X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by Recreationalscholar View Post

What a great idea! I prefer reading from a book, but my Kindle goes everywhere with me.
    RS- your signature! Love it!

Leave a comment:

• Recreationalscholar
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post
    I've been thinking about this since it was posted. I have absolutely no more bookshelf space and own a number of the titles already. I also find my best times to read are early and late, which are low-light situations at our house. I tend to end up with either an audiobook or a glowing screen. Because of this I received a kindle paperwhite for my birthday. The kindle has the experimental browser on it, and I found it easy to add titles from Gutenberg. I also found this list/ group: http://www.greatconversation.com/10-year-reading-plan

I did read The Great Conversation when this topic first came around. I really like this list better than the Harvard Classics.

I'm not sure how active the Yahoo group is (I don't plan to participate), but I added the first five selections to my kindle to read or reread this summer.
    What a great idea! I prefer reading from a book, but my Kindle goes everywhere with me.

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    I've been thinking about this since it was posted. I have absolutely no more bookshelf space and own a number of the titles already. I also find my best times to read are early and late, which are low-light situations at our house. I tend to end up with either an audiobook or a glowing screen. Because of this I received a kindle paperwhite for my birthday. The kindle has the experimental browser on it, and I found it easy to add titles from Gutenberg. I also found this list/ group: http://www.greatconversation.com/10-year-reading-plan

I did read The Great Conversation when this topic first came around. I really like this list better than the Harvard Classics.

I'm not sure how active the Yahoo group is (I don't plan to participate), but I added the first five selections to my kindle to read or reread this summer.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by mamathompson View Post
    I was inspired by this thread and found a set for $70. It was I'm the town my sister lives in, so she will bring it next time we get together. I'm excited to dig into it.
    What a great deal!

Leave a comment:

• mamathompson
    replied
    I was inspired by this thread and found a set for $70. It was I'm the town my sister lives in, so she will bring it next time we get together. I'm excited to dig into it.

Leave a comment:

• 2Muchfun
    replied
    For sure!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by 2Muchfun View Post
    I have the set! Maybe I should pick Volume 1 back up? I was almost finished with it. ????♥️
    I think volume 1 will either grab and motivate you to start or not. And it's fine if you are in a season of "one day/not now." If you get stirred to start, just start. There is no pace-police. Baby steps, right?

Leave a comment:

• 2Muchfun
    replied
    I have the set! Maybe I should pick Volume 1 back up? I was almost finished with it. ????♥️

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Awesome, Emily! And great idea on try-before-buy, Dorinda. That's exactly what I did with my used book store mismatched set. Reading the address to the reader in volume 1 is very inspiring. It's only about 80 pages.
    Sarah, I love Hilldsale's courses and have watched a few but never committed to going fully through class. Good for you!

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    Originally posted by Emilylovesbooks View Post
    Two years ago I read the beginning volume, The Great Conversation, and was convinced that I should begin the ten-year reading plan. I even wrote down the list for Year 1! Our library has the set, and they have been rarely used, so I have easy access to the whole set. I never did start. You have motivated me to take a stab at beginning again!
    I never thought to check the library website...what was I thinking??? I just checked and they have the entire set available for checkout...sort of a try it before you buy it :-). The set I liked on eBay didn’t take my offer, maybe I will be willing to raise it once I check it out in person. Thanks for the reminder to check the library.

Leave a comment:

• PrarieGirl
    replied
    I’m currently working my way through Hillsdale’s free online courses for my adult education. Now I’m going to have to look into this reading plan. I really wish there were more hours in the day! I want to do it all....but I can’t because I have all these little people who expect to be fed and educated

Leave a comment:

• Emilylovesbooks
    replied
    Two years ago I read the beginning volume, The Great Conversation, and was convinced that I should begin the ten-year reading plan. I even wrote down the list for Year 1! Our library has the set, and they have been rarely used, so I have easy access to the whole set. I never did start. You have motivated me to take a stab at beginning again!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by VAmom View Post
    My grandparents had these when I was growing up. I remember looking through them as a kid. I just emailed my mom to see if they still have the set. Here’s to hoping...
    Wouldn't that be the best?! They were very costly back then. That says a lot about your grandparents that they would value them enough to own a set. Please keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied
    My grandparents had these when I was growing up. I remember looking through them as a kid. I just emailed my mom to see if they still have the set. Here’s to hoping...

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by melaneesa View Post
    Sounds great - but aren't the books unwieldy? I try to always have a Great Book "going", but carrying around an encyclopedia seems impractical.

They aren't that big--9.5" x 6.5" and vary on thickness. They aren't books I'm taking around with me. This is at-home reading, usually at bedtime or sanity-break-time in the afternoon.

editing to add more questions...

Is this your only reading now? I'm not sure what you meant by the reading list treadmill part. Do you mean you've ditched all other reading lists to do this?

This is what I'm reading as far as physical books are concerned. I'm still listening to audio books (mostly fiction or Lewis/Chesterton type things) personally and we listen to books in the car as a family. The reading list treadmill is where you already have 10 unread books on your nightstand and you order 3 more because you just heard an amazing podcast and they say, "Everyone should definitely read X, Y, and Z" so you go buy them. For me, this is books mostly about academic topics--education, philosophy, literature, etc. I need to stop buying new books and read the old books.

How much time does it take per day or week?

I'm trying to read at least an hour a day, sometimes it's more and sometimes less. Some days it's none because I don't have enough quiet. We are selling our house right now so there are showings and such to work around. Some sessions I make a lot of progress and other times I sit down and can't get past a particular paragraph. That's OK. I'm working on the first year, but I'm not trying to do it in any particular time frame. I'm just starting and going on from there.

I'm all for narrowing down the reading list to the best, but I'm still trying to learn Latin --- and Greek is tempting me -- and I committed to a big Bible reading plan this year -- and there's so much modern history I don't know -- and I only have so much study time. So I'm curious if this takes all your personal study time.

Here's what I want: I want these books behind me (inside me) for a big part of my life so I need to dive in and get going. Latin will take a lot of my time next year because I'm moving up to teaching Second Form. For now, I'm not feeling like I'm missing out on the other reading I was doing. So much of what I'm reading applies to daily life, to teaching, to leading people...I've been shocked at the level of relevance.

There's a 1954 set listed on CL near me for $80 (OBO). I do love the idea!
    That's a great price!! Even if you decide you don't want to read through using their plan, they are still great to own. There are multiple ways to approach the books listed in volume 1. The 10 year plan is just pre-ordered and dosed for you. I will not have read them all in 10 years, just parts of all of them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X