Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Monica,
    I also wanted to offer the reminder that what you are doing in trying to address it is fantastic, and hopefully the ideas you have been given will make a tough situation better. But I will also add, it’s probably not going to go away completely. Truth is, if it wasn’t this, it would probably be something else causing the friction, you know? Kids, and siblings especially, tend to compete with each other. And siblings especially are highly attuned to what seems fair, equal, etc. I am constantly having to reinforce that we are not shooting for fairness here, we are seeking justice - that is, giving to each person what he or she really needs. I don’t help everyone the same way because everyone does not need the same level of help. Applies to what each one is doing, too. It sounds like you already have to have these sorts of conversations with your boys, but I didn’t want you to stress if you had to continue. That’s just the ongoing work of teaching your sons how to have good character. Life lessons, and all that.

Hang in there, and keep at it!

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Yes, Sarah, thank you - this is so true, there will always be that friction, and this is good because it's part of the refiner's fire. But I also know that I am perpetually in search of the logistical "magic bullet" that will make me feel organized and in control of things. However, the magic bullet eludes me, yet the Nerf bullets . . . . . . the Nerf bullets are everywhere!
    Monica
    S - 14
    S - 12

Comment

We are wanderers in search of our true homeland, and therefore will always be unsettled. And so will our children! Hang in there - and duck!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2020-2021
      16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
      DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
      DS, 17
      DD, 15
      DD, 13
      DD, 11
      DD, 9
      DD, 7
      +DS+
      DS, 2

Comment

Hi again - I have another logistical question. We're getting ready to start 5M in a week or two and I am experiencing some nervous energy about the newness. Folks advised in this thread (and other threads on the Forum) to introduce the new curriculum to each son separately. So - I confess, it's really just a bit of hand-holding I'm looking for - I just start with the more independent worker (my younger son) and work with him for a week and then introduce it to my older son the next week? I was thinking that in that first week of getting my younger son sorted out, I could work with my older son on math and CC Fable and spelling (which aren't tied to the core for him). Also, Latin is something I want to keep together, at least for the teaching day of the week (we'll be using the video) because I am learning along with them. Cheryl Lowe in the FFL introduction advises this sort of set up - an adult and a couple of children makes a Latin class. As always - any thought greatly appreciated!
        Monica
        Monica
        S - 14
        S - 12

Comment

We did a staggered start with my eldest going first. It gave my youngest a good model of what behavior was appropriate or inappropriate (working hard, asking questions when confused vs. interrupting with nonsense or dawdling). After 2 weeks I added in the curriculum of the younger child. That first transition month was humbling and exhausting for me. It only gets better with time, and it helps to have a repeating dinner menu on standby.

It sounds like you're excited to do a good job and have pre-first day jitters like all teachers. I like to level with my kids that learning is a lifelong pursuit; it never stops once you graduate. Tell them you will be learning some things alongside them, and that you won't have all the answers right away. A humble teacher is a joy to have.
          Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
          5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
          MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
          SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
            We did a staggered start with my eldest going first. It gave my youngest a good model of what behavior was appropriate or inappropriate (working hard, asking questions when confused vs. interrupting with nonsense or dawdling). After 2 weeks I added in the curriculum of the younger child. That first transition month was humbling and exhausting for me. It only gets better with time, and it helps to have a repeating dinner menu on standby.

It sounds like you're excited to do a good job and have pre-first day jitters like all teachers. I like to level with my kids that learning is a lifelong pursuit; it never stops once you graduate. Tell them you will be learning some things alongside them, and that you won't have all the answers right away. A humble teacher is a joy to have.
            Thanks for the encouragement enbateau!
            I will prepare to let myself be humbled - and I agree about the repeating dinner menu - it has been a great help for me!
            Monica
            S - 14
            S - 12

Comment

Working...
            X