Placement questions, 1st and jrK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement questions, 1st and jrK

I started out looking at the Simply Classical stuff for my 8 yr old with some special needs, but am now considering jumping in to full or nearly full cores next year with my younger kids.
    I have a 6 year old girl turning 7 in October. She is currently working through and will complete by the end of this school year primary phonics 3 and a spiral 1st grade math program. What should I make sure we cover so that she is ready for first in the fall?
    I also have 3 year old boy turning 4 the end of August. Seeing as he makes the public school cutoff by only three days I wasn't in a rush to start and was considering doing SC B and C and starting K when he is 6, but he only missed getting 100 on the B readiness test because he needs more practice cutting. He knows all his letter names and sounds (consonants and short vowels), understands the concept of blending sounds to make words and can count with 1 to 1 correspondence to 14. Would you recommend going ahead with jrK in the fall reevaluating as needed?

I do recommend Jr. K. He already knows some letters and can count with one to one correspondence. Level C covers much of the Jr. K but overlaps into K. If your goal is to use the regular tract this means he would be repeating some material as Level C covers the first book of First Start Reading. If there are no learning challenges, go with regular Jr. K. It is mild yet preparatory!r

Comment

I vote JrK, absolutely.
      Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · 8th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
      Trekking along at a student self-pace...
      DD Summer 2009 · 5th
      DD Summer 2011 · SC4
      DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
      DD Summer 2017 · Pre
      DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
      Blog: Creative Madness Mama
      CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by twinbirches View Post
        I started out looking at the Simply Classical stuff for my 8 yr old with some special needs, but am now considering jumping in to full or nearly full cores next year with my younger kids.
        I have a 6 year old girl turning 7 in October. She is currently working through and will complete by the end of this school year primary phonics 3 and a spiral 1st grade math program. What should I make sure we cover so that she is ready for first in the fall?
        I came from a "spiral approach" to math with my kids when I found MP. I was really frustrated with my "spiral approach" and it's absolute failure. I wrote about it here - https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...and-staff-math.

Even with the relatively few real gains I saw in that spiral approach, the R&S 2 was a fantastic "re-boot" and my boys are thriving on it. They are currently memorizing addition and subtraction in the 15's. That's farther than my grade school went (12's). I've have both my first and second grader doing R&S2. It's not as "pretty" as the spiral books (I used Horizon), but it's beauty is in the meat of it and the mastery the kids come away with. I can't recommend this product more. You don't need to "prep" for it. Just start at lesson 1 and go.

Melissa
        Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
        DS (MP2) - 7/8
        DS (K) - 6
        DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Working...
        X