Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Story Bible - Beware of more than one edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Story Bible - Beware of more than one edition!

You know those moments where you feel like you are missing something very obvious? One reason that I didn't start the Christian Enrichment studies was that the page numbers and chapter titles didn't line up at all in the guides. The problem is the edition of the Story Bible I'm using. Apparently, I have an edition that, although it has the same cover and the same artwork, it is missing over 40 stories. I don't have a "mis-print". This edition has page numbers and stories that align with its own table of contents, but you will skip lots of stories. I don't know why. It's by the same publisher. The way to know you have the right one is the ISBN number on the back of the book. You want the one with the ISBN ending in 1902-0. Mine ends in 1903-7. I bought mine used. It took me 6 months to just call and find out what the problem is. Feeling kind of dumb.
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Oh Melissa, no fault there - how could you know? That’s how I felt when my second child was doing Wind in the Willows. We had this beautifully illustrated hardback version that I would read aloud to them. And I have a huge pet-peeve against anything abridged! So here I am thinking we’ve got it covered for the novel for school. Wrong-o. Turns out my beautiful version that I treasured so much was indeed an abridged version. And I did not catch on to this until the second child!

My oldest and I did the guide orally together as one of the first things we used from MP - so granted, I was new, and just thought I was confused...but once I realized my mistake, yes, felt very dumb indeed! And so sorry for my oldest!

This is why one of my most frequent emojis is the palm-smack to the face!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    2020-2021
    16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
    DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
    DS, 17
    DD, 15
    DD, 13
    DD, 11
    DD, 9
    DD, 7
    +DS+
    DS, 2

Comment

I think I just bought a beautiful "abridged" Mary Poppins last weekend too. Sheesh.
      Last edited by MBentley; 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM.
      Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
      DS (MP3A) - 8
      DS (1) - 7

Comment

Grgh! You’re on a roll!

Sounds like you are quickly going to become the queen of ISBN’s! Ha!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2020-2021
        DS, 17
        DD, 15
        DD, 13
        DD, 11
        DD, 9
        DD, 7
        +DS+
        DS, 2

Comment

I find it interesting that the blue fairy book from Memoria Press is abridged. The actual stories are the same, but not all the stories are there. It is a beautiful hardcover Barnes and noble edition, but the other student in my co-op has a paperback version his mom bought elsewhere that has half again as many fairy tales. I was rather surprised as it isn’t overly clear that it only a partial version.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Awesome. It's not abridged. And it is oh so pretty.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8321.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	110592
            Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
            DS (MP3A) - 8
            DS (1) - 7

Comment

I never thought of that it that way, Dorinda. We have had a large number of Lang’s “colored” fairy books for years and years, so I knew the originals, but I just thought, “oh, how pretty” when it came to the one for school use! And since the words of the story were the same...Geesh.

Although, in thinking about it, I can kind of understand why they may have done that in choosing to reprint the book - many of Lang’s originals would probably surprise many modern folks’ sensibilities. (I.e. when bad folks do bad things, really bad things happen to them - which can seem overly harsh or graphic, plus some outdated vocabulary)

AMDG,
              Sarah

ETA: oh, that is pretty! Happy, happy day!
              2020-2021
              DS, 17
              DD, 15
              DD, 13
              DD, 11
              DD, 9
              DD, 7
              +DS+
              DS, 2

Comment

The Barnes & Noble Blue Fairy Book does say "Selections" on the title page, but I never saw that. I thought their version was the entire book. I don't know why B&N didn't print them all, but I suspect Sarah is correct that there may be some that are just not appropriate. We are going to print a version of The Blue Fairy Book that goes along with our study guide, and it will only have the 10 stories we actually study. So I guess we are abridging the abridged. But the stories (in the B&N version and in our version) are complete in themselves. So it's not like reading an abridged story. It is just a selection of stories from an entire compilation. (I probably didn't need to say all this. Wordy today.)

Tanya

Comment

That’s my take on it, Enigma!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  2020-2021
                  DS, 17
                  DD, 15
                  DD, 13
                  DD, 11
                  DD, 9
                  DD, 7
                  +DS+
                  DS, 2

Comment

Yes, the Story Bible I first got was paperback and didn't have all we needed. It was a bitter pill to swallow. Thriftbooks, btw, is king of bait and switch in that they'll list the cover you're looking for, offer a link to "5 copies from $3.99," and you have to really make sure you cross check the ISBN to what you want. I usually throw the ISBN from the details into an abe books search engine to see what the cover is and any relevant issue details. Also, if you can't get your books from MP, RR is good at selling new versions for a reduced fee. I wish MP would offer a tiny buy-them-all discount on the read-alouds ..esp if you buy it with the core.
                    Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
                    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                      Yes, the Story Bible I first got was paperback and didn't have all we needed. It was a bitter pill to swallow. Thriftbooks, btw, is king of bait and switch in that they'll list the cover you're looking for, offer a link to "5 copies from $3.99," and you have to really make sure you cross check the ISBN to what you want. I usually throw the ISBN from the details into an abe books search engine to see what the cover is and any relevant issue details. Also, if you can't get your books from MP, RR is good at selling new versions for a reduced fee. I wish MP would offer a tiny buy-them-all discount on the read-alouds ..esp if you buy it with the core.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8322.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	110631

You aren't kidding. One of these is definitely not like the other. I'm guessing you mean AbeBooks.com? I have never seen that one before. Thanks for that. From now on, I'm definitely searching by ISBN if we have it. Yeah that is the only real thing about this program is the enrichment sticker shock. I don't see a way around it though other than to find used books. Having this many kids means curriculum costs can go up quickly - Especially if you are transitioning into the program from something else. I get that all these books transition easily between grades because they only get a little bit of use. But if you are setting up for the first time, that's an expensive year. I'm facing the reality of separate enrichments next year because I can really see how each year's enrichment is a truly perfect addition to the curriculum.
                      Attached Files
                      Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
                      DS (MP3A) - 8
                      DS (1) - 7

Comment

I like abebooks as well. It has been a helpful site for finding teacher editions of things like math textbooks.

remember that the enrichment guides are set up many times by season, but you can just pick a year in the k-2 sequence if you have more than one student and do it with everyone... it all still works out nicely. A great many of the books are available from the library if you are trying to save money starting out while you build your collection. Science enrichment can easily be substituted for an available library option on the same topic.
                        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
                        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
                        DD College Freshman
                        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
                        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
                        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma
                          We are slated to read Blue Fairy later this year/summer, but I did not buy the book yet. So when will this lovely MP version be coming out?
                          We are hoping to release it this summer.

Comment

Working...
                          X