Math Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math Problem

Today, F admitted to me that she has been COPYING her math lessons because she did not understand them and did not want me to teach it to her. She (and G) say I make school too long because I teach. Well, that is my job, dear! Our new customized 4NU core will be here Tuesday, but I didn't order Math. She has zero mastery of multiplication facts and no division. (Neither does G, but I ordered the flashcards.) She does have addition and subtraction facts down cold. I was thinking of starting her back at R&S 3 skipping the adding/subtracting bits and using the MP 3 plans. Does this sound like a good idea?

The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Yep. I was going to suggest not only R&S math, but backing up to Math 3, then moving forward again.

Why R&S math over any other math? First of all, a student of her age really *can* "self teach" most of the lessons because the text is written in a way that students can understand it, then apply. If she desires more independence instead of you teaching her directly, then R&S is an excellent choice. Suggestion: after she independently reads the lesson, have her work the Class Practice section, then bring it to you for grading/giving her the green light to proceed. Although that means stopping whatever you are doing for a few minutes, it places a stop into the process which will allow you to assess whether she is understanding on her own before proceeding. then you can re-teach lightly and only as needed.

But on the idea of multiplication fact mastery, this is essential and critical for moving into the next concept, fractions. There is no way to avoid the fact that she must be drilled daily, consistently, and thoroughly in order to master the facts. If she is resisting you, then it must be a sibling or dad who executes the daily flashcard drill (and the speed drills that accompany R&S Math 3, if you purchased them). That is right where the rubber meets the road in math. Even if she needs to stop completing math pages from the book, she *must* have daily drill. Even two times a day is not too much. The unique, specific pressure on the child to face each flash card head on is the way to move the child from "recognition" of the fact to "mastery" of the fact. Filling out pages in the book is secondary to this mastery of the multiplication tables. But, I am sure that you already knew that.

Jen

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Thanks, Jen, for affirming my gut feelings. I am going to my local store in a few minutes to purchase. Thinking on it, I did this same thing with my older boys at about the same age. AGG! History is repeating itself! It just goes to show that MP really does know what they are doing and talking about. SIGH! M is going to have such a more peaceful schooling than the others. MP all the way, Baby!
      Last edited by Enigma; 03-09-2019, 08:55 PM.
      The Homeschool Grads:
      J- 6/96
      S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
      G- 4/04
      D- 5/05
      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
      M- 9/16

Comment

We backed up to R&S 3 for my 12yo and it’s been good for him. One caveat: the third grade text is NOT self-teaching like later grades are. But like Jen said: she’s going to have to get over that and accept instruction whether it’s from you or her dad or an older sibling.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
        MPOA: High School Comp. II
        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
        7M with:
        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
        SC Level 4

DD9
        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8