No announcement yet.

Course Sequence to get to Biology in 9th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all- relax about science. What you do before 6th or 7th is pretty irrelevant. My suggestion is to do whatever MP science is in the manual through 5th. In 6th do a life science (could be MP trees/biology). In 7th do the Novare Physical Science and 8th Novare Earth science. Then in 9-12 do the path that gets you where you want. Doesn’t even need to be MP books. Whatever you do- do not- I repeat do not- follow the MP 9th science suggestion of Physical Science. That is solidly a 6th-7th grade level book and will put you way behind getting to AP level classes. A typical student with Novare should do Intro Physics in 9th, bio in 10, chem in 11 and either trig physics, astronomy, or anatomy in 12. An advanced student who is strong in math should do bio in 9, advanced chem in 10, trig physics in 11 and an AP or community college science in 12.
    Re math- MP math is the same regardless of A or M path. The chart Tanya posted is not necessarily what is in the curriculum manuals. MP will adjust your math per your request. So if you want a different math than is in the manual, just ask and you get the lesson plans for the one you use. My science geek did prealgebra in 6 and algebra in 7 and thus calc in 11. He did an AP BC calc through a different homeschool academy and passed his AP test so took calc 3 at cc senior year. It’s no trouble to adjust the math.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 21, chemistry major
    DS, 18, Physics major
    DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
    DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
    DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Thanks for that suggested advanced math/science breakdown. I've been trying to work out our math/science sequence for my rising 6th grader. He'll do prealgebra next year and I was hoping to readjust the science sequence similarly to how you suggested.
      Jennifer

2018-2019
      R- DS, 10, 4NU

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
        First of all- relax about science. What you do before 6th or 7th is pretty irrelevant. My suggestion is to do whatever MP science is in the manual through 5th. In 6th do a life science (could be MP trees/biology). In 7th do the Novare Physical Science and 8th Novare Earth science. Then in 9-12 do the path that gets you where you want. Doesn’t even need to be MP books. Whatever you do- do not- I repeat do not- follow the MP 9th science suggestion of Physical Science. That is solidly a 6th-7th grade level book and will put you way behind getting to AP level classes. A typical student with Novare should do Intro Physics in 9th, bio in 10, chem in 11 and either trig physics, astronomy, or anatomy in 12. An advanced student who is strong in math should do bio in 9, advanced chem in 10, trig physics in 11 and an AP or community college science in 12.
        Re math- MP math is the same regardless of A or M path. The chart Tanya posted is not necessarily what is in the curriculum manuals. MP will adjust your math per your request. So if you want a different math than is in the manual, just ask and you get the lesson plans for the one you use. My science geek did prealgebra in 6 and algebra in 7 and thus calc in 11. He did an AP BC calc through a different homeschool academy and passed his AP test so took calc 3 at cc senior year. It’s no trouble to adjust the math.
        That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Brilliant. Thank you so much.

The geek in me loves your username "momgineer".
        Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
        DS (MP2) - 7/8
        DS (K) - 6
        DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post

The geek in me loves your username "momgineer".
          thanks! I only worked as an engineer for a year and a half, but that love of math and science permeates my home. My husband is an engineer too. I have a son who is an engineer, one studying chemistry, one studying physics and my daughter is a graphic designer/illustrator- but we didn’t disown her! I

DS, 21, chemistry major
          DS, 18, Physics major
          DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

That is so awesome!!!! I was a Chem major. Then got an MBA in accounting so yep...lots of math and science. Which probably explains why I'm so ridiculous about making sure we get to AP Sciences and Calc...

Although, I'm seriously considering taking the 12th grade and doing a deep dive into some cool graphics/programming/coding software. You know, have my kid make a pseudo business, build websites, create templates pages, create and utilize digital marketing. I may even give them a little money to see how starting a business would work and even throw in some accounting stuff. My brain is buzzing with and idea to have them learn graphics with Adobe software, or some of the animation and modeling software like Maya, and the holy grail, photoshop. Part of me wants to add it on as a side class twice a week starting in 8-9th and carry onward.
            Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
            DS (MP2) - 7/8
            DS (K) - 6
            DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

MBentley, How about you do all that stuff for fun and not for school? I'm hoping all my kids will have a tiny business before they leave home. So far I have a wood worker and a baker/crocheter in the oldest two. I'm cutting my business chops learning how to run an LLC and am teaching what I can to them along the way.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

2020-2021
              11th year HSing · 9th year MP
              @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
              11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

That’s how my graphic designer got started. We bought her the full Adobe creative suite for her 16th birthday and she did the graphics for a small online girls run literary magazine. She also started an Etsy business doing Tolkien inspired jewelry. It helped pay rent in college and she still does a bit with it even though she is employed as a web designer full time. She did Kolbe honors program in high school which is a very intensive classical program and she still had time for her creative business. High school is the best time to let them explore these paths. She still get trig physics and calculus even though she was going into art. She is a my daughter after all.
                Now if she could get a job with a company with a passion for classical studies she’d be in Heaven. MP- need a graphic designer/illustrator ??
                DS, 21, chemistry major
                DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Debbie,
                  I always love hearing about classically educated kids and their wildly different but always beautiful paths!
                  Festina lentē,
                  Jessica P

2020-2021
                  11th year HSing · 9th year MP
                  @ Home, HLN, & Latin online
                  11th, 9th, 6th, 3rd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
                    That is so awesome!!!! I was a Chem major. Then got an MBA in accounting so yep...lots of math and science. Which probably explains why I'm so ridiculous about making sure we get to AP Sciences and Calc...
                    I can't help but remark on this, as I have two undergrads: BS in Chemistry and a BA in Economics, then a few years ago, I went back for an MaEd in Secondary Education. I'm officially a licensed high school chemistry teacher. So, MBentley, we speak the same language: you CAN go back and learn more (a huge benefit to homeschooling your kids!). <huge grin>

I second everything Debbie said. So many young homeschool moms stress about each element of MP's early science (aka nature studies) because they want to be thorough. What I have found is that a student who is going to be gunning for math, engineering, or STEM in general tends to love the physical sciences best. You may be wanting your 4th grader to "do insects", but meanwhile he is begging you to study magnets or electricity. Of course, you can have your younger students learn/memorize some of the natural world through the MP science choices in the early grades, but they are once a week subjects, very light. As Tanya said upthread, my MIT kid would have lasted... OK, no, I have nothing there. In the 4th grade I handed him Physical science and he had a 95% in it by April when we finished the book. [Should you like to read more about my oldest, you might search the forums; I refuse to overtake every thread which touches math and science by reiterating his story over again.]

Debbie's sequence is spot on. I recommend using her recommendations above for a STEM-y kid. That said, I sort of dislike Earth science. It's probably a failing of mine. I've taught it in classrooms and still thought it was boring. Oops. My own sequence might be to skip that (or only cover the highlights in a semester) then allow for some interest driven science in middle school. By the time the student hits "high school science", that track is pretty rigid since it is set by the typical student's MATH abilities. The entire high school sequence is based around a student's ability to apply algebra in high school chemistry. Literally, the placement of chemistry is the lynch pin of both sequences: when will the student have enough cognitive abilities to apply his knowledge of algebra TO chemistry (which ought to be math-based, not only concept based). High school chemistry is the intersection of a student's math and science knowledge, so that then calc based physics can follow behind.

Probably *way* more than you wanted to hear. Sorry!

Jen
                    DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Debbie,

Definitely storing away this tidbit about your daughter. No openings at the moment, but we are growing, so you never know. Any chance your daughter would like to send me her resume to keep on file for the future?

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                        Debbie,

Definitely storing away this tidbit about your daughter. No openings at the moment, but we are growing, so you never know. Any chance your daughter would like to send me her resume to keep on file for the future?

Tanya
                        She is already planning to send one in just in case. Her current employer is going to expand the business from web design to also being a “medical” marijuana distributer- so she is looking around. She has always loved the graphic design of MP material. This is my girl who has always been an artist but is still a geek at heart. Her senior design project was creating a children’s museum display about the universe and her independent study class was illustrating a story by George MacDonald. She took calculus in college for her math credit even though she only needed college algebra. And an honors college professor asked if she went to a classical high school because he rarely sees students who have actually read authors like Homer, Dante and Tocqueville.
                        I just totally hijacked the post though!!! My point was she knew she wanted to be a designer/ illustrator early on in high school. We made sure she had opportunity to pursue that passion and experience running a business all why still maintaining high educational standards and “making” her take all those math and science classes. The beauty of homeschooling is being able to do both- quality education and real life experiences.
                        DS, 21, chemistry major
                        DS, 18, Physics major

Comment

Debbie,

I look forward to receiving her resume and any portfolio information she has.

Thanks,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                          X