Language Arts Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language Arts Subjects

I posted a while back about being new to mp. I was drawn in by the literature guides and now I have decided to use introduction to composition. I was going to use rod and staff spelling, but may switch to spelling workout. I'm pretty much sold on all language subjects with mp. I am satisfied with my math, science and history. So, grammar is pretty much the only thing I feel unsure about. Am right your grammar is tied into latin with mp? Is there a schedule for just the language arts subjects? How big of a time commitment is the grammar and latin? Is there diagramming? Thanks!

Hi, Elizabeth.

Our grammar is written as a supplement to Latin, so if you aren't doing Latin, you want to do a more comprehensive English grammar. We recommend Rod & Staff grammar because it is comprehensive, easy to teach, and repetitive enough. But our top recommendation would be for you to do Latin, which teaches English grammar better than English! Latina Christiana and English Grammar Recitation should take less than an hour a day to complete if you do it every day. First Form Latin and English Grammar would take about an hour a day also.

As for spelling, we switched from R&S Spelling because we found it difficult for our grammar school teachers to teach well. R&S teaches more concepts in a week, and grammar school teachers don't really understand phonics, so we felt like they would be better off with a spelling program that teaches one concept at a time. I think, at home, either program would be fine. As homeschool teachers, you start by teaching your students phonics in primary school, so you can make the leap to spelling rules and the connections those have to phonics. But a grammar school teacher has never necessarily taught phonics before, so that foundation isn't there.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hi, Elizabeth.

Our grammar is written as a supplement to Latin, so if you aren't doing Latin, you want to do a more comprehensive English grammar. We recommend Rod & Staff grammar because it is comprehensive, easy to teach, and repetitive enough. But our top recommendation would be for you to do Latin, which teaches English grammar better than English! Latina Christiana and English Grammar Recitation should take less than an hour a day to complete if you do it every day. First Form Latin and English Grammar would take about an hour a day also.

As for spelling, we switched from R&S Spelling because we found it difficult for our grammar school teachers to teach well. R&S teaches more concepts in a week, and grammar school teachers don't really understand phonics, so we felt like they would be better off with a spelling program that teaches one concept at a time. I think, at home, either program would be fine. As homeschool teachers, you start by teaching your students phonics in primary school, so you can make the leap to spelling rules and the connections those have to phonics. But a grammar school teacher has never necessarily taught phonics before, so that foundation isn't there.

Tanya
      Thank you for your reply. So, is the amount of time for latin and grammar involve the teacher the whole time? Do you schedule the literature guides, grammar/latin, spelling, handwriting and composition all 5 days a week ?

Comment

What grades are you considering again? I have 2nd and 3rd grade, and these are all scheduled daily. It is my understanding that math, spelling and English are always daily until Spelling is dropped. EGR is "taught" one day/week, and then review is either up to the student or part of your review box. I think the Core Skills book is also one day/week. And the beauty of spelling with SWO is that it is also super quick, no more than 20 min/day in 3rd on. TS2 can take a bit longer on Monday and Tuesday, as you're introducing phonics concepts and overseeing handwriting and letter formation. Wednesday on I just let her do her own writing and activities. It's not teacher intensive unless your child is struggling with the material or lacks some attention to detail. I hovered a lot more in the beginning to supervise correct copying of her words.

Literature moves away from phonics work in 3rd. And while the vocab, quotes and comprehension questions could be assigned, there is so much joy in watching your child make those connections and discussing it with them. Lots of moms do it the non-sanctioned way and discuss later. YMMV.

Composition is supposed to be one day a week, right? ATFF in 3rd is one day a week.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3
        Summer: First Start French I
        SY 22/23
        6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
        MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Prima Latina and Latina Christiana are teacher-directed, just like all of our primary curriculum. Students can work independently on writing their vocabulary words, but we do all the exercises together and definitely teach the classes (which the dvds would do for you). First Form Latin is completed in 4th grade at HLS, so it is pretty teacher-directed too, but for older students, you can teach the lessons (or use the dvds) and turn them loose on their workbooks. Your role would be to check their work, lead them in a recitation regularly, and help them review vocabulary to mastery. The teacher time required is more about the age of the student than the course. A 4th grader needs lots more help with First Form Latin than a 6th grader does.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
            Composition is supposed to be one day a week, right? ATFF in 3rd is one day a week.
            Once we begin the Classical Composition sequence, composition is scheduled daily in our lesson plans. However, I believe at least one forum member has shared on here how she makes CC work as a one-day-a-week subject.

HTH!

Comment

That was probably me and a few others. Some of us have found that composition is more likely to be done well if it's given a big chunk of mom time once per week versus 15-20 minutes a day. Back when we were doing this at home it was one of the first things that had to be dropped on a long or heavy day. If you can dedicate the time, it's a very nice daily subject. If you are spinning lots of plates, a once per week treatment (or even twice) might be a solution to make sure it gets down well and doesn't get dropped or overlooked. Also remember this is ideally a conversation so it's not all up to your solo kid to come up with the synonyms, etc. himself. You can't help too much in the first few levels as they find their feet and grow in confidence. In a classroom, there are 10+ other kids with ideas so they are carrying a different load than your child with mom's eyes looking at only him for ideas. Ideas spark other ideas. You can use the TM and your ideas to help spark ideas in your homeschooled child. That's not cheating!
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
              DS Hillsdale College freshman
              DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
              DD 8th • HLN & Home
              DS 5th • HLN & Home
              Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
              Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                Also remember this is ideally a conversation so it's not all up to your solo kid to come up with the synonyms, etc. himself. You can't help too much in the first few levels as they find their feet and grow in confidence. In a classroom, there are 10+ other kids with ideas so they are carrying a different load than your child with mom's eyes looking at only him for ideas. Ideas spark other ideas. You can use the TM and your ideas to help spark ideas in your homeschooled child. That's not cheating!
                So, so very helpful!
                Christine

(2022/2023)
                DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Working...
                X