MP vs. CAP Latin Courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP vs. CAP Latin Courses

My grade 4 son is completing Classical Academic Press Song School Latin 2 this year, after having completed Song School Latin 1 in grade 3. He has also had 5 years of Classical Conversations Latin memory work (yes, it's very light). Does anyone know how CAP's programs line up with MP? Would he be ready for First Form next year, or does he need to do Latina Christiana first?
    2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
    DD6, MP Core Grade 1
    DD3, MP Preschool

Shauna,
    So he is a rising 5h grader? If yes, then First Form will be the perfect next step. LC is an optional introductory course for younger students is is not a pre-requisite for FF. Does that help? Also, have you been doing the ecclesiastical or classical pronunciation (ecclesiastical would be v = /v/ and classical would be v = /w/)? FF will be using ecclesiastical.

HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Yes, he's a rising 5th grader, but we were looking at doing 4NU next year. We have been using classical pronunciation up to this point. I don't think it will be too hard to switch over.
      2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
      DD6, MP Core Grade 1
      DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

Hello.

I feel like you could just stick with the Latina Christiana that is scheduled in 4NU. I don't have a copy of Song School Latin here, but I looked it up, and it says it is a "light introduction" to Latin. With Latina Christiana, your student will learn 10 vocabulary words a week and a grammar form. They then practice using those grammar forms in an introductory level. Do you think your student has mastered the first and second declensions; the present, imperfect, and future verb tenses for the 1st and 2nd conjugations; the present system of Sum? Those are the main concepts taught in LC.

Some of this decision depends on the kind of student your child is. If he masters things easily and gets bored with repetitive material, you may want to try First Form. But if he benefits in confidence from review and reinforcement, then you will want to stick with LC. First Form is quite a bit more work, and students who have taken LC benefit from the fact that they already know some of what is in FFL when they begin. For example, LC students moving into FFL will first review the verb tenses they know, and then they will learn new ones. So it's a more friendly course for those who shy away from being bombarded with new material.

Anyway, that's my two cents!

Tanya

Comment

Agreeing with Tanya here knowing that he's doing 4NU next year. Just stick with the entire core and it'll be so seamless! That gives him three years of translation courses in high school which is excellent.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
          @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
          X