X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: National Latin Exam Statement of Diversity and Inclusion

Text from the email sent to those registered for this year's exam:

"Salvete, omnes!

The National Latin Exam is working continuously to create a positive and productive experience for all students and teachers. In that light we have created a Statement of Diversity and Inclusion which outlines our goals and the plans we have to reach those goals. Please read the attached document and, if you have any problems or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Respectfully,
    Mark Keith and Linda Montross, Co-Chairs of the National Latin Exam"

Text from the actual statement:

"NATIONAL LATIN EXAM’S STATEMENT
    ON DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION

The National Latin Exam promotes and supports the teaching and learning of the Latin language,
    its literature and culture, and its lasting influence in the modern world. As part of the American
    Classical League (“ACL”), the National Latin Exam affirms the same beliefs that the ACL
    shared with its membership. For those of you who did not receive ACL’s email, you will find our
    shared core values here:
     We welcome diverse ideas and perspectives and encourage broad participation in
    ACL-sponsored activities and endeavors.
     We embrace all people who have an interest in the ancient world from all levels of
    instruction, stages of life, and backgrounds.
     We believe the study of Classics should intentionally explore the diversity of ancient
    Greek and Roman societies and include voices that historically have been excluded or
    under-represented.

The NLE is committed to creating exams with inclusive, affirming questions and passages. The
    NLE will strive to provide questions and passages that affirm the worth and dignity of all
    students and teachers.
    In particular, the NLE will add several readers during the exam writing process who will
    specifically focus on diversity and inclusion to ensure that our exams reflect our shared values
    listed above. In addition, the NLE will explore ways to incorporate questions that help combat
    systems of oppression. The NLE will be meeting with The University of Mary Washington’s
    Office of Diversity and Inclusion to explore ways to provide more equity and inclusion on future
    exams. The NLE plans to review all old questions on its online app and to remove any that do
    not align with the NLE’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
    In short, NLE writers plan to compose and assess questions with greater awareness moving
    forward. We are grateful for those who have raised concerns about diversity, inclusion, and
    equity, and we welcome future dialogue regarding ways the NLE can support these values.
    Please do not hesitate to contact Co-Chairs Mark Keith ([email protected]), Linda Montross
    ([email protected]), and Patty Lister ([email protected]).
    Respectfully,
    The National Latin Exam Committee"

Does anyone know what this will actually look like on the exam? Has Anyone at HLS, MP, or CLSA (or beyond!) heard anything about this prior to today's email?
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

You're not the only one. I spent 20 minutes live chatting with a testing representative to find out if my child needs to be fluent in Mx., Zir and their (vs his/her) for a test that has been normed to 2018. I suppose a call or email should satisfy those questions.

Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
    5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
    MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

How can NLE questions regardless of content “combat systems of oppression”?
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

I told the head of our Latin dept. that the oppressed people in Rome were women, and he is okay if they want to add some questions about women. But who else was oppressed? I can't believe we are going in this direction with this test. Will we also have to put what pronoun the students want to go by like they have to do in colleges these days?

Sheesh.

Comment

Dorinda, I know.

Originally posted by tanya View Post

Sheesh.
          ​​​
          I think this was my actual out loud response when I read it. How about just encouraging more people to study Latin and read works that were written in Latin? I was talking with a parent the other day about Greek Tragedies and we were getting a laugh about how it doesn't have to be modern to be relevant. Humans are humans. Sin is sin. Virtue is virtue. If I take the time to write them an email I'll let you all know. This is the kind of thing that feels fruitless to attempt, but maybe that's why I should write.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
          DD 7th • HLN & Home
          DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

I told the head of our Latin dept. that the oppressed people in Rome were women, and he is okay if they want to add some questions about women. But who else was oppressed? I can't believe we are going in this direction with this test. Will we also have to put what pronoun the students want to go by like they have to do in colleges these days?

Sheesh.
            Two things...
            All the slaves and Christians getting fed to the lions might have felt a bit oppressed as well. I don’t mind questions about Christian martyrs.

I have been wondering how long before some of these schools either quit teaching Latin or try to change the language. The whole only masculine/feminine and the concept of “natural gender” must be particularly galling. As a aside, can you even imagine trying to make all your nouns and adjectives agree with unlimited gender options?
            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
            15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Freshman
            DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
            DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
            DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Sheesh.
              That says it all
              Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
              DS (MP3A) - 8
              DS (1) - 7
              DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

[QUOTE=Mom2mthj;n111484]

All the slaves and Christians getting fed to the lions might have felt a bit oppressed as well. I don’t mind questions about Christian martyrs.

Ha! So true! Bring on the Nero questions!

Comment

I am highly curious as to the content of the “concerns” or complaints about questions on the exam. I’m going to contact them when I get the chance.
                  Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
                  Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
                  Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Comment

And we all want to know what they say!

Comment

Amazing. *head desk*
                      Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                      DD Summer 2009 · 7th
                      DD Summer 2011 · SC
                      DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
                      DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
                      DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
                      MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
                      Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                      @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

I'm thinking this policy has more to do with not making the translation scenarios gender role specific. For example, a boy might be helping set the table, or a girl might be studying - gender roles that would not have been common in ancient Rome, but that are common in our modern times. I can't see that it would be bad for modern students to be able to have translation exercises that are balanced in this way. I really don't see this as imposing gender neutral language on the study of Latin!
                        Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
                        DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
                        DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Ridiculous post-modern nonsense. I find myself increasingly wondering where all the actual grown-ups have gone.
                          Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
                            I'm thinking this policy has more to do with not making the translation scenarios gender role specific. For example, a boy might be helping set the table, or a girl might be studying - gender roles that would not have been common in ancient Rome, but that are common in our modern times. I can't see that it would be bad for modern students to be able to have translation exercises that are balanced in this way. I really don't see this as imposing gender neutral language on the study of Latin!
                            That's why I'm curious what they mean and was curious if anyone actually knew. Clear is kind and in the absence of specifics it's tempting to make guesses. I guess I'll send them a, "What does this actually mean?" email.
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
                            DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

I sent a “can you please clarify what this means?” email but haven’t received a response yet. What Kristin is saying works fine for me. Not condoning racism or slavery is fantastic. Anything beyond that is the responsibility of a parent to address, not a school or a Latin exam.
                              Jennifer
                              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
                              DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
                              DS15: MP, MPOA
                              DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                              DD10: SC3
                              DD7: MPK

Comment

Working...
                              X