New to MP Questions about getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MP Questions about getting started

I have recently become drawn to Memoria Press products. I have not used any yet, but I was looking to get the lit guides for my son's 3rd grade year next year. I had planned to use Writing and & Rhetoric, I hadn't really looked at what MP had for writing . I see they have Introduction to Composition for 3rd grade and it looks like it goes along with the books you use with the lit guides. I see also they have IEW. So, do you use both things for writing for 3rd grade or how does this work. I am sorry I am so clueless. I am brand new to looking at MP really, but I am really liking it. I have looked at it in years past, but for some reason never chose any curriculum from here. Thanks for the help!

Hello.

You can choose between Intro to Composition and All Things Fun and Fascinating. You don't need to do both. Intro to Comp is based on Susan Wise Bauer's Writing with Ease (narration, dictation) and the IEW program teaches key word outlining. So it's a matter of personal preference which one you would like to use. I feel like Intro to Comp would be a nice course to add to your 3rd grade literature since it integrates. Since you are just now trying out MP, I think that interconnection would be a good way to see how all our curriculum integrates to form the entire student.

Welcome!

Tanya

Comment

Hi Tanya! I was wondering, in the updated Intro to Comp, I know it aligns with the current 3rd grade books, but noticed “The Moffats” as an extra at the end. The table of contents only says “Lesson X” not which book it goes along with. Is The Moffats just additional, or is there 1book not used in Intro to Comp?
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        Hi Tanya! I was wondering, in the updated Intro to Comp, I know it aligns with the current 3rd grade books, but noticed “The Moffats” as an extra at the end. The table of contents only says “Lesson X” not which book it goes along with. Is The Moffats just additional, or is there 1book not used in Intro to Comp?
        Not Tanya, but I think I can still help! In the newest edition of Introduction to Composition, the main lessons cover our current 3rd grade literature: Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguin, and A Bear Called Paddington. The Moffats used to be part of our core, but was eventually removed. However, for those that wish to continue using The Moffats, we didn't remove all the corresponding lessons from Introduction to Composition, we just moved them to an appendix. Typically, families who add The Moffats drop Mr. Popper's Penguins and A Bear Called Paddington in order to keep the 3rd grade literature to about one academic year.

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Typically, families who add The Moffats drop Mr. Popper's Penguins and A Bear Called Paddington in order to keep the 3rd grade literature to about one academic year.

HTH!
          Thank you! That is really the question I had, but could not quite figure out how to get there. I am making plans with another family and we were deciding on selections for next year!
          Christine

(2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
          DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
          DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
          DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
          DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
          X