Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT/Cross-post: Adult Ed, Brittanica's Great Books of the Western World

I'm getting crickets on the 9-12 board so I'm crossposting here:

Did some of you at one time talk about the 10 year reading plan through this Great Books set? I thought I remembered someone asking long ago. If yes, please PM me. I'm trying to figure out who it was and my keyword searches have come up dry.

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by Recreationalscholar View Post

What a great idea! I prefer reading from a book, but my Kindle goes everywhere with me.
    RS- your signature! Love it!

Leave a comment:

• Recreationalscholar
    replied
    Originally posted by bean View Post
    I've been thinking about this since it was posted. I have absolutely no more bookshelf space and own a number of the titles already. I also find my best times to read are early and late, which are low-light situations at our house. I tend to end up with either an audiobook or a glowing screen. Because of this I received a kindle paperwhite for my birthday. The kindle has the experimental browser on it, and I found it easy to add titles from Gutenberg. I also found this list/ group: http://www.greatconversation.com/10-year-reading-plan

I did read The Great Conversation when this topic first came around. I really like this list better than the Harvard Classics.

I'm not sure how active the Yahoo group is (I don't plan to participate), but I added the first five selections to my kindle to read or reread this summer.
    What a great idea! I prefer reading from a book, but my Kindle goes everywhere with me.

Leave a comment:

• bean
    replied
    I've been thinking about this since it was posted. I have absolutely no more bookshelf space and own a number of the titles already. I also find my best times to read are early and late, which are low-light situations at our house. I tend to end up with either an audiobook or a glowing screen. Because of this I received a kindle paperwhite for my birthday. The kindle has the experimental browser on it, and I found it easy to add titles from Gutenberg. I also found this list/ group: http://www.greatconversation.com/10-year-reading-plan

I did read The Great Conversation when this topic first came around. I really like this list better than the Harvard Classics.

I'm not sure how active the Yahoo group is (I don't plan to participate), but I added the first five selections to my kindle to read or reread this summer.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by mamathompson View Post
    I was inspired by this thread and found a set for $70. It was I'm the town my sister lives in, so she will bring it next time we get together. I'm excited to dig into it.
    What a great deal!

Leave a comment:

• mamathompson
    replied
    I was inspired by this thread and found a set for $70. It was I'm the town my sister lives in, so she will bring it next time we get together. I'm excited to dig into it.

Leave a comment:

• 2Muchfun
    replied
    For sure!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by 2Muchfun View Post
    I have the set! Maybe I should pick Volume 1 back up? I was almost finished with it. 🤔♥️
    I think volume 1 will either grab and motivate you to start or not. And it's fine if you are in a season of "one day/not now." If you get stirred to start, just start. There is no pace-police. Baby steps, right?

Leave a comment:

• 2Muchfun
    replied
    I have the set! Maybe I should pick Volume 1 back up? I was almost finished with it. 🤔♥️

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Awesome, Emily! And great idea on try-before-buy, Dorinda. That's exactly what I did with my used book store mismatched set. Reading the address to the reader in volume 1 is very inspiring. It's only about 80 pages.
    Sarah, I love Hilldsale's courses and have watched a few but never committed to going fully through class. Good for you!

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    Originally posted by Emilylovesbooks View Post
    Two years ago I read the beginning volume, The Great Conversation, and was convinced that I should begin the ten-year reading plan. I even wrote down the list for Year 1! Our library has the set, and they have been rarely used, so I have easy access to the whole set. I never did start. You have motivated me to take a stab at beginning again!
    I never thought to check the library website...what was I thinking??? I just checked and they have the entire set available for checkout...sort of a try it before you buy it :-). The set I liked on eBay didn’t take my offer, maybe I will be willing to raise it once I check it out in person. Thanks for the reminder to check the library.

Leave a comment:

• PrarieGirl
    replied
    I’m currently working my way through Hillsdale’s free online courses for my adult education. Now I’m going to have to look into this reading plan. I really wish there were more hours in the day! I want to do it all....but I can’t because I have all these little people who expect to be fed and educated

Leave a comment:

• Emilylovesbooks
    replied
    Two years ago I read the beginning volume, The Great Conversation, and was convinced that I should begin the ten-year reading plan. I even wrote down the list for Year 1! Our library has the set, and they have been rarely used, so I have easy access to the whole set. I never did start. You have motivated me to take a stab at beginning again!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Originally posted by VAmom View Post
    My grandparents had these when I was growing up. I remember looking through them as a kid. I just emailed my mom to see if they still have the set. Here’s to hoping...
    Wouldn't that be the best?! They were very costly back then. That says a lot about your grandparents that they would value them enough to own a set. Please keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied
    My grandparents had these when I was growing up. I remember looking through them as a kid. I just emailed my mom to see if they still have the set. Here’s to hoping...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X