Morning Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Time?

I am preparing to transition my children over to MP next school year. We have always had a "morning time" that included memory work, prayers & scripture, combined history, combined science, and read alouds. As I think about juggling 2 cores next year (grade 1 and likely grade 4 for new users, along with a preschooler), I wonder if anyone does a sort of morning time to begin your day? What would that look like if everyone is following different curriculum guides?
    2019-20 First Year with Memoria Press!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
    DD6, MP Core Grade 1
    DD3, MP Preschool

Each child will have their own memory work, history, science, etc. However, I was wondering how long it currently takes you to get through these subjects? I would think that you could keep the prayers & scripture and read aloud, but then if you plan to do the full cores, keep everyone in their own history/science. I would probably use the read aloud from grade 1 for everyone and use that as your focus for morning time. The history/science, etc is built into the grade 1 enrichment. Your 4NU could have the read alouds done scheduled in that guide at bedtime. Last summer, I asked my husband to start reading to my oldest (I kept reading to your two youngest) and he LOVEd it more than I could have ever imagined. My daughter also has come to enjoy this time. They actually "ran out of books" and they started through the next grade's read aloud and a few other recommended books. It gave her the "little more" she needed. She still loves listening to the read aloud books in the K-2 enrichment guides and happily participates.

Welcome to MP!
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

We spend about an hour in Morning Time. I could reduce that time to about 30 minutes and just do scripture, prayer and read aloud. I like the idea of doing the 4NU read alouds at bedtime with him separately. We've always read aloud together, but he might really enjoy that one-on-one time with Dad. Do the cores have scripture memory built in?

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
      DD6, MP Core Grade 1
      DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunaN View Post
        We spend about an hour in Morning Time. I could reduce that time to about 30 minutes and just do scripture, prayer and read aloud. I like the idea of doing the 4NU read alouds at bedtime with him separately. We've always read aloud together, but he might really enjoy that one-on-one time with Dad. Do the cores have scripture memory built in?
        That sounds like a good plan! MP includes the KJV of memory verses in their cores.
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

We had a few years of morning time, but with 3 cores, it just got to be too much. I had to prioritize. Sometimes we still sing a hymn and pray to start our day, but we don't do a full morning time. Your kids are young enough that you could still do something like that for a couple more years. I would suggest paring it down to just a few things, though. Your cores will be full of wonderful things!
          Melanie
          2019-2020 ~ 6th MP year; 11th year homeschooling
          DD16 ~ 10th grade MPOA diploma program
          DD13 ~ 8th grade
          DS11 ~ 5th grade

Comment

We always start the day with breakfast, prayer and Bible, which takes about 45 min. They do chores for 15-20 min (make bed, jammies in hamper, dressed, teeth, hair) and meet in the HS room for Pledge of Allegiance, MP2 prayer and Recitation. Then we split. Tues-Thurs is sometimes straight from chores to pledge and independent work. Our Bible time is never related to MP Christian Studies or Bible. My kids and I love it and need it. Poetry and scripture memory happens at the board or lunch table.
            Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
            DD 9-3A
            DS 6-SC C

Comment

I generally find that things like this fall into one of two categories: #1= good idea in reality and #2= good idea in theory. The morning time activities really only worked for us when the children were very little (K-2 cores). As they grew and the cores became more, I found it easier and more harmonious to just allow each to get started once they woke up and had their breakfast/chores competed. It removed the chaos of waiting around for everyone to get where they needed to be at a certain time and less time was wasted. I think having a morning time is very idyllic to a lot of homeschoolers but for us it was definitely one of those things that just looked better on paper (category #2).

If it works for you to do morning time then I would do the first grade read aloud together and the other enrichment pieces as was mentioned above. All of the children of your ages will love that and even the fourth grader will glean a lot of from it. It may also be that your, "morning time," activities fit in better at a different time during the day (after lunch or afternoon outside time for example).
              Callista
              Long time homeschooler with MP

Comment

Just chiming in to agree with Callista. We were diehard morning-timers for a few years until it started taking away from our homeschool rather than giving to it. I didn't even hear of morning time as a homeschooler until we were several years in! It was not a wildly discussed phenomenon in 2012. Ha!

I'd encourage you to think about your priorities that MT fulfills (reading together, prayer, Bible, memory work, hard start to the day together, etc.) and then look for how MP is meeting some/all of those needs in the cores. Once you get a better feel for what is already getting done, then you can add back in anything you feel is missing. And, each year will be different. Things that you have time for now will shift as they grow. Embracing the uniqueness of each season in your family's life is one of the blessings of homeschooling. As Callista mentioned, a different time of the day might be key--hot tea after lunch or something. Please let us know how this works out as your transition and decide!
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

We use the K-2 Enrichment (we’re currently using 1) and one of the older kid’s read alouds for our morning time over breakfast. I begin with the older child’s read aloud so he can go get started on his work as soon as he finishes breakfast. He usually sticks around for the little’s story and his favorite Enrichment activities My 1st grader is usually ready for a break after Enrichment so I finish up with my 2nd grader’s recitation, Latin flashcards, Memory verse & a quick run through of spelling words. I like to begin by 8 and never allow it go go past 9:00(after the routine is established). If I don’t do Enrichment first, it doesn’t get done. We’re pretty consistent with getting the “real work” finished afterwards.
                  ~Sarah~

2019-2020
                  DS 8th grade MP, CTP & IEW
                  DD 3rd grade MP
                  DD 2nd grade MP
                  DD 7th grade away school
                  DD Sophomore away school

Comment

enbateau, thanks for sharing how it looks in your house. I can see that working well for us.

Callista, I think my whole homeschool experience has been #2 - good in theory! I've really been mulling over what is and isn't working for us. Now that my oldest is getting past those primary years, I am seeing that many, many things that are promoted among homeschool circles are not effective in *actually* teaching. Morning Time - while it is something my kids expect and enjoy for the most part - sometimes feels like I'm just throwing information out into the wind and no one is responding, remembering, connecting...all the things I'm expecting to happen, but aren't. For instance, we have memorized a timeline set to music for the last 5 1/2 years. Turn the CD on, my son can sing along. Ask him later to tell me what happened first, the Spanish Inquisition or World War I, and he doesn't have a clue. Lots of curricula/publishers/leaders in homeschool seem to discourage actual teaching. Maybe because that can be very overwhelming, especially with multiple children in multiple grades? Maybe because it takes a lot more preparation on my part than just opening a book and reading aloud or turning on a CD/DVD? I don't know.

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
                    DD6, MP Core Grade 1
                    DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

Morning Time seems like a natural way to start the school day. Since we've always done it that way, I'm struggling to think through how the school day would begin. Do you have some kind of morning meeting to get everyone started on their individual work? Do your kids just grab their stuff and get to work? pickandgrin , I think it is that hard start to the day that I rely on!

DS10, MP Core Grade 5
                      DD6, MP Core Grade 1
                      DD3, MP Preschool

Comment

We do a morning time. First thing as everyone rolls out of bed. We watch CNN 10 together, listen to a hymn or a folk song and do Bible study. They eat breakfast sometime during and then we break to prepare ourselves and our home for the day before we start on the rest of our school. It works well for us as a way to wake up and begin the day together. My kids are 7th grade and younger.

Comment

Morning Time seems like a natural way to start the school day. Since we've always done it that way, I'm struggling to think through how the school day would begin. Do you have some kind of morning meeting to get everyone started on their individual work? Do your kids just grab their stuff and get to work? pickandgrin , I think it is that hard start to the day that I rely on!
                          If you have established a good working morning routine and you enjoy it, I would not necessarily stop it. You may just need to cut a few things out. The "morning time" would be more of a family culture vs. school work. If it is something you have grown to look forward to, then pick a few things you really love/need and then move on, drop the rest!

My kids are haphazard in when they wake up. I tried something like a morning time for years. I get frustrated. The kids eat breakfast, I have usually finished and enjoy coffee and e-mail/facebook. Around 8:30 I start moving kids along. I usually work with my youngest while my older two finish up breakfast and morning chores. I finish with my youngest (about 20 min for phonics) and then move to the middle child (my oldest begins her Latin) for his phonics (another 20 min). (The youngest does her workbook for math at this time) I move back to my youngest to do some math drills (son works on math workbook) (oldest moves to her math if she is done with Latin). At this point the youngest have done math and phonics (literature) and if nothing else gets done for them, we are A. ok. I move on to the oldest at this point. We work for awhile. It's time for lunch. We have lunch. After lunch, we do enrichment with the youngest two (oldest finds work she can do without me). Then my oldest and I finish up the rest of her work. (I currently have a K, 1 and 3rd grader) Mondays are the longest, where Thursdays are actually quite short.

Next year, I am planning to stagger the 1st day of the week for each child, because the 1st day is usually the longest. I hope this will balance our week.

I also want you to keep in mind that the beautiful curriculum guide is a GUIDE, and you do not have to do what it says exactly as it says. In the younger years you might find a child moving more quickly in one subject than another. The dishwasher might crash one day and the repair guy comes and your afternoon subjects are now a "day behind". Just do the next thing, check the boxes so you know what you have done and move on!
                          Christine

(2019/2020)
                          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Yes, 3 of 4 kids just grab their work and get going whenever they get up several before eating, and that can only work if they know what to do on their own and have their plans to go by. After 7 years of MP, we are there! With younger kids I wouldn't expect this and/or with being new to MP. This is a long, slow building of who can do what without mom. My first grader is the only one who needs me to be at elbow to get work done. At the beginning of the year everyone needs more help because some things are new but by this time of year we are crusining in for a landing on about May 17th (but no one is counting, right?).

You can start by working together and assigning take within subjects then work toward what your oldest could do well without direct oversight. It won't be much at this point, but it will grow over time. I totally after with Christine that you don't need to charge something that's working but you will need to shorten it. Maybe just take it down to scripture, a prayer, review the day ahead, and break. Then as you get into the cores, add a thing or two but in small bites. If you can read aloud to them while they eat, that's great. I've never been about to pull this off because breakfast and lunch is on your own at my house and we all eat at different times. Our biggest listening time to good books is in the van together.

Just take heart that this is a moving target. Find what is life-giving for next year, then change it when needed, then repeat.
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

10th year HSing · 8th year MP
                            @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                            10th, 8th, 5th, 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Our mornings are not scheduled all that well.. my kids wake up whenever (they're naturally early risers), I help my 5 and 3 year olds with breakfast, my older kids make their own. We all get dressed, brush teeth, make beds, then they get to play while I tidy up. I pull out independent work for my older kids and get what I need for lessons with my 5 year old. And then.....

I play two songs off my phone into a Bluetooth speaker. I play them loud enough fo the kids to hear wherever they are (we're all on one floor). By the end of the 2nd song (they're the same songs everyday), the older kids need to be working through their lists, and the 5 yo should be at the table ready to work (and me too!).

This is a really long way to answer your question... I get my older kids started on independent work by playing a song to announce school time.
                              ~ Carrie
                              Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
                              7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
                              2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

Working...
                              X