Starting late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting late

Hello, first time posting! I'm considering Memoria Press for our next school year. I will have a 6 th, 5th, and 3 Rd grader. When I look at the packages I wonder if it's too late to start? My two oldest have completed song school latin, that was a couple years ago we did not continue though. This year we are doing Sonlight core D together and my two oldest have no problem with the advanced readers. All 3 seem to be right where they need to be with reading. We use Singapore math and like it but is this something I should change? Not sure what to use after Singapore 6. Writing and grammar is something that we have struggled with! We have done First Language Lessons and this year my two oldest are doing Bob Jones English. I guess I'm just wondering would I go with separate packages? Am I able to combine? I have combined my two oldest for science and history from the beginning. I'm having a hard time figuring where to place them. We have liked Sonlight core D but they are getting tired of it. I feel like we should do core E because of the history sequence that's just my personality! One thing I've noticed is I feel like they need more with history than just reading. I have them do notebooking but I feel they need more. I have struggled to find a language arts program I like. I'm not great at Language arts so I want something that holds my hand. We use All About Spelling level 1, 5, and 6, I like it, my kids do not! When we did Song School Latin my kids liked it a lot, I wish I would have continued! Hopefully this all makes sense. Thanks for reading.

I would call to customize packages. Your 3rd grader can easily jump right into 3rd grade as long as the reading and math skills are in grade level. With the older two, I would combine them in Latin and the “weekly” classes of classical, modern, Christian and science and probably in composition and grammar too. You could combine them in literature if needed. Keep math and spelling on each’s Grade level. I’d start them in First Form Latin, Fable and English Grammar Recitation 1. The other subjects would depend on what they have been exposed to earlier and where you want to end up. A rep from MP can give you personal guidance.
    regarding MATH- we also use Singapore. Keep with it if it is working. It is a great program. After level 6, we have moved into the Singapore older version of Dimensions Mathematics 7 for pre-algebra and then used MP courses for algebra and geometry. However, the MP pre-algebra course is a perfect follow up to Singapore 6. It will make for a very smooth transition and a great year to summarize everything learned inSingapore Primary Mathematics and solidifies topics Singapore doesn’t focus on like negative numbers, dividing with decimals, and it also gives a more in-depth Intro to equation solving. My son who is my 6th to use Singapore math just finished 6B (skipping the CWP sections) and started into our Dimensions 7 book but it moved to fast so we will be doing the MP Pre-algebra book next year to give him a year to mature before starting algebra in 8.
    welcome to MP!! It is never too late to start a classical education. I think you will love MP!
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Hi Allie! and welcome!

Debbie has already given you some great advice to get started. I definitely agree with calling MP directly - their customer service is excellent, and they are so helpful! I just wanted to offer you a note of reassurance that it is definitely NOT too late! There is actually no such thing in classical education! You just need to figure out where to start (which can usually just be "the beginning") and go from there! You definitely have ways to combine, if you want to keep doing that, and MP will be able to offer you that "something else" that you are missing from your history - which is mastery! All our subjects with MP are built around the commitment to help children actually learn material for mastery...which gives them such a sense of joy and confidence. Do not worry right now about fitting into a core. MP will help you start with a solid base, and tailor each of the main things to where your children are.

Again, welcome!
      AMDG,
      Sarah
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

Hi Allie, I just want to say welcome, since this is my first year and my boys are also grades 5 & 6. I combine them for all, except spelling and math, just as Debbie said above. And we started at the beginning, as Sarah said. The parents and staff are very helpful at MP. You’ll get lots of help finding your way! Welcome!
        Monica

Comment

Thank you so much for responding! I will definitely be calling! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Comment

Allie06 Welcome! A good friend of mine always talks about how it's NEVER to late to get a great education. I'm getting mine right along with my kids. I'm 41, so your kids are way ahead of me! And to encourage you, you aren't starting from scratch! You've already studied content and worked on skills that will go forward with you into this next season. I encourage you to look at where you've done things well and see where they continue into a new curriculum. That's important for you (and for your kids) to see and value.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
            @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
            X