R&S Alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&S Alternative

Ok...I can't be the only Catholic here that doesn't love thw idea of using Rod & Staff for math (they do produce some other anti-Catholic materials, even if we aren't using them). Generally not a huge issue, BUT...

I am staring a new MP co-op (if this needs to be in the cottage school area, feel free to move it there) and the majority of families are Catholic and are not thrilled with the use of R&S. this means I need another math program for younger people. I am really looking at k-2 here.

My littles are using Math-U-See, but i am not sure how i feel about it just yet. Any recommendations for the primary age?
    Traditional Catholic mom of 4
    DD 16 - Kolbe 10th grade, volleyball player, applying to Catholic universities
    DD 14 - MP 8A, ASL, speech club, skater, crochet lover
    DD 6 - MP 1ST, volleyball and church lover
    DS 5 - mommy's crazy maker

Catholic family here! I went round and round about using R&S math. Almost to the detriment of my oldest! Singapore, Math U See, Horizons, CLE. I finally, just this year “settled” on R&S and it is the only program where we are finally making actual mastery progress in math.

I believe HLS Louisville actually does not even offer math in their cottage schools, so you could consider this in the lower grades.

Another option is Our Lady of Victory homeschool, they use Saxon math. A long time ago, Saxon only published Saxon 5/4 + So, they wrote their own program for K-3. Now that Saxon has a K-3 program they offer both their text and Saxon. I investigated this awhile ago, but never went through purchasing it. It looks like your basic math skills.

I think math u see in a school setting would be challenging?

p.s. check out Lumen Christi, a Catholic School in Indianapolis. They are using R&S in grades 1, 2 and 3. Then Saxon 5/4. Interesting. They also moved around the literature, so that FSR is being done in 1st, vice K! There is also a school or cottage school in Bloomington, IN, using the full MP. You might call them?
    Last edited by howiecram; 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

We use Singapore but it is not as conducive to a once a week teaching setting. Kolbe has lesson plans for Singapore. Perhaps if it is a once a week co-op you could let each family use their own math and do fact drills and number bonds and word problem skills in co-op?
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 23, graphic design and illustration major
      DS, 21, mechanical engineering major
      DS, 19, Dual chemistry and Philosophy major, considering Catholic seminary
      DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
      DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
      DS, 10, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 5A
      DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Comment

momgineer that may actually work...I just don't want to exclude all the Catholic community (and many will not touch rod and sstaff here.

We have looked high and low for an alternative, but I don't think there really is one. Maybe we need to readjust and tell parents we will do basic math drills in the co-op.days.

Would Singapore do well in a 2 day setting?

Comment

I think the trouble with most math is that they teach a new concept each day and it’s hard to teach 3-4 days of concepts without having the day to practice each concept before being taught the next concept.
          Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
          DD, 23, graphic design and illustration major
          DS, 21, mechanical engineering major
          DS, 19, Dual chemistry and Philosophy major, considering Catholic seminary
          DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
          DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
          DS, 10, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 5A
          DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Comment

Agreeing on the idea to let families pick. Math decisions can very quickly mushroom and threaten to take over from a lot of other worries. Doesn’t CCM have a math component? Or you could look at what Aquinas Learning, Schola Rosa, or one of those does. They are Co-op type programs and may have an answer for you.

AMDG,
            Sarah
            2018-2019
            DD 18 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
            DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 14 months

Comment

Seton Catholic Home Education program has their own program they publish, but I believe in the earliest grades they have recommendations for Math-U-See and Singapore. My sister (Roman Catholic mama to 7) still says that she prefers Math Mammoth in those youngest of grades.

We used Seton Mathematics 1, but lost interest. Another used parts of Math Mammoth and faded off. All of mine have loved Rod & Staff and the Bible Story mentions. I have one almost finished with 3, another in 2 Unit 2, and a third starting in Counting with Numbers. I have 4 and 5 on the shelf. We haven't had any issues and I might add that Seton even recommends several of the Rod & Staff History, but not all. So, I would think of it more on a book by book basis. The K-3 Rod & Staff books I have experienced are not objectionable.

All that said, depending on the size of your co-op, letting individuals choose the math that works best for their family may be a good element.
              Last edited by CherryBlossomMJ; 03-13-2019, 08:30 PM. Reason: Added thst Seton mentioned is Catholic program that recommends "some" Rod & Staff
              Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 8th Homeschooling
              Trekking along at a student self-pace...
              DD · 3M/4M -- DD · SC 3 -- DS · JrK -- DD · Pre

Memoria Scholé Academy
              [url]www.CreativeMadnessMama.com[/url]

Comment

We can't use R&S because the families do not want to support anti-Catholic companies, so I am trying very hard to respect that.

I did see that Schola Rosa uses Mammoth Math, and I know Kombe uses Singapore. I cannot believe no secular company has made a traditional math program yet.

I emailed the other moms to see if we want to just do drills on co-op days.

Comment

I'm using MathUSee with my co-op group right now. We meet more than one day a week, but I think MUS would work just fine for a once-per-week instruction. There are 32 (or so) lessons in one level. You could teach one a week, and the students do the first page or two of the practice book and then complete the rest at home with parents.

There are a couple of considerations.

1. While MUS is a "mastery" program, I still find that there is not enough drill practice to master the math facts. I supplement with printed fact drills that I make online and flashcards.

2. I think most students are capable of moving through MUS faster than one lesson per week. I do 2-3 per week with my group of 1st/2nd graders. We blew through Alpha in about 4 months and are into Beta. You might need to teach two lessons in your one class time, and send home two packets of practice work, to keep it from dragging.

3. MUS is manipulative heavy, and that is going to be a management issue. My students do all their math at co-op each week. But if they were doing some of the work with me, and the rest at home, you'd have to figure out a way to get those integer blocks back and forth, or maybe split the set into two sets and leave one at home and one a co-op. I also find it challenging to manage all those blocks in a group setting, although my students are much improved now at using the blocks to do math and not to build bridges and roads and such. #homeschoolers I spent more time than I would have liked managing manipulatives though.

All that said, I do think MUS is a good program. I started my year with Singapore math and hated it in the primary classrooms. It doesn't have enough mastery of arithmetic and too quickly goes to high-level thinking skills and the multiple-method approach to math.

Also, Singapore uses pictures in workbooks to teach these "conceptual" ideas, which is a nightmare to explain and manage in a group of 6 year olds! "Look at the cherry tree Celeste. Do you see the picture of cherry tree? No Nathan, you're on the wrong page...the cherry tree. Ryan, that's the picture of the bus, not the cherry tree. Luella, we are not coloring the picture right now. Adam...why are you underneath your chair? Get up! We are looking a the picture of the cherry tree and trying to learn math!" (Your experiences may vary.)

I am switching to R&S next year. Our tutorial is comprised of a lovely mix of Catholic and non-Catholic Christians. One of the many appeals of MP is that it seems to work well for both. The idea of the math curriculum being objectionable was not even on my radar. Hmmm. I hope it will still work for us, because MUS is kind of wearing me out.

Comment

Working...
                  X