Course Sequence to get to Biology in 9th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Course Sequence to get to Biology in 9th

So looking ahead, I can see where doing the 3M vs 3A core results in a long term choice for science. In 3M and onward, you would get Mammals in 3rd grade, but it looks like you lose Biology in 9th. In my mind, I kind of want to do Bio, Chem, Phys, and then some AP or Dual enrollment College course in 12th. This means that if I do the 3M course, I either have to double up one year, or skip something. If you were facing this, what would you skip or what would you combine? Whereas, if you do 3A, you seem to skip Mammals altogether, and go straight to Astronomy.

Anyone tackle this?

Melissa
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Melissa,

Cindy Davis did a little chart for several science and math options that I am going to attach here. It may help you make your plan.

MMath & Science Upper School Plan.pdf

Tanya

Comment

Neither of my older kids did Mammals because it didn't exist when they went through the cores. My third kiddos skipped it as well. If you are looking for room, that's an easy place to get it. Working from 12th grade down is a great way to do science. My plan for my kids is
      12th: Vector Physics or easier class (I'm a fan of astronomy here) if they are not headed toward a math/science heavy trajectory
      11th: Chemistry
      10th Biology
      9th: Algebra Based Physics (Introductory Physics) (You can read up on the Physics first option here: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com...november-2016/)
      8th: Physical Science
      7th: Earth Science (we are using Novare from 7th through high school)
      6th: Trees/Bio
      5th: Birds/History of Medicine
      4th: Insects
      3rd: Astronomy

Hope this helps!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
      DS Hillsdale College freshman
      DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
      DD 8th • HLN & Home
      DS 5th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

I just realized I'm going to have to buy lesson plans for both 3M and 3A and forever onward. Or just start on 3A and hope for the best. Maybe that's been the right direction all along. I've got a couple that I am pretty sure will end up in med/sci/tech heavy fields. I really REALLY want to be sure that I can spend a year going through Calculus nicely and calmly and slowly before they get the really fast version in college. I took Calculus in HS and although I didn't take tons away from it, I took enough that I didn't drown when I had it again in college. I'm a little flexible on the science though. If you are going into the sciences, the college courses are truly awesome. I took AP Bio and I got a 3. Still meant I had to re-take it again and actually, it was kind of a nice, pleasurable course. (Chem major here) Actually, I'm toying with the idea of doing a computer science/coding class in 12th just in case software engineering is in the cards. Some of the new digital drawing/designing/3D modeling programs are being hosted out to homeschool families. (You see their names if you start up an XBOX game. Don't ask how I know...)

Last edited by MBentley; 02-20-2019, 01:29 PM.
        Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
        DS (MP3A) - 8
        DS (1) - 7

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
          I just realized I'm going to have to buy lesson plans for both 3M and 3A and forever onward.
          Not necessarily! Whenever you customize a package we provide the lesson plans for any swapped subject. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Comment

I guess i was originally operating under the impression that the only real differences between the M and A cores was that there would be a choice at the end (12th) regarding the classical education portions. I was under the impression that the math and science would remain the same. Looking at the PDF above comparing the 2, there is a sharp deviation between the two for both Math and Science. It looks like different books altogether for Math at grade 7 and Science at grade 6 and from then on until the end. I like the A core for Math and Science but the M Core for the classical studies. That's why I'm looking ahead. Sadly, I'm kind of a planner. So I need to see what 12 looks like before I do 3, which is when this all starts.

Melissa

Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
            DS (MP3A) - 8
            DS (1) - 7

Comment

Melissa,

The only difference in math is that students who aren't ready for pre-algebra in 7th grade will hone their prealgebra skills in 7th grade in R&S Math 7. So that puts them a year behind the accelerated schedule, but the books are the same - they are just a year later. And these students get to pre-calculus, but not calculus.

For science, if you have a student you think can be an AP science person, you will want the accelerated path. But many students are not going to get to AP, so they can have a slower pace. My children were never going to be AP science contenders, so my goal for them was preparation for basic college science. They took biology and chemistry and conceptual physics, which I felt was quite a bit of science concerning their strengths were in liberal arts subjects. They were well-prepared for college. This path wouldn't have worked for Jen's (formerly in Japan) MIT son. He needed calculus and advanced science to get where he wanted to be.

It is fine to attempt to plan your students' path to be more accelerated for math and science, but you can always drop back if you find it is moving too quickly. That is probably better than planning on the slower path and running out of time when you find out they want to go to MIT! It was obvious to me very early that my children were not on that path, and I think it will become clear to you.

And you can easily do an accelerated path for math and science and a moderated path for language arts and history classes. We want you to customize for your family. We understand that each student is different. A big perk to homeschooling is that you can meet the needs of each student, and we want you to be comfortable in your path. We are glad to help you put together a curriculum package that in individual to your situation.

Tanya

Comment

If you needed to drop one, which one would you drop, to get to Earth Science in 7th? Insects, birds or trees?
                Christine

(2022/2023)
                DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

That is totally a matter of preference. It's all nature study, so choose the one you are least interested in to drop!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                    If you needed to drop one, which one would you drop, to get to Earth Science in 7th? Insects, birds or trees?
                    Just keep in mind that not all those are year long courses by themselves--Insects is an entire year (or at least is scheduled for a year), Birds is paired with History of Medicine, and Trees with History of Bio. Seeing what they are paired with in the yearly sets is a good way to gauge. You might already be knowledgeable about one of them as well, making that an easy drop. We didn't know most of our local birds when my oldest did it, but now my first grader knows most if not all of the MP birds in that set because we learned them as a family. You may have the same experience with multiple kids!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                    DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Tanya makes great points about adjusting for individual children. This comes up a lot when people are asking about core sets for 11th and 12th. I don't know any high schoolers that line up with a set really. They are in different places with math and science skills (the latter heavily dependent on the former) as well as Latin levels, choosing different literature selections, or shifting things from one classification to another (a good friend has the classical studies double as literature for a few years), etc. Once you have been using MP for years you will feel comfortable with the form and format of MP and be confident enough to make your own specific choices within the framework that they've trained you to see as you approach your children's studies. Since we all have unique state graduation requirements to satisfy as well as individual college expectations that need to be considered, putting together the "core" becomes more art than science in the high school years. The good news it that using MP now will help train you for doing that later! For the few cumulative studies, backing out from 12th will help you see where you need to be. In fact, the more you learn about the high school offerings through MP the more you will appreciate the early and middle years which are perfect preparation! My admiration is growing the deeper we get.
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                      DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

Just keep in mind that not all those are year long courses by themselves--Insects is an entire year (or at least is scheduled for a year), Birds is paired with History of Medicine, and Trees with History of Bio. Seeing what they are paired with in the yearly sets is a good way to gauge. You might already be knowledgeable about one of them as well, making that an easy drop. We didn't know most of our local birds when my oldest did it, but now my first grader knows most if not all of the MP birds in that set because we learned them as a family. You may have the same experience with multiple kids!
                        We opted for the mammals route, and I was thinking Earth Science 8th grade, not 7th. I have to check our state requirements, but there is something about two different high school diploma tracks in IN that I will have to verify. It seems Algebra 1 in 8th or bust too, but I do not know if that will be possible for the oldest. It is good to know the paths though.
                        Christine

(2022/2023)
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)

Comment

Wow! Not every student is ready for Algebra 1 in 8th. I hope there is another option out there, Christine!
                          Festina lentē,
                          Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                          DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

I took algebra 1 9th grade, first semester and bombed it. Ah, so did my 2years older brother. We were given the opportunity to re-take it TOGETHER the following semester and the whole next year. Joy.

So, I took algebra for 9th and 10th, he took it for 12th grade. Yep.

Needless to say, math was and is still not my strong suit. He went into the Navy and I earned a BA. We both turned out just fine.

And I'm finally learning my multiplication tables with my 5th grader doing 3rd grade math. Yep....Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
                            DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
                            DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
                            DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
                            Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
                            Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
                              I took algebra 1 9th grade, first semester and bombed it. Ah, so did my 2years older brother. We were given the opportunity to re-take it TOGETHER the following semester and the whole next year. Joy.

So, I took algebra for 9th and 10th, he took it for 12th grade. Yep.

Needless to say, math was and is still not my strong suit. He went into the Navy and I earned a BA. We both turned out just fine.

And I'm finally learning my multiplication tables with my 5th grader doing 3rd grade math. Yep....Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
                              Similar experience here. I went to DoD school for middle school (we lived in Germany), I took Algebra 1. We moved back to the states, to one of the “best” high school districts in Illinois and they did not “accept” my courses! (Their school being so superior to wherever I could have come from) *sarcasm*. I actually wanted to repeat, but found out they had an “Acclerated” Algebra 1. They made me take a placement test, I scored 93.5%. (It was at the end of summer during a stressful move. They wanted 95% to get into the “advanced” class. I was livid! Luckily, they had us all take the test again on the first day of class and I got that 95%! I missed 3 weeks though....anyway, geometry followed, then Algebra 2/trig. I bombed trig...so when Cal came along, I could do the algebraic equations, but I never memorized the trig...so I did Cal A, 2x!

We we had a short tour of duty during my 3rd and 4th grade year and my parents had me switch schools, and classes...so in 2 years, I was 3 classrooms (2 schools). I missed something somewhere and remember fractions being particularly difficult. Now, when my 9 year old is moving through grade 3 math at a slower speed, I only feel peace!
                              Christine

(2022/2023)
                              DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years

Comment

Working...
                              X