X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cshannon
    started a topic Testing

Testing

I homeschool my daughters and want to give them some standardized tests to see how they are doing realtive to that type of testing. They have been using Memoria Press curriculums for many years. They are in the 4th grade and 6th grade. What tests do you recommend and where is a good place to buy them? Thanks!

• enbateau
    replied
    If you haven't taught it, I wouldn't add it as an additional stressor for which to cram. HLS doesn't do that portion. When you get the testing booklet, it will be clear which sections are Language Arts and Math, and which ones aren't. Read through the overview at the beginning for all the procedures.

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Hello.

We give the ITBS at Highlands Latin. But we only do the math and language parts of the test - not science or social studies.

Tanya
    So we will be doing the testing the week. Fingers crossed! I noticed that there is another section of the test - "Sources of Information" which covers maps and dictionaries and it follows the Social Studies and Science. Based on only doing the Math and Language parts, does that mean that HLS doesn't do this section either ? The maps section alone would actually require an investment of time to cover and learn. I'm kind of assuming this section isn't done.

Leave a comment:

• Eve
    replied
    Thank you so much Michael! You are always so helpful!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Eve View Post
    I was thinking of ordering the CAT test just because I get mail every year from a co. called Academic Excellence that sells it . I was going to order a written test . Does anyone know the difference between the CAT & ITBS ?
    Good afternoon Eve,

The HSLDA actually provides a helpful summary of several major standardized tests. Here's a direct link.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Eve
    replied
    I was thinking of ordering the CAT test just because I get mail every year from a co. called Academic Excellence that sells it . I was going to order a written test . Does anyone know the difference between the CAT & ITBS ?

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    I ordered Form A like Michael said. Strangely, I think my kids are looking forward to it but it feels more like my report card. Just Mom nerves.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good afternoon Melissa,

At HLS, we use Form A, though we plan to switch to Form G once the ITBS completely discontinues Form A (which they are in the process of doing).

HTH!
    That's why we switched to E this year. I figure it's better to let her experience the learning curve now, whatever that may be. Testing only gets harder as you age, so I wanted her to have as much familiarity with the new ITBS, which was normed in 2011 and 2017.

You do have to have a B.A. or B.S. to administer it, unless you go through a testing administration center. There are plenty of mom n pop companies in our area that do this. Try looking around FB

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by MBentley View Post

Specifically, which test does ITBS do (A or E)? And how do you not do the science or social studies? Will MP allow parents to order these tests?
    Good afternoon Melissa,

At HLS, we use Form A, though we plan to switch to Form G once the ITBS completely discontinues Form A (which they are in the process of doing). In order to only take the math and language arts portion of the ITBS, choose the Survey Battery as opposed to the Complete Battery. Finally, you will need to go through a school or testing service to obtain the exam.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    Seton Testing is in our state, and they have been phenomenal. They ship across the US as a test rental. The "Iowa" is the ITBS, btw. We are trying ITBS Form E this year. We picked early June as a test week so we can brush up on some things we didn't get around to. I enjoy it, and so does my eldest. I do the SS and science part, but if you don't want the results printed for the state, don't do that portion. There is a for-pay option I think where you can get mailed just the math and LA portion if you want the SS and science scored but not submitted. Also, you have every right to black out unrelated scores when submitting them to your state. Otherwise, just don't do that portion.

Leave a comment:

• MBentley
    replied
    Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Hello.

We give the ITBS at Highlands Latin. But we only do the math and language parts of the test - not science or social studies.

Tanya
    Specifically, which test does ITBS do (A or E)? And how do you not do the science or social studies? Will MP allow parents to order these tests?

Leave a comment:

• Nerdmom
    replied
    My kids love standardized testing. They call it "bubble school" and look forward to the break from their regular academics.
    We test during Holy Week, and we'll do testing, Latin, math, and violin, and then call it a day. It's nice to have a lighter work load in a week when we have a lot at church/home in preparation for Easter.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    We do IOWA and order from Seton as well. It was nerve-wracking the first time, but my daughter felt so much pride at feeling like she knew so many answers. I was especially surprised at the things she did well on in the social studies portion, even though we did zero curriculum on that. I don't know if we just happened to pick a few books from the library or whether all good parents who teach manners and social responsibility will have kids who do well on that part, but it was fun all the same.

We have to report to our state annually, so I do the cheapest and most thorough. I liked that it had multiple modalities of testing, visual only (students read), auditory only (proctor reads but there is no question for the student to read) and combined where they listen and read along with you. She also got some awareness of filling in dark marks, how to change your answer (erase fully), not make stray marks in a test booklet, and use her time and scratch paper effectively.

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied
    My eldest just took the ITBS Form E. We took it through BJU Press: https://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/c...online-testing and had a great experience. Both my daughter and I learned things, such as standardized testing doesn’t have to be scary, how to take a test online and we can sit for 2.5 hours if required. I had the pleasure of sitting next to her and reading the problems as she took the test. It was encouraging to watch her solve math problems that hadn’t been specifically covered in Rod & Staff yet but the foundational skills were in place. We did take the science and social studies portions, mostly because I didn’t know how to opt out of them. We haven’t received our results yet, but I found it to be a valuable experience for the time and money we spent on it.

Leave a comment:

• MamaHill
    replied
    I'm in NC where we're required to test yearly.

Some years I've paid big bucks for Woodcock-Johnson because I needed specific results so I knew how to move forward.

Other years, I've used the CAT from setontesting.com.

Last year, we moved in the spring and I TOTALLY FORGOT to order the CAT tests. My girls ended up doing the Stanford Online Achievement Test (also through Seton testing), since I didn't have to wait for the test to arrive in the mail. This was my least favorite since it was computerized.

There are lots of options!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X