No announcement yet.

Catholics using MP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another MP Catholic family here! I think the Christian Studies books are fantastic. These are the slight modifications we've made:

K-2: using a Catholic children's Bible
    Christian Studies 1-3: memorizing the deuterocanonical books along with the other Old Testament books
    Christian Studies 4: adding in Scott Hahn's Pocket Guide to the Bible (very succinct description of how the Bible came to be, how to read it, and includes a short summary of each book of the Bible, including deuterocanonical)
    High School: subbing Didache series for Christian Studies

Our kids study the Faith & Life books at our parish, but I can't wait to make more of them in our homeschool with the Catholic Studies supplement.
    Catherine

2018-19
    DS15, 9th
    DS13, 6th
    DS11, 5th
    DD11, 5th
    DS6, K
    DD3
    DS 10 mos

Homeschooling 3 with MP
    2 using First Form series in school

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
      Hi Monica! Couple of things that stood out for me from your post...

Your thoughts on these are right in line with the tradition of how we understand the difference between the OT and the NT...that we have to keep in mind, when God first began His Revelation to His people, He had to do so by degrees...that is, He had to work with His people gradually, like small children who have quite a lot to learn. As they were first being taught, things were very black and white, with severe consequences, to try to help them learn to simply obey. Think about how we deal with our youngsters. The way I explain something to my three or five year old is vastly different from how I discuss things with my teens. This is what God had to do with His people, too. They had to grow into their relationship with Him. When Jesus came, He brought us a tougher expectation...not only were supposed to obey, but we were supposed to have the right interior attitude of love, too. He raised the bar, not by fear and punishment, but by a demand of love. So yes - it would be more appropriate for your teens to prefer the way Jesus dealt with us than the methods described in the OT!

As for the Baltimore Catechism, the thing to keep in mind is that when we want to know anything, we have to start with the basic facts and flesh it out from there. Think about how we learn Latin. We learn first by memorizing the structure...the grammar. We do a ton of memorizing so that we have a strong foundation. Then, we get to the "good stuff" of being able to see Latin in action through translation. We don't really appreciate the language until we are reading things that convey depths of meaning that are rich and beautiful. The same is true for our faith. There are so many, many layers of what to learn. Beautiful mysteries that are difficult for even adults to understand. To even begin, we have to start with the "grammar" - that is, with the basic body of information on which greater truths will eventually be understood. So yes, the BC itself is very cut and dried. But this is why we learn it first - it is clear, and provides a foundation. Then, as they continue through their lives, they will always continue to understand these truths and mysteries more and more.

To give you an example, not that long ago, my oldest child made a comment something to the effect of, "Yeah Mom, I don't know why you had us memorize all that Catechism. It's not like I remember any of it anymore." Once I picked my jaw off the floor, I asked her what purgatory was. Without missing a beat, she rattled off a not-quite precise-but-good-enough answer that closely resembled what she had memorized. I asked her if she now understood what purgatory was. She grinned sheepishly. She had gotten my point. The memorization served a purpose for a time, and enabled her to move on to a greater depth of understanding. Without the foundation though - who knows what she would be able to understand, you know?

AMDG,
      Sarah
      Sarah - thank you (belated) for our comments. They are very helpful in my reflections and planning.
      Monica

Comment

Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post

Sarah - thank you (belated) for our comments. They are very helpful in my reflections and planning.
        Monica
        You are most welcome, Monica!
        AMDG,
        Sarah

​​​​​​​
        2018-2019
        DD 18 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
        DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 14 months

Comment

Something else I thought of and should have added earlier was that as you probably know, there are several different #’ered BC’s. The variation between them is the number of questions each one includes to suit different ages of student. We use #2 in the Catholic Studies program because it includes all of what children should learn by Confirmation. But for parents, a great resource is actually #4, which has all the questions from #2, along with helpful explanations for parents and catechists. I have found it to be a great resource.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          2018-2019

Comment

We use #2 in the Catholic Studies program because it includes all of what children should learn by Confirmation.

AMDG,
            Sarah
            Which publication do you use? Tan Books or another? Or just an online version?

Comment

The one we suggest in the program is the TAN publication. (It has a maroon cover).

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2018-2019

Comment

The one we suggest in the program is the TAN publication. (It has a maroon cover).

AMDG,
                Sarah
                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X