X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireweed Prep
    started a topic 4 days a week/all year school schedule

4 days a week/all year school schedule

Do any other families do school 4 days a week, but more months per year? I don't mean squeezing five days into four; I mean doing Monday through Thursday, then doing "Friday" work the following Monday and continuing on from there. I really need a day for cooking and baking (I follow AIP for chronic health problems) and they'd love a day to just play. We are usually busy on the weekends doing family outings/recreation things/church. I am concerned though about continual three day weekends impeding their retention of information. I'm thinking of doing "Flashcard Friday" to quickly review Latin, recitation, math, PreK/K phonics and letters stuff, etc. And of course I read aloud to them each evening. I'd love insight!

• enbateau
    replied
    We're in MP2 right now, and I agree that Friday is mostly review. Often, the math will be some blackline drills because the fact family has been exhausted in 4 days, and it gives you one more chance to throw all that new knowledge together with older facts. With the lit guides, sometimes they give that 5th day for Honors Activities, extra discussion, or even finishing out a chapter stretched out over 2 days. We do Latin tests (not quizes) and Spelling tests on Fridays. Although w/ 3A, they move the Latin weekly quizes to Thursdays and cumulative review to Friday. Having done a few unit tests for PL now, I understand why going over ALL the material you've learned before a test can be confusing. Just last Friday, I was asking my MP2-er to recall The Sanctus and The Doxology. It really messed with her ability to cement the Table Blessing, which was newer. It makes me appreciate MP all the more that they've thought of these things.

Leave a comment:

• Fireweed Prep
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    One thing you will notice about the Memoria Press Curriculum Manuals is that Fridays, especially in the primary grades, consist of mostly review, quizzes and tests which can easily be moved to an alternate day, typically Monday or Friday, . This lends itself nicely to the four day program you are considering. Our classrooms in 3-12 are all 4 day programs so the model has been tested and proven successful at all levels.
    So are you saying that, essentially, Friday is set up as a review day, and I wouldn't need to do my own Friday Review day, and then do "Friday per the manual" on Monday? I can juts follow Friday as is written and it will be the much shorter review type day I'm looking for? I don't have the full curriculum manual as we cobble together and finish out second grade, but I will getting it in conjunction with the entire CC3! I will also have a Kindergartener next year.

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied
    That is what we have often done by happenstance! It can be so hard to keep up with everyone and everything, that most weeks, for many years now, we can honestly say we have put in four solid days of school, and then had to take up at least one day of the week with check-ups, errands that can’t wait, something tied to moving or babies (we usually have had one or the other going on!), or even simply keeping up on housework!

My running mantra is - do the next day - in each subject. And we just keep going. Sometimes we strive to truly finish a subject, so it drags on into the summer, while there are also those things that I judge when we have done enough and can simply be done.

There is definitely that flexibility with MP - mostly because of the core guides/lesson plans! You always know where you are, and what comes next, regardless of the day or date.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    One thing you will notice about the Memoria Press Curriculum Manuals is that Fridays, especially in the primary grades, consist of mostly review, quizzes and tests which can easily be moved to an alternate day, typically Monday or Friday, . This lends itself nicely to the four day program you are considering. Our classrooms in 3-12 are all 4 day programs so the model has been tested and proven successful at all levels.

Leave a comment:

• LindsayR
    replied
    I have been wondering about this as well. This is what I plan to do next year. Next year will be our first school year using MP, but we attend a weekly co-op so we will be completing MP coursework 4 days/week instead of 5. I hope others have some insight as to how this works for their family.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X