of disasters

Comment

Michael,

I would save FSR for kindergarten in the fall and have a nice, relaxing summer at the zoo or park! But you might consider the little Rod and Staff preschool books to keep things moving forward. They are cheap. Here they are: https://www.milestonebooks.com/list/...hool/#pageId=2

I hope this link works. I'm at the Cincy homeschool convention and doing this from my phone.

Tanya

Comment

I was like you, chomping at the bit. So we started early. It threw the rest of the core off. But, in your case, you're not using the rest of the core. I'm not really sure whether you'll be using FSR at all or just enrichment.

I think it's important for kids and US to get a summer break to recharge. Special needs kids need consistency and so they are a little different. Doesn't sound like that's the case here.

I think one of the dangers of homeschooling is our ability to school 24 /365. It's also our ability to demand 100% accuracy on everything. I personally caught myself demanding 100% on spelling tests before we moved on to the next list. That's not realistic. I say this because we need to remember that our kids are kids. It's totally age appropriate to learn to read in kindergarten. Some kids do it when they're 3....or so says some blogger on the internet. Good for her kid. I'm totally okay with waiting until kindergarten, or third grade for my SN kiddo.

Your child is rocking his reading. Excellent. Continue reading aloud to him every day. Let him read those little CVC books. I love Pathway publishing and Rod and Staff readers. Browse Tanya's link above. Great stuff at a great price. But take the summer off from the majority of schoolwork....you both deserve it.
            Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
            DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
            DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I'd give you both the summer off! You can continue reading aloud and answering any questions he's asking about letters, sounds, or words, but otherwise pour your energies into rest and recreation this summer!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
              X