Spelling for Grade 2 & 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling for Grade 2 & 3

I know this MP 3 program is writing intensive starting in 3rd, but before I came to this program, I started Spelling you See with my current 1st and 2nd grader. I have fully planned to go full MP Core next year, but this is one that I'm wondering about. This program requires them to write out a passage daily. One thing I like is how a lot of the MP program integrates together. However, the spelling program (Spelling workout I think), isn't one designed by Memoria Press so I am thinking that there isn't a great deal of direct integration between Spelling and other subjects like the Grammar and Literature. Would this be a case of "Don't break what isn't broken" and just keep using what my kids are doing well with? Or is this (Spelling Workout) truly a stellar spelling program that I would be pretty dumb to pass up? Most of the Spelling You See program is autonomous, with the exception of every 5th lesson which uses dictation of the passage, and the kid writes it out several times that week. I like the subjects too (Animals, Nursery Rhymes, Inventors, American History figures) and the fact that all of the words have direct context into the subject passage.

Also, my very controlling but adorable 1st grader is going to literally have a come apart if he doesn't get to write about the animals his brother got to write about this year.

I know it's dumb to post this to a forum, but if the Spelling program used for 3rd is really something awesome, then that little tantrum will just have to happen because I want to use the best material. Any thoughts?
    Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
    DS (MP1) - 7
    DS (K) - 5
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
    I know this MP 3 program is writing intensive starting in 3rd, but before I came to this program, I started Spelling you See with my current 1st and 2nd grader. I have fully planned to go full MP Core next year, but this is one that I'm wondering about. This program requires them to write out a passage daily. One thing I like is how a lot of the MP program integrates together. However, the spelling program (Spelling workout I think), isn't one designed by Memoria Press so I am thinking that there isn't a great deal of direct integration between Spelling and other subjects like the Grammar and Literature. Would this be a case of "Don't break what isn't broken" and just keep using what my kids are doing well with? Or is this (Spelling Workout) truly a stellar spelling program that I would be pretty dumb to pass up? Most of the Spelling You See program is autonomous, with the exception of every 5th lesson which uses dictation of the passage, and the kid writes it out several times that week. I like the subjects too (Animals, Nursery Rhymes, Inventors, American History figures) and the fact that all of the words have direct context into the subject passage.

Also, my very controlling but adorable 1st grader is going to literally have a come apart if he doesn't get to write about the animals his brother got to write about this year.

I know it's dumb to post this to a forum, but if the Spelling program used for 3rd is really something awesome, then that little tantrum will just have to happen because I want to use the best material. Any thoughts?
    Good afternoon Melissa,

We are very happy with Spelling Workout and it's phonetic approach to spelling. Of course, we feel it could still be improved, hence our new Traditional Spelling Series. The latter integrates very well with the rest of the curriculum, but Spelling Workout is certainly more of a stand-alone component. I'd say if you and your kids love your current spelling program and it's working for you all, stick with it!

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

The spelling program is not necessarily integrated, but it does help create a workload balance. As you mentioned in literature they are practicing a lot of writing! It just might be too much. However, I am definitely a fan of “if it is not broke, do not fix it and if it a favorite, maybe you keep it? That being said, if you are feeling taxed, it might be the first to “go”. Or, maybe in the summer the kids do spelling you see?
      Christine

(2018-2019)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
      DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Echoing that if it’s working well, don’t change it. Our experience with SWO has been less than stellar. Let’s just say I am really looking forward to TS 3+. Yet, for many kids who are “natural spellers”, it is fine. It gets the box checked off for those kids. (No offense or slight intended to HLS or MP at all.) I feel from comparing SYS to TS, that they are similar. Keep on keepin on with what works. Save your battles.
        Last edited by Enigma; 03-13-2019, 01:37 PM.
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
          Save your battles.
          Roger that. I guess that will be the one I keep unless it proves to be too much. I think it's a favorite because they get to write about something "interesting" like bats, sloths, whales, and elephants. It's basically just a bigger copybook, making them practice the same passage several times, and it does have a phonetic component requiring them to dissect many of the words. Now, when it changes next year to learning about people, I wonder if the same enthusiasm will continue.
          Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
          DS (MP1) - 7
          DS (K) - 5

Comment

We love Traditional Spelling!!, but do not use Spelling Workout in my home. SWO is not successful with my students. Once we get to 3rd/4th I'm starting to look for other options. We have enjoyed Phonetic Zoo and it seems to pair well. I also have several other options on my shelf that have their pros and cons, but SWO didn't stay as a keeper here.

My prayer is that Traditional Spelling or even Simply Classical Spelling will be expanded!!
            Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 8th Homeschooling
            Trekking along at a student self-pace...
            DD · 3M/4M -- DD · SC 3 -- DS · JrK -- DD · Pre

Memoria Scholé Academy
            [url]www.CreativeMadnessMama.com[/url]

Comment

The good news is that I've taught almost a full year of TS, so I can see how easy it would be to pull out some phonics flashcards at the head of the week, have the child write the words with vowels in red with markings, consonants & teams in blue, syllabicating as needed. Also, we do a lot of games (Spelling Baseball, verbal drilling, Wikki Stix words and spelling family word pictures). My hope is that I can add these in next year and keep the timing to the narrow 20 minutes/day it needs to be to provide balance to the rest of the curriculum. I have 3 years worth of 2nd-4th grade Logic of English Essentials that I really still want to use, but it's just laid out so differently from MP that it takes too long to do the lesson and learn the words. I like that SWO isn't too dissimilar to TS. I think the goal is to get LOTS of words into the spelling brain bank of the 3rd grader, and SWO does that.

I know they keep saying it's far off, but I'd love to try a BETA version of TS3 in exchange for some quiet feedback. Hint, hint.

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                I know they keep saying it's far off, but I'd love to try a BETA version of TS3 in exchange for some quiet feedback. Hint, hint.
                Ditto. My girls and I didn't enjoy our last 2 years of spelling workout, but I put them together into Traditional Spelling 2 this year (January start date) and they are both loving it! I just asked my 8 year old what she likes the most about it and she said, "I like how every week is the same. I always know what I have to do each day. AND the book is so nice and clean and simple and easy to write in!"
                If TS 3 isn't available by early 2020, I will seriously consider subbing in new word lists and re-using the TS 2 format, or at least the daily lesson plans. I can't imagine going back to SWO.

Comment

Well....maybe Spelling you See wouldn't be a bad thing to look at. Here is a practice day and a test day. I'm really only needed 1 day a week for this entire subject. I dictate the passage and they write it out on the last day. This is my 2nd grader's work.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8298.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	110467Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8299.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	110468
                  Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                  DS (MP1) - 7
                  DS (K) - 5

Comment

Sorry to highjack: So... am I understanding correctly that MP is developing higher levels of Traditional Spelling?
                    Blessings,
                    ~Sarah Marie

~DS, nearly 9: MP3M Full Core with Astronomy & Intro to Comp.
                    ~DS, 7: Mash-up of MPK, MP1, and non-MP
                    ~DD, 4: Some MP Preschool & Jr. K readalouds, enrichment with brothers.

Comment

The goal has been to continue adding levels but it is a slow process from development to beta test to final product.

Comment

Well, that's exciting! Looking forward to it!
                        Blessings,
                        ~Sarah Marie

~DS, nearly 9: MP3M Full Core with Astronomy & Intro to Comp.
                        ~DS, 7: Mash-up of MPK, MP1, and non-MP
                        ~DD, 4: Some MP Preschool & Jr. K readalouds, enrichment with brothers.

Comment

So is there any chance that Traditional Spelling 3 will be out by fall sometime? If so, I'll make the switch and do that one if it integrates with other parts of the curriculum.
                          Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                          DS (MP1) - 7
                          DS (K) - 5

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                            So is there any chance that Traditional Spelling 3 will be out by fall sometime? If so, I'll make the switch and do that one if it integrates with other parts of the curriculum.
                            Unfortunately, no. The program still needs to be written, and then used in the HLS classrooms for at least one or two academic years, before it would be ready to release.
                            Michael
                            Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                            X