How many times do you read the enrichment books/wk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many times do you read the enrichment books/wk

The house is quiet. Everyone including hubby went to bed and actually went to sleep. For the last 3 hours I've been watching the Sodalitas videos from 2018. Thank you for posting those videos. I have a question though about the enrichment guides and the number of times reading each book in the K-2 levels.

I understand the read-a-louds should ideally be read three times at least. (oops) But...what about the science/history/geography books. Some of those are kind of long and detailed. Just looking at the Children Just Like Me Celebrations book...that's a long one. There are so many details that it would take me all day just to do that book and for the little bit I did with my kiddos, they were tuning me out and getting restless pretty quick. I was more into it than they were. I can't help but get the idea that the purpose of some of these science/geography/history books are not so much to read straight through like you do the other read-a-lounds for K-2. Some of these, like this one in particular, seem like they are encouraging me to pick and choose topics and subjects within the books to add supplemental information to the theme for the week. But if I am understanding that right, does that mean I should be going back into these books several times during the week? Should I be reading "Miles and Miles of Reptiles" and "Alligators and Crocodiles" three times in the same week, along with "Lyle Lyle Crocodile" three times (1st Grade, Week 5)? In essence, I would be reading 3 books, 3 times each during the same week? Was that the goal or am I making it more complicated.

Hello.

We added the science and enrichment sets because homeschoolers wanted a more robust science and history for the primary years. At HLS, there isn't much time to spend on those subjects because our K students are only in class 2 days a week and our 1st-2nd students are in class 3 days a week. Our philosophy about the primary years is that the focus should be on phonics and reading, math facts, and penmanship. Everything else becomes supplemental to those core subjects. We also believe that young students (actually all students) should be read to daily, so that is why we would recommend reading the read-aloud books daily. But we use the enrichment books only to introduce basic science and history. We do not read them word for word to our students, and sometimes we don't get to them at all. The students love having them in the classrooms and pore over the pictures, and that is as complicated as it gets. So do read aloud to your students when possible, but don't stress over science and history. Your goal for the primary years is to set the foundation for your students to be ready for the rigor of 3rd grade, and that is going to require fluent reading, writing, and math facts.

Tanya

Comment

Roger that Tanya! That clears up a lot. I was a little concerned because the literature is read 2-3 times, and the read-aloud books are 2-3 times I was beginning to sense a common thread. But...that isn't the case. Also, I'm encouraged to see that they are not read word-for-word like the read-aloud books. Thank you so much.

Comment

I send the science readers with my 2nd grader to her room. She only reads them once, unless we do an Enrichment activity where we're writing the 1 good sentence. My 5 year old is never interested, so I don't treat it like a read aloud book.

Comment

The science readers mostly get looked at, or read when they are older here as well! I had no idea pinecones close up when it rains and open up when dry! . I love having them just for this reason!
          Christine

(2018-2019)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
          DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
          DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

Yeah...I'm definitely getting more out of them. Like how Owls have ears in asymmetrical places on their face! One up high on one side, and one near the lower corner of their beak.

Comment

Working...
            X