No announcement yet.

Why Rod and Staff math?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it helps any more...the R&S Math program doesn't need a lot of input from me. Sure, if we cover a new concept like carrying or borrowing, yes, that's going to require a full scale lesson. The teacher edition does have several extras in it. It's so intensive I'm not sure when we would find time to do the supplemental stuff anyways. So far, they've memorized all addition/subtraction facts through 13 We are just past the mid-way point for R&S 2. They are able to complete the vast majority of their assignments on their own...I get a few minutes to do the dishes. Imagine a program that teaches autonomy! And it's math. There is a confidence builder happening there. It's subtle. But they know they can open their book and mostly work through all the pages, cementing their facts in their heads. I tell you...flash cards are a heated thing now. There's strong competition happening...and now my kindergarten kiddo can even participate more because he's memorized addition facts up through 7 and he's now learning subtraction facts. It's kind of a wild west show happening and I actually have to make it a "treat" to do flashcards. They want to "win the card". It's loud, wild, competitive, and fun. Flashcards at the beginning of the year...showing them 2+3...crickets...nothing...nada. Sometimes I'd see my oldest move his finger along an imaginary number line in the air. It's as if we never opened a math book before. So this is a major win for me.
    For a class, I wouldn't hesitate to use this. It doesn't require you to hold their hands. You may have to remind them to quit zoning out....but that's kids anyways. Again...I wouldn't hesitate to use R&S2 for 1st grade. R&S 1 is really simplistic...but perfect for kindergarten. Seriously, a good chunk of the first part of the book is learning how to properly "write" the numbers, or comparing domino dots to the number. In my mind, it just seems to line up perfectly with the capabilities of a 5 year old.
    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Which math facts are taught in rod staff 1? We are just beginning at math 2 this week and I want to make sure we have the grade 1 facts solid. Does anyone have the triangles used for me to use as a guide. Thank you!
      We are so excited to begin our MP Journey!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tishp View Post
        Which math facts are taught in rod staff 1? We are just beginning at math 2 this week and I want to make sure we have the grade 1 facts solid. Does anyone have the triangles used for me to use as a guide. Thank you!
        We are so excited to begin our MP Journey!!
        The Unit 1 workbook of R&S Arithmetic 2 is a thorough albeit condensed review of R&S Arithmetic 1 facts. It's 1+0=1/1-0=1 all the way through 10's family addition & subtraction. It is possible to slow those down in MP2 to get mastery by doing all worksheets and pages inside the TM instead of doing many lessons per day and skipping some workbook pages as is scheduled. Work for automaticity and rapid recall.
        Mama to 2

Summer:
        MPK with SC1 Phonics & Math
        SY 20/21
        4A

Comment

Shawna,

I will start by saying Rod and Staff is not my pick, but is probably does work in your situation. I agree with your observation that it doesn’t have to be how vs why. They work together and both are vitally important. Kids need to understand 5 is the whole group, not the fifth thing you count. They need to know what the operations mean and what equal sign means...it doesn’t mean stick the answer here. I think they do a good job with facts, but I would like to see more strategies presented for figuring out the answer when they forget.. The 8+7 example from a previous post stuck with me....counting whether on fingers or a number line is NOT a strategy. Knowing that 8 is 5+3 and 7 is 5+2 can help them see the two fives give 10 and the 3+2 give 5 so they can figure out and see the answer in their head. Another strategy would be taking 2 from the 7 to complete the 10 with 5 extra. The students need to learn 8+7 but you can drill some of this until they are blue in the face and many will forget because they seem random or they get nervous. I have lost count of how many times people who rave about Rod and Staff complain they took time off and their kids forgot their facts. Math anxiety is a real thing and my other pet peeve with Rod and Staff are the timed speed drills. They look intimidating and are demoralizing when at the end of two minutes the haven’t finished very many. Kids in second are still learning to write and while many can be trained briefly to be that fast, the question remains why and at what cost to their confidence? Math isn’t a race.

I am a bit weird in that I look to the end of a program to see where it is going and how it gets there and do our goals and methods match. Rod and Staff as a company is concerned with teaching math to those who will be ending their education at eighth grade to run a family farm or business. They are not concerned with teaching their students how to make the connections between topics and give the understanding needed to provide a smooth transition to those interested in engineering, science, or higher math. I have used both the fifth and sixth grade books and they teach procedures well, but don’t give any additional ways to present material to those who struggle or want to know why the procedure works. Division of fractions wasn’t my first beef with the presentation, but it does stand out as a biggie. They show how to rewrite as the numerator multiplied by the reciprocal of the denominator, but never once do they explain why it works. I sit at homeschool choir and do homework with my kids between their classes and I have a chance to hear others doing the same. There is one mom who’s daughter appears to be in 4th or 5th grade. Her body language says she hates math, she clearly doesn’t get it most days, and her mother’s only option to help her through correcting her mistakes is to read the instructions again louder. Unless the person is hard of hearing, extra volume doesn’t increase understanding. It really is painful to observe.

HLS has good luck with Rod and Staff, but in many subjects there is more going on behind the scenes in the classroom than what is in the book. If you feel comfortable teaching math it should serve your purpose, just be aware that as you progress on you really should look for other ways to supplement their presentation depending on your goals. Also, after second grade there aren’t workbooks so people either write in the book or in a notebook.
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
          DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
          DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

I meant whose, not who’s...I don’t need remedial grammar, but my iPad might.
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020
            DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
            DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
            DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
            DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
            X