4M Literature guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4M Literature guides

Are any of the 4M literature guides more appropriate for 3rd grade than others? I see that they are all listed for 3-5 grade but if you had to pick one for a young 3rd grader which would you choose?
    N - 3rd grade at HLN
    G - 1st grade at home
    A - 1st grade at home

May I ask why you're asking? Is it because you finished all the other books and guides? You've read them all but not done the guides? Are you just looking for one novel to finish off the school year?

If you've done all the 3M books, The Moffats is also available but isn't in either the 3M or 4M default packages. I believe it's a nine week program, so that might get you close enough to the end of the school year to call Literature done.

If not then, following the Moffats, just continue with the 4M package. The Cricket in Time Square is first and the content is fine for a 3rd grader. Then you work through the rest of the package in order. But I would only do this IF you've done the guides for the 3rd grade books (not simply read the books). The skills taught and used in the Lit guides build on each other and go deeper than just enjoying a book.
    ~ Carrie
    Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
    7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
    2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

Originally posted by carriede View Post
      May I ask why you're asking? Is it because you finished all the other books and guides? You've read them all but not done the guides? Are you just looking for one novel to finish off the school year?

If you've done all the 3M books, The Moffats is also available but isn't in either the 3M or 4M default packages. I believe it's a nine week program, so that might get you close enough to the end of the school year to call Literature done.

If not then, following the Moffats, just continue with the 4M package. The Cricket in Time Square is first and the content is fine for a 3rd grader. Then you work through the rest of the package in order. But I would only do this IF you've done the guides for the 3rd grade books (not simply read the books). The skills taught and used in the Lit guides build on each other and go deeper than just enjoying a book.
      Good questions, we finished up 2nd grade quickly and I would like to keep the 3A core together for simplicity so I was looking for something to finish the school year with. I totally forgot about The Moffats, thanks for the reminder. That sounds like a much better option and a book we have not read before.
      N - 3rd grade at HLN
      G - 1st grade at home
      A - 1st grade at home

Comment

Originally posted by carriede View Post

Great! My kids have done no upper guides but I ordered 4NU. Are we going to have issues? My reasoning was they have read the 3M books repeatedly. (Except Farmer Boy. For some reason none of us can stand that book.)
        The Homeschool Grads:
        J- 6/96
        S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
        G- 4/04
        D- 5/05
        F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
        M- 9/16

Comment

All your kids are older than my current 4NU, so I think you'll be fine. My 9 year old is doing well. I guess I just mean I wouldn't push a younger kid into a higher level based solely on reading level. The questions gradually change from more factual (what, who, when) to why and how.
          ~ Carrie
          Catholic mom to four - ages 10, 8, 5, and 3
          7th year homeschooling, 2nd year MP!
          2019-2020: 5M (LC year 2), 3M (LC year 2), and K enrichment!

Comment

Working...
          X