Quizzes and Tests and All Those Things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quizzes and Tests and All Those Things

I am prepping for our new "year" and wondered just how important is it for the kids to take the quizzes and tests? We live in a hands-off state (TX) so I do not have to keep grades. We really haven't done many tests outside of spelling and math. What are your thoughts?

I also just spent the last hour making flashcards from all the vocabulary in Cricket. I'm thinking this will go over better than looking them up and writing the definitions out. Mine are well versed in dictionary usage. Is that kosher?

I've made Week 1's lesson plan in pencil. My goal is to finish 4NU by the end of 2019. I think we will have plenty of time.

I assume the flashcards for Greek Myths are all the drill questions found in the back of the student guide. Is this correct?

Do we do the Review Box (which is confusing to me) AND the recitation or just pick one? I will need to edit either one as we are not using a full core, almost, but not quite.

I also noticed in the Review Box cards, not all the vocabulary from the Lit is included. Was this a mistake or on purpose?

I admit to being nervous. I fear "doing it wrong" which is irrational, I know. And I know I will be fine once we start and work out the bugs. Call the MP exterminator team!

Anyone near me? I'm on the community page.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-19-2019, 09:14 PM.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

I like quizzes and tests if only to mirror the pressures of the outside academic environment. Life is full of high-pressure situations where recalling the right thing to do in a limited time determines whether people get hurt. Quizzes and tests are the low stakes version of this. With that said, in 2nd I grade tests (spelling & Latin), but I don't keep a cumulative grade. In 3A (almost the same as 4NU), I'll do the same and use all the tests, quizzes and finals. It helps me see where she is in comprehension and where we need to double back or hang out.
    Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
    DD 8-3A
    DS 5-SC C

Comment

Quizzes and tests in Latin are a good way to ensure you do actually drill and master and not just get the concept but keep looking words and forms up. We also tend to use the literature tests to ensure that we actually study the vocabulary and to practice test taking skills. We also do the geography tests since that is the main point of the geography. We do t usually test classical, Christian or science until they get junior high (Book of Ancients level), rather we just do the drill questions over and over. One nice thing about quizzes and tests is it gives a day or two to stop and review and ensures you kept up with the material from that unit and that you keep reviewing and remembering. It’s basically a way to “pressure” yourself to actually review and drill and remember.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 21, chemistry major
      DS, 18, Physics major
      DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
      DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
      DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Before middle school I do the quizzes/tests for Latin and geography and drill questions for classical and Christian. I know many do the famous men and Christian Studies, but for me it takes too much time to review enough for my kids to be successful. The cost/benefit isn’t there for me. For astronomy I used the tests, but made them either have a word bank or just a copying exercise. As I have said before, I really don’t think not memorizing the spelling of all the 15 brightest stars in 4th grade is going to set their education back too far.

pick recitation or review box - they roughly cover the same material. I made a review binder that year as it was more convenient than cards that year.

Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
        DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
        DS 10 - 5M
        DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

I'm enjoying the quizzes and tests as these seem to hold more weight with "impressing" the Enginerd and my daughter is taking pride in her grades or working to do better next time.

A - you did really well, good job!
          B - you did okay, but we need to keep studying
          C - you did not master this and we need to try again
          F - let's back up and see if we can do more to learn this
          Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · 8th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
          Trekking along at a student self-pace...
          DD Summer 2009 · 5th
          DD Summer 2011 · SC4
          DS Summer 2014 · JrK/K
          DD Summer 2017 · Pre
          DS …EDD 11/2019

Memoria Scholé Academy
          Blog: Creative Madness Mama
          CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

I give math and geography quizzes and tests, but no others unless my elementary child asks to take them. I give all the quizzes and tests to my 8th grader except for Greek history because we aren't following the plans for that.

For review, we do the recitations because I didn't want to take the time to make a review box.
            DS, 13, 8th grade
            DS, 10, 5th grade

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
              I am prepping for our new "year" and wondered just how important is it for the kids to take the quizzes and tests? We live in a hands-off state (TX) so I do not have to keep grades. We really haven't done many tests outside of spelling and math. What are your thoughts? Not important. I grade math and Latin daily to motivate my child. I actually do administer most of the other tests, but I use my pencil/pen/open book method I have outlined around one thousand times here on the forum. I don't keep grades or make a report card for my child (although I DID back when I had my big kids. It seemed important to me back then).

I also just spent the last hour making flashcards from all the vocabulary in Cricket. I'm thinking this will go over better than looking them up and writing the definitions out. Mine are well versed in dictionary usage. Is that kosher? Everyone chooses what they like to focus on. Since my child is an avid reader, we rarely "focus" on vocabulary. He copies the exact definition from a parent made Lit dictionary on comprehension days, then he reviews the vocab briefly before the quizzes. This is not an area we need to focus on since he often already knows many if not all of the words. If this IS an area you need to emphasize ('cause none of us can do it all!), then your plan sounds wonderful.

I've made Week 1's lesson plan in pencil. My goal is to finish 4NU by the end of 2019. I think we will have plenty of time. Sounds reasonable.

I assume the flashcards for Greek Myths are all the drill questions found in the back of the student guide. Is this correct? Not exactly. The 100 Drill Questions in the back of the TM were definitely written when the guides were written. They seem to reflect much more closely the same wording and definitions from the Facts to Know of each lesson. The stand alone flash cards were written more for single word identification. I found that I didn't like using them, and that the Drill Questions were more fruitful if the goal was to prep for the unit tests. Personally, I like the Drill Questions better since they are more aligned to the content and they are listed in the book. I personally dislike all the packs and packs of flashcards that clutter my school area.

Do we do the Review Box (which is confusing to me) AND the recitation or just pick one? I will need to edit either one as we are not using a full core, almost, but not quite. Pick one, but they are different. The Review Box is an optional help that some of the HLS teachers made, and Tanya et al included the prepped work in the back of the Core manuals for those grades (3M, 4M, 4NU). There aren't any other Review Box instructions in any other levels, which you might want to know. The Review box has a fuller content (basically the Drill Questions or test questions from the unit test) to help prep the students. The Recitation is a weekly list of 1-2 questions per subject per week. Honestly, I use NEITHER. I use the Drill Questions from the back of the TM in every subject as our review. Except for Latin, which I flash card like mad.

I also noticed in the Review Box cards, not all the vocabulary from the Lit is included. Was this a mistake or on purpose? On purpose. The vocab listed will be the quiz vocab. It alerts you to which words will be the actually tested words so you can emphasize them during the lesson. You *don't* have to teach to the test, but it is wise to see the big picture when you are teaching a lesson.

I admit to being nervous. I fear "doing it wrong" which is irrational, I know. And I know I will be fine once we start and work out the bugs. Call the MP exterminator team! Anyone near me? I'm on the community page. If you're in TX, I'm not near you.

I don't think you *can* do it wrong. Just open and go. That is the beauty of an MP core.

Jen

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                Anyone near me? I'm on the community page.
                I'm in the Houston area! Sent you a private message!
                Last edited by MBentley; 03-19-2019, 05:41 PM.
                Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
                DS (MP1) - 7
                DS (K) - 5
                DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

I'm in the Houston area! Sent you a private message!
                  Pm'd you back. HI!!!
                  The Homeschool Grads:
                  J- 6/96
                  S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                  G- 4/04
                  D- 5/05
                  F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                  M- 9/16

Comment

Week 1 in review:

I am going to call this accountability therapy. I promise I won't do an update every week.

With Daylight Savings Time ending/starting, getting up earlier isn't working well yet. (Thanks, Ben Franklin!) Nevertheless, everyone is up by 9 am..

Teaching D and F together works very well. They are about evenly matched for most things except math. F grumbles a bit which I expected. Time for school is a little over 2 hours, depending on how many hugs and kisses M needs, and how many times I have to tell G to stop singing so loudly while he is working in his room. (Small apartment for 2 more months!) This probably seems light but by the time we are done, we all feel mentally exhausted. We are not tackling Latin for reasons I have said on many other threads. I am directly teaching all subjects except Art and D's math/science.

Scriptures, Spelling (AAS), Grammar, and Math (BJU 7 and R&S 3) are daily. The kids are also doing fact flashcards each day. This the year they all will master their basic facts (using MP FlashKids packs). We also review each cycling subject on its day. I didn't start Recitation yet. It is on the list for this week.

I did some tweaking so we are using Lit, Myths, Science, Geog, Writing (not CC, sorry), and Art (free choice) on a 3 times per 6 day cycle at 3 subjects each day. (Confusing?) As we are restarting at older-for-grade, I am hoping it will allow us to move forward a bit quicker while still acheiving mastery.

Writing will likely take us longer to finish at a slower pace since it was originally designed for 5 days a week.

For Lit, we do all the work for the chapter on its assigned day. This still works out to about the same amount of chapters per 5 days as scheduled in my 4NU guide. When we finish all our 4NU books, MP has so many others to pick from. D is especially interested in My Side of the Mountain.

Myths is all oral with filling in the Drill Questions and Reviews only. This isn't our first time reading this book or hearing Greek myths.

In Science, D wants to finish the Tiner series (2 done/4 to go) by the time he finishes BJU 7 Math. F is so far enjoying Mammals. I hope so cause she picked it!

Writing plans in pencil is a good way to save White-Out. I am using a planner my husband made for me copying from the 4NU CG. This is better than making a mess out of the 4NU book.

I decided to have G focus on wriitng/grammar and math using materials he has used successfully before. He will do math flashcards and religion with me alone during M's nap. He also reads from an assigned book each day. He read a history book and is now reading a fun book. That is about the limit of cooperation I can get from him right now. I am hoping this is just a stage, and it ends-- soon!

Week 2 and beyond, here we come!
                    Last edited by Enigma; 03-19-2019, 10:18 PM.
                    The Homeschool Grads:
                    J- 6/96
                    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
                    G- 4/04
                    D- 5/05
                    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
                    M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                    X