Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling with Latin...and possibly time management in our schooling.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    Instead, I work with one child at a time and, because this is focused time (even if the toddler is climbing all over us), they get their work done quicker and better. It also allows us to really work on each child's trouble areas (for us it's phonics and reading and one child hates writing in the guides).
    Jennifer,
    Your comment here really piqued my interest in what this one-at-a-time looks like. Do you work a couple of hours with one child then move on to the next until you have seen everyone through his/her work? Do the others have independent copy work or drill sheets they do while you work with one child?

    Thanks!
    Monica
    Monica
    S - 14
    S - 12

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post

      Jennifer,
      Your comment here really piqued my interest in what this one-at-a-time looks like. Do you work a couple of hours with one child then move on to the next until you have seen everyone through his/her work? Do the others have independent copy work or drill sheets they do while you work with one child?

      Thanks!
      Monica
      I am not Jen and can not speak for her, obviously! However, I do the same. I have tried the round robin, but I do not have the patience for it. My oldest has plenty of “independent” work to move along until I have a “break” between younger siblings. The younger siblings can finish math pages, do copywork, etc. However, honestly my 2nd and under crowd are pretty much free when they are done. I start with the youngest (she is K) and we do the phonics together. There is usually a picture to draw and core skills workbook. We talk about her picture and the instructions for core skills. She moves to a different table and completes. I then work with the 1st grader on phonics/Reading. I also will do a little math drills at the end. He can finish copying the answers we wrote into his Storytime treasures book, draw any pictures and then do his math workbook. I then continue with the oldest and do a few Latin drills and math. Then go back to youngrst to check her work, begin math....
      Christine

      (2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

      Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

      Comment


        #18
        I am loving this and you are all so helpful. With my 9, 7, 4, and 2 (and Thanksgiving baby on the way) I can completely relate. We have had to change things up and slow down and I really appreciate the permission to meet my students and guide them as we get here.
        Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

        2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
        Trekking along at a student self-pace...
        DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
        DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
        DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
        DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
        DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

        Memoria Scholé Academy
        Blog: Creative Madness Mama
        @ CherryBlossomMJ

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by howiecram View Post

          I am not Jen and can not speak for her, obviously! However, I do the same. I have tried the round robin, but I do not have the patience for it. My oldest has plenty of “independent” work to move along until I have a “break” between younger siblings. The younger siblings can finish math pages, do copywork, etc. However, honestly my 2nd and under crowd are pretty much free when they are done. I start with the youngest (she is K) and we do the phonics together. There is usually a picture to draw and core skills workbook. We talk about her picture and the instructions for core skills. She moves to a different table and completes. I then work with the 1st grader on phonics/Reading. I also will do a little math drills at the end. He can finish copying the answers we wrote into his Storytime treasures book, draw any pictures and then do his math workbook. I then continue with the oldest and do a few Latin drills and math. Then go back to youngrst to check her work, begin math....
          Thanks Christine! I am overall very pleased with how we've managed this past academic year- our first in a full core - and having input like yours as to the logistics helps me work how to make our days more efficient.
          Monica
          Monica
          S - 14
          S - 12

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post

            Jennifer,
            Your comment here really piqued my interest in what this one-at-a-time looks like. Do you work a couple of hours with one child then move on to the next until you have seen everyone through his/her work? Do the others have independent copy work or drill sheets they do while you work with one child?

            Thanks!
            Monica
            Sorry for not replying sooner!

            howiecram is more talented than I am. I tried doing the one-on-one rotation by subject but the kids and I still felt scattered. I went back to working with one person on all their work before moving on to the next person. It's worked so far because they only take 30-90 minutes each, depending on the child and the day. When its not their turn, they just play but I keep them in my line of vision. There are plenty of times when I have to tell everyone to be quiet, or have to referee an argument, but overall it works. My 2nd grader has come into her own this year and can do several things independently so she will also do that while she waits and then I check it when it's her turn.

            My middle and high schoolers work independently (lessons are at our co-op and online) and I check in with them in the afternoon as needed. I plan to continue this way next year but it will definitely take longer as two of my primary kids are moving up to higher workloads and we'll no longer be in co-op. A bit nervous on that and still trying to figure out what it will look like!
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

            2021-2022
            DS18: Almost done!
            DS17: MP, MPOA
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD9: SC3
            DD6: MPK

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

              Sorry for not replying sooner!

              howiecram is more talented than I am. I tried doing the one-on-one rotation by subject but the kids and I still felt scattered. I went back to working with one person on all their work before moving on to the next person. It's worked so far because they only take 30-90 minutes each, depending on the child and the day. When its not their turn, they just play but I keep them in my line of vision. There are plenty of times when I have to tell everyone to be quiet, or have to referee an argument, but overall it works. My 2nd grader has come into her own this year and can do several things independently so she will also do that while she waits and then I check it when it's her turn.

              My middle and high schoolers work independently (lessons are at our co-op and online) and I check in with them in the afternoon as needed. I plan to continue this way next year but it will definitely take longer as two of my primary kids are moving up to higher workloads and we'll no longer be in co-op. A bit nervous on that and still trying to figure out what it will look like!
              Thanks Jennifer! I confess, I am still looking for my magic bullet. My older son seems to need a lot more handholding, even though he is in upper elementary now, so these sorts of insights into other families' rhythms are helpful. Good luck with the coming changes! Having read many of your posts and insights, I have all confidence in you!
              Monica
              Monica
              S - 14
              S - 12

              Comment

              Working...
              X