Insects and Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insects and Birds

Would it be possible to combine Insects and Birds into one year? I know Birds is made to go along with History of Medicine, but we never did Insects and would like to. I know Insects is supposed to be a full year, but was wondering if it could be shortened some?

If I were going to do that, I would probably do Birds in the fall during that migratory season (it is short--like 1/3 of the school year I think), then start Insects and keep going into the summer so that the kids could use the knowledge they have and are continuing to accumulate to find cool specimens during their outdoor explorations over the summer. Whether you can shorten insects probably depends on how much of the information you will require them to master--there are a lot of confusing details that would be difficult for kids to learn on an accelerated basis.
    Michaela
    Daughter: Age 11 MP 6A (MPOA for TFL, 6th grade math, and composition)
    Son: Age 6 1st Grade MP Traditional Spelling, Literature, Math, and Handwriting
    for 2019/2020 school year

Comment

Thank you Classical Family for your input! I am homeschooling one child and memorization comes easy to her, but I don't want to just cram information and not really learn of course. If I did Birds and History of Medicine would you still suggest studying Birds in the fall or wait till the Spring (not sure what the MP curriculum guide recommends because I haven't seen it yet). Thanks.

Comment

Birds is done first in sequence. You can see this in the sample of the curriculum guides for either 5A or 6M.

We're in VA and birds dwell here nearly year-round. I suppose farther north you might have to worry about some migrating, but once you're equipped, it's fun to recognize them as they return in the spring. FWIW, we always start a core the last 2 weeks of August. It seems to line up perfectly with everything MP schedules seasonally/holiday-wise.
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
        SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Birds is scheduled first then Medicine, but the guide suggests that you can change it up if you want to work with your local birding seasons. We just did Birds first as scheduled, as, to maximize birding season here, we would have needed to split it up 3 ways which is a bit too cumbersome. Here in TN, we only have hawks, cardinals, and robins in the winter (at least in our suburban location), but we have lots of lakes in the area, so it is more interesting in the very fall and very early spring because you will see the migratory species gathered by the lakes. We were by the lake all weekend, and the Canada Geese were hilarious to watch as the males tried to intimidate one another.
          Michaela
          Daughter: Age 11 MP 6A (MPOA for TFL, 6th grade math, and composition)
          Son: Age 6 1st Grade MP Traditional Spelling, Literature, Math, and Handwriting
          for 2019/2020 school year

Comment

Working...
          X