Morning Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post

Callista, I think my whole homeschool experience has been #2 - good in theory! I've really been mulling over what is and isn't working for us. Now that my oldest is getting past those primary years, I am seeing that many, many things that are promoted among homeschool circles are not effective in *actually* teaching. Morning Time - while it is something my kids expect and enjoy for the most part - sometimes feels like I'm just throwing information out into the wind and no one is responding, remembering, connecting...all the things I'm expecting to happen, but aren't. For instance, we have memorized a timeline set to music for the last 5 1/2 years. Turn the CD on, my son can sing along. Ask him later to tell me what happened first, the Spanish Inquisition or World War I, and he doesn't have a clue. Lots of curricula/publishers/leaders in homeschool seem to discourage actual teaching. Maybe because that can be very overwhelming, especially with multiple children in multiple grades? Maybe because it takes a lot more preparation on my part than just opening a book and reading aloud or turning on a CD/DVD? I don't know.

If you need a hard definite start to your morning and you have a routine that brings your household order for getting started and discipline to keep going throughout the day then keep that routine! As you mentioned earlier, maybe just shorten it. *Morning Prayer, *Scripture for the week, *Read Aloud or Poem. Then break for individual school work.

FWIW: From reading your posts, I think it sounds like you are doing a beautiful job. I think that part of your, "mulling over what is and isn't working," is just growing pains. They are good because it is allows you to adjust your home for what you need each year and as your kids get older and change, how their needs can be met. It is also part of the learning curve of starting with Memoria Press.

I just have to also say (opinion) that if the song you are referring to is the, "CC Timeline Song," I hear ya. It's a great song and super catchy but you will be fine to drop that. I promise. They will likely not be able to tell you what event comes first or second without going through the entire 15 minute song. Yikes!

We have done different things in different seasons but with where we are right now, we start our day with breakfast and chores. I have one who gets up earlier and one who needs a little extra sleep so this happens at different times. I have lists for them of what I want them to do and they get started. I usually star or highlight what they need to do with me teaching. We usually come together around lunch time. This is where we will pray together before our meal and then listen to a story. I love Audible so we always have a story going from one of the two cores that we are currently doing. They each always love the books and I have not run into a book yet that hasn't worked for both of them. We listen to a chapter or two and then just casually, over lunch, discuss different things about it. On the rare occasion that I forget to have the book out, it is always the first things they mention. It is a small, seemingly irrelevant, routine that we have that brings us together. I think (*I hope*) it will be a memory they will carry with them when they are older.

A time of family togetherness in this homeschooling journey is important. You will just have to trouble shoot your day to see what works for you and for your combination of ages. This looks different for everyone. Again, I think it sounds like you have a definite hold on this and are doing a beautiful job *in reality*!!!
    Last edited by Callista; 04-09-2019, 08:13 AM. Reason: left out the quote
    Callista
    Long time homeschooler with MP

Comment

Thanks, Callista. I really appreciate your encouragement!
      2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
      DD6, MP Core Grade 1
      DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post
        Morning Time seems like a natural way to start the school day. Since we've always done it that way, I'm struggling to think through how the school day would begin. Do you have some kind of morning meeting to get everyone started on their individual work? Do your kids just grab their stuff and get to work? pickandgrin , I think it is that hard start to the day that I rely on!
        After breakfast and brushing teeth and all that, we have short devotions, a weekly memory verse, and prayer. It takes about fifteen or twenty minutes and then the kids begin their work. It's a great way for us to start the day.
        DS, 13, 8th grade
        DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

[QUOTE=Callista;n111287]

"I just have to also say (opinion) that if the song you are referring to is the, "CC Timeline Song," I hear ya. It's a great song and super catchy but you will be fine to drop that. I promise. They will likely not be able to tell you what event comes first or second without going through the entire 15 minute song. Yikes!"

This was our experience, too.
          DS, 13, 8th grade
          DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Working...
          X