3rd Form Lesson XIII: Declining unus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Form Lesson XIII: Declining unus?

Calling all Latin scholars! (or at least those that remember more than I do...which may be nearly everyone... )

DD and I are working on Lesson 13 of Third Form. In Section IV, Form Drills, you're prompted to decline unus. I see in our Student Text on p. 41 that unus is declined "unus -a -um". On p. 40, a table appears directing students how to decline duo and tres. I didn't see such a table for unus. When I looked in the Teacher Key, however, unus was not declined as I thought it would be (ex: the masculine would be unus, uni, uno, unum, uno), instead, it's declined unus, unius, uni, unum, uno.....etc.

I can't find where we learned this in Third Form. Was this taught in First Form? I can't find a reference to how to decline unus in M/F/N anywhere in the Third Form Student Text, so I'm assuming this is something we learned in a prior level and I've just forgotten. I can see it in the Answer Key so can use that to review, just wondered where this information initially appeared.

Thank you -- I appreciate any pointers!
    DD 12 - MP6A

Re: 3rd Form Lesson XIII: Declining unus?

Originally posted by hermione310 View Post
    Calling all Latin scholars! (or at least those that remember more than I do...which may be nearly everyone... )

DD and I are working on Lesson 13 of Third Form. In Section IV, Form Drills, you're prompted to decline unus. I see in our Student Text on p. 41 that unus is declined "unus -a -um". On p. 40, a table appears directing students how to decline duo and tres. I didn't see such a table for unus. When I looked in the Teacher Key, however, unus was not declined as I thought it would be (ex: the masculine would be unus, uni, uno, unum, uno), instead, it's declined unus, unius, uni, unum, uno.....etc.

I can't find where we learned this in Third Form. Was this taught in First Form? I can't find a reference to how to decline unus in M/F/N anywhere in the Third Form Student Text, so I'm assuming this is something we learned in a prior level and I've just forgotten. I can see it in the Answer Key so can use that to review, just wondered where this information initially appeared.

Thank you -- I appreciate any pointers!
    Good afternoon,

Unus is one of the "naughty nine" adjectives that were taught in Lesson X. These adjectives are irregular in the genitive singular (-i) and dative singular (-íus) but regular in the other forms.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Good afternoon,

Unus is one of the "naughty nine" adjectives that were taught in Lesson X. These adjectives are irregular in the genitive singular (-i) and dative singular (-íus) but regular in the other forms.

HTH!
      Thank you for the quick (and humbling) response! Hmm.....clearly we both need more review on the Naughty Nine!

Thanks again.
      DD 12 - MP6A

Comment

Don’t worry. You aren’t the only one who forgot this at the same point you are. I think it never really clicked when doing naughty nine that the “unus” we memorized was the actual number one. I couldn’t figure out why the book told me how to decline two and three but not one when one was obviously irregular (based on answer key). We finally figured it out, but yeah, you are certainly not alone.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 25, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 23, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 21, chemistry major
        DS, 18, Physics major
        DD, 15, dyslexic, 10th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 12, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 7A
        DD, 6 , K- finally one who seems to like drawing and writing- first one since my oldest!

Comment

Working...
        X