Rod & Staff Math Grade 5 Quizzes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod & Staff Math Grade 5 Quizzes

Are there quizzes for Rod & Staff 5th grade math? If so, can you point me in a direction?

Thank you!
    Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
    9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus Henle I at home
    7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
    5th grade DD: 5M
    3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
    2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Hello.

There aren't quizzes for 5th grade. There are supplemental drills in the back of the math book that I used to use as quizzes sometimes. I would also put random multiplication and division problems on the board out of the text as quizzes. I found that if I gave my students 3-5 problems, it was more effective than giving them more. My goal was to encourage accuracy, and it is amazing to me how difficult it is for students to complete these long problems with accuracy.

I don't know why R&S varies the way they do quizzes and tests by grade. There are no tests for 3rd grade, no quizzes for 4th or 5th grades, and a quiz & drill booklet for 6th grade. So it's hard to keep up with what is available for each grade. We wrote our own tests for 3rd and quizzes for 4th that are in the curriculum manuals. I am meeting with our 5th grade teachers in the next couple of weeks, and I'll ask them if they have written any formal quizzes for 5th. If so, we can pass them along.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hello.

There aren't quizzes for 5th grade. There are supplemental drills in the back of the math book that I used to use as quizzes sometimes. I would also put random multiplication and division problems on the board out of the text as quizzes. I found that if I gave my students 3-5 problems, it was more effective than giving them more. My goal was to encourage accuracy, and it is amazing to me how difficult it is for students to complete these long problems with accuracy.

I don't know why R&S varies the way they do quizzes and tests by grade. There are no tests for 3rd grade, no quizzes for 4th or 5th grades, and a quiz & drill booklet for 6th grade. So it's hard to keep up with what is available for each grade. We wrote our own tests for 3rd and quizzes for 4th that are in the curriculum manuals. I am meeting with our 5th grade teachers in the next couple of weeks, and I'll ask them if they have written any formal quizzes for 5th. If so, we can pass them along.

Tanya
      Using the supplemental drills in the back of the book is a great idea. I appreciate the advice to only require 3-5 problems. I, too, am shocked at the level of inaccuracy! Ack! So frustrating after drilling, drilling, drilling those math facts all year.

Believe it or not, between my 3 girls, we are using R&S Math for grades 1 through 6 this year. We had some catch up to do, so I ended up having to use all of those grades. You are right - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the tests and the quizzes.

I will readily admit that I have been spoiled by MP's tests and quizzes for 3rd and 4th grades! They were super helpful. So yes, if you do stumble upon 5th grade quizzes during your meeting, I would be quite grateful. We'll do 5th again next year with a different child.
      Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2019-2020:
      9th grade DS: At a University-Model School this year plus Henle I at home
      7th grade DD: Mostly 7M Core and MPOA SFL
      5th grade DD: 5M
      3rd Grade DD: The one that doesn't fit nicely in a core ;) R&S 3rd Grade Math and Grammar, TS II, Prima, some MP2&3 Lit, CSII, Mammals
      2 yo DS Pudding Pie

Comment

Working...
      X