Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you combine in this scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah okay, I just read through every single response in complete silence...twice. I just want to thank all of you that took the time to offer your advice. I think what we've decided to do is just forge ahead with the 2nd grader and do most of the 3M core. He's more than capable and we'll just have to see how it goes I guess. I'll save Latin for the following year for the 2nd and 3rd grader to start together. I'm excited about starting the Catholic supplement so I'll do that next year and wait for the following year to do CS 1. Now I'm off to start getting this gigantic order ready! Thanks again-this forum is a great place to get feedback. I only hope I can offer my advice someday when I've "been there, done that" and then I'll chime in with the "should I combine" questions hopefully with some good insight!

Comment

i have pondered this over and over myself with the same distribution of kid ages (K, 1st, and 2nd) and I'm facing a similar colossal order soon. I've been reading these comments with great interest too. I pulled out my calendar and looked at the time distribution of classes for the kids and for myself. I am being gently persuaded that actually, it's might just be best to stay the course and follow the plan as written for each kid with as few modifications as possible. I've been listening to that "siren song" myself to combine combine combine. But maturity is real for us here. My 2nd is more mature, but has some challenges and some things take more patience. My middle guy (1st grade) is academically stellar, but he wants to negotiate the art of the deal in getting his workload (writing) reduced. I think 6 months is going to be meaningful to his maturity and the next level of work difficulty required for 2nd and I've been gently persuaded by others in this forum that he needs the extra year's time to work up his maturity to the 3rd core. My Kindergartner is a young one (Sept birthday) so I've got him doing work that his maturity level doesn't like so I'm having to take it slow and gently ease him into it. Since I started him young, I think his K year is going to take about 1.5 yrs and he will start 1st grade work next Jan. Honestly, that's not the end of the world if you think about it.

I'm to the point now where I am thinking the only modification I am going to make is to combine them for copybook and Bible Studies. I am going to pick scripture passages that we will all be memorizing as a family so that when they are done copying, we can recite. This means I have to generate a copybook for each kid (2 in cursive, 1 in print), but that's not a big deal. Bible studies is something that I'm just going to have to combine as well as best as I can. Studying scripture is tough for a kid with expressive/receptive learning challenges. Believe it or not, Latin is much easier than Bible. Everything else though, I'm strongly leaning towards following the cores with each kid. I've got my 1st grader doing Prima Latina, and if it seems as if he is actually grasping it well, then I'll probably have him tag along Latina Christiana with his brother for 2nd. We started Prima in January and I go year around so we won't be taking the summer off. We should finish it sometime in August. Ish. Thank you MP for the DVD's. I make them watch them 3-4 times during breakfast throughout the week. I get to do dishes and learn it myself.

The thing I've come to see for myself at least is this: I am not really totally engaged during a great deal fo their work. They are doing a lot of copying, calculating, and memorizing and I'm just not too necessary for much of it. I'm needed for Bible Studies (which are often 2 x a week), Literature, Enrichment, Science, and History. Literature is the only one that is every day. The other subjects kind of skip days. When I sum up my total time "fully engaged", it comes to about 2.5-3 hrs. When I sum it up for each kid individually, it comes to about the same amount of time. That doesn't mean the school day can start at 8 and end at 11 though. It has to stop and start over and over between 8:30-10:15, 11:15-12:30, and 1:30-2:45ish. Cumulatively, school is happening for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. No one student is doing all of that, and for that matter, neither am I. Lots of stuff is happening simultaneously because I am not integral to many of the subjects. I'm needed for a few minutes only. My real time grabbers are literature, read aloud, and enrichment. I'm looking ahead and if my time engagement is 2.5 - 3 hrs for this year, I think next year it may be 3 - 3.5 hrs. I get the impression that States and Capitals is a lot of memorization. Same for Astronomy. Honestly, I'm probably going to teach some of it, but much of it is up to him putting in the memorization time. How much of that time is really up to me for engagement? I don't think it is as drastic as I thought it looked at first.

But doesn't that mean I'll be doing 2 history classes, 2 science classes? Well...yeah. But Science and History for 2nd is once a week each for about 20 min each. States and Capitals / Astronomy alternate days too. I envision getting 3rd grader started on his science lesson, then popping over to 2nd for his. So it'll be happening at the same time. It may sound nuts, but I'm kind of gently being persuaded that I need to trust the system a little more. Honestly, I'm seeing that with a big family of kids, they seem to really love when I kick everyone else out and they get some real one on one time with Mama. They love the camaraderie, but they really love the individual attention time.

I'm going to be getting the 2nd grade enrichment for my rising 1st and 2nd, with only my second grader doing Patterns of Nature and Stories of Great Americans. My 3rd grader...I'm going to give an honest shot at doing his own enrichment as well. I'm sure he'll tag along to the other read aloud books too though and that doesn't hurt anything. I plan to use Audible and some headphones to help me out where I can. I don't think it will be too much because, again, the day breaks up over and over. The Latin DVD's can be useful during breakfast. and all the while, they are gently going to be pushed to read their own instructions and do more and more on their own.

I can't thank this forum enough because right now, I have peace that not only is this doable, but that I've got a clear path ahead of me, and I know where the flexibility areas are if I need to adjust.

Melissa

DS (MP2- 8)
      DS (MP1 - 7)
      DS K - 5 1/2
      DD (2 yr old sweetheart)
      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
      DS (MP2) - 7/8
      DS (K) - 6
      DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Melissa,
        One quick note on Latin from my experience: starting LC any earlier than third can get you into trouble down the line. With the rare exception for the precocious analytical thinker, First Form in fourth in plenty hard. Second Form (especially from prepositions onward) is twice as difficult as First. Third is the dark before the dawn (of Fourth). In our cottage school we are actually bumping Latin up one year: Prima in 3rd, LC in 4th, FF in 5th, etc. Our goal is to hit Second Form in sixth rather than fifth. It seems to be more ideal so that students achieve true mastery with the least amount of discouragement and overwhelmed feelings. My oldest is on this path and he's in Henle 2/Caesar this year in ninth. He'll get four years of high school translation classes including AP Virgil in 11th. That's with starting Prima in third and taking one class per year.

In my experience, it's easier to slow down at the beginning (or start a tad later) than it is to slow down and/or repeat levels later when they are older and more aware. I'm having my fourth grader (who is doing fine in FF) repeat it next year just to give her another year of physical growth and analytical maturity before moving on. I'm her teacher at cottage school and home. I just don't see the level of mastery I know will help her succeed in SF without a lot of struggle. We are taking the long view and adjusting now.

Just a perspective to add to your considerations!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
        @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Jessica, that is really helpful. What about taking the long form of LC over 2 years rather than 1? Would that work for a 2nd grader? Although it would mean getting to Second Form in fifth which you aren't a fan of. Or, what if I do what I did this year when I waited to start PL until January? Honestly, working with my oldest and the challenges there, I feel like that was a smart move. He's a tricky case. You have to appreciate that getting information into his head is more of a mechanical problem (getting it through the barriers) than a software problem (his actual ability to understand it). Waiting even 6 months has made a huge difference. He's really doing well with Latin. Maturity with my first grader is his only real barrier. And again, it may be that I just have to accept that we are doing 2 Latin classes (eventually 3). So glad the DVD's exist. Worst case scenario, we are alternating DVD's every other day. PL will review my older one. LC will expose my younger ones. My K kiddo will have heard PL so much (me too for that matter) I doubt I'll need the DVD when he starts it. I really appreciate the heads up.

Melissa

Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
          DS (MP2) - 7/8
          DS (K) - 6

Comment

We are painting like crazy at my house today (celebrating the awesome weather, finally!). Please remind me to get back to you if I forget.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              In our cottage school we are actually bumping Latin up one year: Prima in 3rd, LC in 4th, FF in 5th, etc. Our goal is to hit Second Form in sixth rather than fifth. It seems to be more ideal so that students achieve true mastery with the least amount of discouragement and overwhelmed feelings. My oldest is on this path and he's in Henle 2/Caesar this year in ninth. He'll get four years of high school translation classes including AP Virgil in 11th. That's with starting Prima in third and taking one class per year.
              !
              Jessica, do you find the rest of the Classical Curriculum for 2nd and 3rd grade fit well with starting Prima in 3rd grade? Or is there anything you would add or eliminate for a 2nd grader waiting to start Prima until 3rd?

Anne

2019/2020
              DD 7 - MP core 2nd grade
              DD 5 - MP core K
              DS 3 -adorable and into everything

Comment

Originally posted by Anne E View Post

Jessica, do you find the rest of the Classical Curriculum for 2nd and 3rd grade fit well with starting Prima in 3rd grade? Or is there anything you would add or eliminate for a 2nd grader waiting to start Prima until 3rd?
                I am not Jessica and she has way more experience, but now that MP is releasing an “ENglish Grammar Practice”, I think there is plenty of work in 2nd grade if you do the literature guides as outlined in the syllabus.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...dent-workbook/
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

howiecram Is this what you were saying will be added to second? Anne E We'll have to wait and see how it goes with a group but Prima in third is what I did with my oldest seven years ago! We just used one Latin level lower than the accelerated plans each year. He's in ninth grade now and moving right along. I think this contributed to a feeling of always being equal to the work, which is great over the long haul. I can't remember what I posted up thread here, but he'll have four years of translation including AP in 11th. I'm actually going to have to be creative with that senior year class because MPOA doesn't always have an extra class after AP! There's only so much runway without a personal tutor (which i do not have, haha!).
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                  S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                  D · 8th
                  D · 5th
                  S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                    Jessica, that is really helpful. What about taking the long form of LC over 2 years rather than 1? Would that work for a 2nd grader?

Although it would mean getting to Second Form in fifth which you aren't a fan of. Or, what if I do what I did this year when I waited to start PL until January? Honestly, working with my oldest and the challenges there, I feel like that was a smart move. He's a tricky case. You have to appreciate that getting information into his head is more of a mechanical problem (getting it through the barriers) than a software problem (his actual ability to understand it). Waiting even 6 months has made a huge difference. He's really doing well with Latin. Maturity with my first grader is his only real barrier. And again, it may be that I just have to accept that we are doing 2 Latin classes (eventually 3). So glad the DVD's exist. Worst case scenario, we are alternating DVD's every other day. PL will review my older one. LC will expose my younger ones. My K kiddo will have heard PL so much (me too for that matter) I doubt I'll need the DVD when he starts it. I really appreciate the heads up.

Melissa

Sorry for the long delay! Truly, I would just recommend waiting to start until the recommended ages. Latin is like math (cumulative) in that everyone will have the exact level they are working on. Yes, you will have multiple levels in your house and that is appropriate. I did DVDs at home through Second Form. Unless you are going to continue learning with them and do the work, then I think Third Form is a good place to call in outside help. For most of us that looks like MPOA. In my view, your job in the homeschool is to lay a good foundation. Very few parents keep working through the upper levels with their kids. I know of about three on this forum!
                    Last edited by pickandgrin; 03-07-2019, 09:32 AM.
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                      Very few parents keep working through the levels with their kids. I know of about three on this forum!
                      That I did not know. I've kind of been assuming you all had to do the workbooks too just to keep up with the next layer of information. I've been doing the drill boxes and workbooks myself and printed out my own version of a copybook just to keep up! There's probably only so far I can go though. Is everyone doing the Greek too on top of the Latin too?
                      Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
                      DS (MP2) - 7/8
                      DS (K) - 6

Comment

Ha! No Greek for me! I’m still hoping to pick my Latin back up! I think the # of mom’s actually doing Greek with their kids is even smaller - but that’s my guess.

AMDG,
                        Sarah

2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                        DS, 16
                        DD, 14
                        DD, 12
                        DD, 10
                        DD, 7.5
                        DD, 5.5
                        +DS+
                        DS, 18 months

Comment

MBentley That would be a great poll! I've done through SF then couldn't keep up. Now we do Latin at our Cottage School and MPOA. I teach First Form there (HLN) and I am moving up to teach SF next year. I'm still on the bunny slopes of Mt. Parnassus. I did Greek in college but even so didn't have time to keep up with my kids n homeschool. A mom can only do so much. We do a bit in middle school but I do not require it beyond that. Everyone will do Latin through graduation, just like at HLS. Maybe *their kids* will do Greek, too! I'm taking the very long view of classical ed as a generational work. Rome wasn't built in a day (or one generation).
                          Festina lentē,
                          Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                          D · 8th
                          D · 5th
                          S · 2nd

Comment

Working...
                          X