Middle School Science Tiner vs. Novare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle School Science Tiner vs. Novare

I'm trying to get science nailed down for my rising 7th grader for next year and could use some help.

After reading forum science posts ad nauseam and talking it over with my husband until he probably can't take another sentence about it, I've come to the conclusion that my girl needs physical science in 7th. She has minimal background when it comes to formal science, and has only gotten through Tiner's Hx of Medicine this year. (I'm totally okay with her not having formal science, as she's spent half her life outside.)

As I understand it, I have two physical science options for next year:
    1) Novare Physical Science
    2) Using Tiner books to create a type of physical science course

If I used Tiner books, what would that look like? I'm assuming I would need Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry, right? (I know these seem like basic questions. Please bare with me!)

I looked at MPOA Middle School Science I and II and it looks like they use a trio of Tiner books for those courses.

Has anyone used this sequence of Tiner Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry? If so, how did you arrange the year? And how much work was there each week?

I'm trying to decide which road would be less intense - either Novare or Tiner.

I'm planning physical science for 7th and then Novare's Earth Science for 8th.

This same child will be doing mostly MP 7M, but won't start Pre-Algebra until the middle of the year (finishing up R&S 6). She'll also be in 2nd Form with MPOA. She loves to read, but is a slower, more methodical reader. I don't want to overload her with reading, especially with all of the other reading in 7M.

Any advice on Novare vs. Tiner? And if Tiner, how is it best to structure the weekly assignments?

Thank you!
    Lauren
    We're new to MP this year! :)
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
    8th grade DS: HSed through 6th grade; at a University-Model School this year
    6th grade DD: Mix of 5M/6M Core and MPOA FFL
    4th grade DD: Mostly 4NU Core
    2nd Grade DD: MP 1st Grade Core & math from 2nd
    22-month old Pudding Pie

Waving ..... I can't believe you haven't Voxered me! 😂

We did MS science I (Astronomy, Exploring Earth, and Medicone) in 6th and we are doing Middle School Science II now in 7th. (Biology, Chemistry, Physics). We will do Novare Physical Science next fall for 8th grade.

Last edited by DiannaKennedy; 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM.
    Plans for 2019-20
    DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
    DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #6: 5, MP K at home

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Very helpful!! Thank you, Friend! xoxo
      Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
      22-month old Pudding Pie

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        I can send you the syllabus for our class to help you plan, if that helps with planning the weekly assignments. I can also let you know the experiments we did .
        I'd be interested in this too! We're planning to cover the Tiner Planet Earth, Biology, Chemistry in a little 2 family co-op next year.
        Amanda
        Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by MamaHill View Post

Has anyone used this sequence of Tiner Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry? If so, how did you arrange the year? And how much work was there each week?

Lauren
          Yes, I had my son do this sequence along with Tiner's biology to add extra meat to another science curriculum. My son thoroughly enjoyed these books. I think they are a wonderful introduction the the hard sciences. I don't have experience with Novare yet, so I can't compare them.
          DS, 13, 8th grade
          DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post

Yes, I had my son do this sequence along with Tiner's biology to add extra meat to another science curriculum. My son thoroughly enjoyed these books. I think they are a wonderful introduction the the hard sciences. I don't have experience with Novare yet, so I can't compare them.
            Thanks for your reply, Sugarbelle. Would you be willing to share what a week or two looked like at your house with the three Tiner books? How many chapters were covered each week, if you used any supplement experiments (or are they included in the book?), etc.

Thank you!
            Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
            22-month old Pudding Pie

Comment

Originally posted by MamaHill View Post

Thanks for your reply, Sugarbelle. Would you be willing to share what a week or two looked like at your house with the three Tiner books? How many chapters were covered each week, if you used any supplement experiments (or are they included in the book?), etc.

Thank you!
              Sure! We've done them over the past two years in conjunction with The Rainbow Science curriculum. So for 7th grade, physics was first and I had my son read two Rainbow lessons a week and one Tiner chapter spread over two days. Then he took the chapter quiz in Tiner. On Fridays he did experiments that were a part of The Rainbow curriculum. We also did it this way for chemistry and biology. The topics in Tiner didn't match up with The Rainbow lessons, but that didn't make any difference.

There are only a few simple experiments in the physics book, but none in the astronomy and chemistry books that I could find. We didn't use the MP guides, so maybe there are experiments included in them. Someone else who used them will have to answer that. The astronomy book has "Explore More" suggestions at the end of each chapter if you want to go deeper, but the other two books don't for some reason.

The biology book is great, too! The books are short enough that you can cover four in a year if you want.

I hope this is helpful.
              DS, 13, 8th grade
              DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarbelle View Post

Sure! We've done them over the past two years in conjunction with The Rainbow Science curriculum. So for 7th grade, physics was first and I had my son read two Rainbow lessons a week and one Tiner chapter spread over two days. Then he took the chapter quiz in Tiner. On Fridays he did experiments that were a part of The Rainbow curriculum. We also did it this way for chemistry and biology. The topics in Tiner didn't match up with The Rainbow lessons, but that didn't make any difference.

There are only a few simple experiments in the physics book, but none in the astronomy and chemistry books that I could find. We didn't use the MP guides, so maybe there are experiments included in them. Someone else who used them will have to answer that. The astronomy book has "Explore More" suggestions at the end of each chapter if you want to go deeper, but the other two books don't for some reason.

The biology book is great, too! The books are short enough that you can cover four in a year if you want.

I hope this is helpful.
                Well, that bolded part made me laugh out loud because we've had a hard time getting through JUST History of Medicine this year! I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry about that!

In our defense, we are new to MP cores this year (but not Latin) after a tough housing move, and it's been quite a difficult year trying to work in as much of the MP cores that we can muster within our big(ish) family.

It's interesting you mention the biology book, because that's the one my rising 7th grader wants to do the most! I didn't even consider it because she is a a thorough but SLOWER reader and I don't want to overload her.

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you!!
                Mama to 5 Sweet Ones:
                22-month old Pudding Pie

Comment

Working...
                X