OT: Light book recommendation for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Light book recommendation for me

Somehow I have missed that I have 2 credits in my Audible account. I have everything we need for school books so I was thinking of trying to find a really enjoyable book just for me! I have about 3-4 hours during the week where I am just sitting and waiting on my kids to finish with their extra curricular activities so this helps to pass the time. We are just coming off of some very heavy literature for school (King Arthur, etc.) and I sense we are about to delve into more heavy literature (Trojan War, etc.) and I have been working through some other C.S. Lewis and Chesterton books on the side. Needless to say I need a mental reading break from all things school. I would love to read something light and possibly even comical, and (don't hate me) not from the Middle Ages. What a colorful age. I have been searching out possible books but hate to spend my credit on something that may not be that great. Ideas?
    Callista

This isn't comedy but it's one of the best stories I've ever read: Watership Down (read by Ralph Cosham). Wow! To me it has the same epic feeling as LOTR, a story I could hear again and again and get different lessons from. I've listened to it twice this winter.

Another book I loved from this winter was The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. Set during the French Revolution but from the English perspective. Also read by Cosham, whom I will listen to even if he's reading the phone book.

One last one which I adore is Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by Forester. It's about a 17 year old and his adventures as a sailor. My reader is Rodska and he's very good.

I get all my books through Libby, an online audio book app through my library. Photos attached. Happy listening!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190405-114731_Libby.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	111151Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190405-114815_Libby.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	111152Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190405-114742_Libby.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	111153
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

The Right Side of History by Ben Shapiro. It's actually a great time of history from the Greeks through the Enlightenment through a Judeo Christian perspective. It's very well written.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NP...4491759&sr=8-1
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
      5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
      MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

My adult children love A Short History of Nearly Everything- comical history
        a fun fiction book is The Gurnsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society. I read it but my daughter listened to it and said it is great as an audio because it is written as a series of letters and the audio has a different voice for each character who writes a letter.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 21, Physics and math major
        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

I've never used audible, but one of my very favorite fun reads is My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell..

Comment

I have no new selections to offer...but can’t resist throwing out there that...

....Scarlet Pimpernel is awesome...and part of a series!! So there is more to enjoy there, but none of them are as good as the first.

...Hornblower books are great - but be aware that as the books progress, he ages, so he gets into some manly situations, which surprised me. First three books are fine, if I recall.

....Guernsey book just became a part of our collection because we saw the Netlix movie of it - which is so beautifully done. After watching it I was stunned that it was so good. I didn’t think good movies like that were made anymore. Even good enough for the 11 and up crowd. So, so good. And from a report from someone who has already completed the book and seen the movie - the review is that the movie is even better than the book.

But that becomes totally off-topic for what you were asking. So I will shove off and go find GLPPPS to watch for the fifth or sixth time...

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Hey, y’all! (You know you can’t talk about books without an appearance from me.)
              i like good nonfiction for light listening.
              Asleep by Molly Caldwell Crosby
              The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat by Oliver Sacks
              Mans Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl
              The Power of Vulnerability by Brené Brown
              The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens London by Judith Flanders
              The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel

“If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
              Wonder Boy 14 ...MP4 + R&S 5 Math
              Joy Bubble 12 ...MP4
              Cowboy 9 ...MP4 + R&S Math 3
              Sassafras 5 ...MPK

Comment

It looks like I need more audible credits! I have these in my cart to decide between:

The Scarlet Pimpernel -- I love that this is a series!
                The Gurnsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society -- I may have to watch the movie too. It is rare to hear that a movie is better than a book!
                My Family and Other Animals -- This looks to be lighthearted and humorous and one just to enjoy.
                The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat -- Wow, the description of this makes me very curious to read it.

I think my wish list may be growing with the others but at least I will be entertained while my kids are in their activities. Each of these looks to be between 8-10 hours long so that will get me through the next few weeks. Thank you!!
                Callista

Comment

This is a totally different genre, and I don't know if it will appeal to you, but I just finished listening to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carre. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. I would never have chosen it myself, but I was following along with the Close Reads podcasts, and it was the last book they read. It is about 7 hours on Audible, and if you are into podcasts and add those in along the way it's another 4-5 hours of listening.

Another thing I like to use my credits for on Audible are The Great Courses. They're a great value, because most are about 30 hours of listening, but are broken down into 1 hour lectures. I especially loved the Great Courses on Greek Mythology, all of the stories were so entertaining to listen to, and I loved the lecturer. You can also return anything you don't love, I have returned a couple of Great Courses because after 1 lecture I realize I can not stand the voice / tone of the lecturer.
                  ~Michelle

DD 13 (MP 8 - 4FL and Ref/Con through MPOA)
                  DS 11 (MP 6 w/MPOA)
                  DS 5 - MP K (My first Kindergartner with MP!!!)
                  DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

P. G. Wodehouse!!! Narrator Jonathan Cecil
                    Melanie
                    2021-2022: 13th year homeschooling. 8th MP year.

A, 12th grade: online classes with MPOA and TPS
                    E, 10th grade: 10th grade core; math with MPOA, biology at co-op
                    B, 7th grade: 7th grade core; math and comp with MPOA

Comment

Yes! Wodehouse only works with Cecil as the narrator. Don't attempt another narrator or you will be totally disappointed.

Comment

Or....go even a bit lighter and, I'll say it shamelessly, younger. I really enjoyed listening to Cressida Cowell's books on Audible because they were narrated by David Tenant. I swear, I've become a better read aloud Mama because I took notes from this guy and how he made characters real and how to make my voice sound hysterically male, or British, or thuggish, or some variation of R. Lee Ermey (hubby particularly enjoyed that and popped his head into the room as if I'd had a seizure) . She wrote the "How to Train Your Dragon" series which is about as much like the movies as sugar is to salt. I shamelessly bought every one of those books and listened to them even though my kids had little to no interest. The subject matter deepened with each book and you realize its more a story for adults remembering childhood, maybe more so than for children trying to become adults.
                        Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
                        DS (MP3A) - 8
                        DS (1) - 7
                        DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

I'm not the best to ask b/c I use my credits to buy my kids books on Audible (a la Diana Kennedy style) but I have enjoyed getting Susan Wise Bauer's high school history books on there as well. I think we could all use some more Audible credit. I wish they still had Classics Freebies.
                          Margaret of GA, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife & Mama

Trekking along at a student self-pace...
                          DD Summer 2009 · 7th
                          DD Summer 2011 · SC
                          DS Summer 2014 · 2nd
                          DD Summer 2017 · Preschool/SC
                          DS Autumn 2019 • Tot-preschool
                          MP, Seton, Sonlight, Beau. Feet, Notgrass, IEW, Saxon

Memoria Scholé Academy 2011-2022
                          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
                          @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Working...
                          X