No announcement yet.

How you actually get your kids to do their work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Sarah I am going to start following that literature plan. I think it will be a nice reward and something for him to look forward to a few days a week.

Thanks for the comment about mastery in math being defined by oral answer speed and not written. I was a little fuzzy on this and that helps me a lot. We will keep going with R&S and I will try to reduce the number of problems I assign.

Oh gosh, we are with you on difficult parenting. Sounds A LOT like our kids - and myself! I have done some reading about Highly Sensitive/Spirited people/children, and I identify with much of it myself, as do my children. A lot to do with being very very intuitive and taking in a huge amount of sensory input. My intense kids are so trying at times but also have beautiful, funny, creative, passionate personalities... hard to remember when I want to pull my hair out, though!

And for your note about Confession - that is something I have not thought about! I will try to keep that in the front of my mind when I have opportunities to talk with him about good and bad choices. I tend to think in black and white terms, and so I have always assumed that the age of reason is something that probably happens overnight! Haha. But obviously it is a spectrum like anything else. And that age when he realized he could say no was the beginning of that transition.

Thank you for all your help! It has been so valuable to have answers from real people and I will keep asking questions as I have them!

Comment

Thank you for your help, Bean and Christine! I really appreciate your personal experiences with the curriculum and your advice. It is so much better than me, my son and the curriculum, trying to make it work alone! I definitely understand the importance of giving him plenty of writing experience and making sure he is mastering the math curriculum. I think he will do much better if we keep doing it thoroughly but maybe cut a couple things down to every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbie Howard View Post
        Thank you, Sarah I am going to start following that literature plan. I think it will be a nice reward and something for him to look forward to a few days a week.

Thanks for the comment about mastery in math being defined by oral answer speed and not written. I was a little fuzzy on this and that helps me a lot. We will keep going with R&S and I will try to reduce the number of problems I assign.

Oh gosh, we are with you on difficult parenting. Sounds A LOT like our kids - and myself! I have done some reading about Highly Sensitive/Spirited people/children, and I identify with much of it myself, as do my children. A lot to do with being very very intuitive and taking in a huge amount of sensory input. My intense kids are so trying at times but also have beautiful, funny, creative, passionate personalities... hard to remember when I want to pull my hair out, though!

And for your note about Confession - that is something I have not thought about! I will try to keep that in the front of my mind when I have opportunities to talk with him about good and bad choices. I tend to think in black and white terms, and so I have always assumed that the age of reason is something that probably happens overnight! Haha. But obviously it is a spectrum like anything else. And that age when he realized he could say no was the beginning of that transition.

Thank you for all your help! It has been so valuable to have answers from real people and I will keep asking questions as I have them!
        Oh good! I am so glad everything was helpful!
        Have you thought about coming to Sodalitas in the summer? It’s a great couple of days to connect with other MP moms, swap stories and experiences, and learn great strategies of using MP. And you could meet a lot of us!

Have a great Christmas break!
        AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
        DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7