Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing 6th grade (A)- Encouragement / Suggestions

Hello!

It has been a *very* unusual year for us and we are basically *behind* most subjects for 6th grade . My hope is to at least help my 6th grader finish Latin before 7th grade. We are in lesson 4 and so I was wondering if there is anyway that we could condense the lessons and finish TFL before next school year? Any lessons or reviews that could be streamlined or skipped? We are considering enrolling in the online academy for Fourth Form. We've looked at TFL review for the summer but I'm not sure we'll be ready for that one. We have not made any progress in composition either and at this point I believe we'll just need a different program for the summer, not because CC is not good, it has been difficult for me to keep up with everything this year. We are on track for Spelling,EGR IV and Literature (two tests left to catch up) My plan for the rest of the subjects is to do the tests orally when possible and finish math by June. I so much appreciate you all wonderful ladies and any suggestions you can provide!

Thank you!
    MG
    Last edited by MG_; 03-04-2019, 12:36 PM.
    ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

If you skip the review lessons and do one lesson a week between now and Labor Day, you'd finish through lesson 28. According to this thread (https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...n-plans-change), that's what the TFL lesson plan now covers.

That's possible, but certainly not ideal, and it doesn't leave you any wiggle room (spring break, summer camp, etc). If you're willing to dedicate a decent chunk of time to Latin each day AND cut back elsewhere, I'd say it's doable. Just make sure kiddo is consistently doing well on quizzes, and not slacking on memorizing forms/vocab.
    Amanda
    Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post
      Hello!

It has been a *very* unusual year for us and we are basically *behind* most subjects for 6th grade . My hope is to at least help my 6th grader finish Latin before 7th grade. We are in lesson 4 and so I was wondering if there is anyway that we could condense the lessons and finish TFL before next school year? Any lessons or reviews that could be streamlined or skipped? We are considering enrolling in the online academy for Fourth Form. We've looked at TFL review for the summer but I'm not sure we'll be ready for that one. We have not made any progress in composition either and at this point I believe we'll just need a different program for the summer, not because CC is not good, it has been difficult for me to keep up with everything this year. We are on track for Spelling,EGR IV and Literature (two tests left to catch up) My plan for the rest of the subjects is to do the tests orally when possible and finish math by June. I so much appreciate you all wonderful ladies and any suggestions you can provide!

Thank you!
      MG
      Any reason you feel the need to finish third form in sixth grade? Condensing it and going all summer is pretty aggressive especially given the age. My recommendation would be to work at a lesson a week or every two weeks. Sign your student up for third form Latin with MPOA next year in 7th grade. He will be finished with the form series by the end of middle school which is a really good spot. The extra review won’t hurt at all, I just wouldn’t suggest stopping Latin for the rest of the school year. I think everyone will be happier not rushing through the material.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Wow! Third Form is by far the most intense Form! It throws a lot at you very quickly. It’s hard enough to do in one year much less a half a year. Consider that 6th grade is very young to be taking Third Form. It is the path of the most advanced Latin students. If one finishes Fourth Form in 7th, Henle 2 in 8th, Mueller Caesar in 9th, Henle 3 in 10th and AP Latin in 11th- then what to do in 12th??? There are courses out there to do. But why rush? Why not spread Third Form out over the remaining 6th and 7th (or do Third Form in MPOA in 7th) and get to AP in 12th? OR if you really want AP in 11th, consider that the online classes do Henle 2/Caesar in one year (as opposed to the homeschool plans that do Henle 2 without the Casare translations one year and Mueller Caesar the next year). If you do Latin 2 in the MPOA after Fourth Form then you will still get to AP in 11th.
        All this to say, you have plenty of time!!! Don’t rush Third Form. It is the lynchpin course in Latin. It has grammar that is hard and must be completely mastered to even think about tackling Caesar.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Amanda, Dorinda and Debbie,

Thank you! I have not considered the suggestions you all offered. My 6th grader *really* wants to finish it during 6th and I feel it has been mostly my negligence that this has not been done :0( , so part of me feels guilty that we are so behind. I appreciate your words, they have given me a few things to consider before making a decision.

Thanks again!
          MG

Comment

Originally posted by makinmemories

MG have you by chance looked at the 7th grade core? It is pretty much the same as 6A (with a very few exceptions). Hopefully that gives you and your student reassurance that you are in no way behind. So you could go at it from the perspective that you are actually right on track if not a little accelerated. Showing your student the 7th grade core may encourage them and allow you both some peace to just give what you have going another year. I agree with the above that you do not want to rush or cram your Latin. That really will cause you grief. Starting in the fall with TFL with the online academy will be a good thing. If you do finish your math by June then you could add pre-algebra for next year, otherwise just keep going with what you have.
            Thank you! I didn't think about it . We are actually doing pre-algebra this year and I'm thinking about enrolling in an online algebra course next year (AoPS? or maybe Shormann?) I really need to outsource a few of the subjects for 7th grade next year as it has become difficult for me to keep up.
            Last edited by MG_; 03-06-2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X