Late to the party but switching to MP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late to the party but switching to MP

Hello. I’ve looked at MP several times over the years and just never quite made the leap. My oldest has graduated and I now have a 10th grade dd and a 4th grade ds. I am definitely switching to MP for my son who is a 4th grader - I am not sure about my dd. I’m just not sure if that big of a change in 10th grade would work out. We’ve had a move and have not done much school since Thanksgiving. Because we’ve not done much, we will be schooling all through the summer. I’m planning to purchase 4th grade (in February) for him to work through between February and next fall - it looks like it will work out timing wise since we’re going through the summer. He loves Horizon math, so we won’t be changing that. I’ve been using IEW for spelling, composition, and grammar. I am on the fence about whether or not to switch that to MP. He is finishing up Prima Latina this month. Science is another area about which I’m on the fence. I’ve been using Apologia but I don’t love it, in fact I really don’t like it. I’m not sure whether I should go with MP’s science or use Real Science for Kids. We will also supplement with Catholic religious studies. I’m thinking he will be set for starting MP 5th grade in the fall. I would love anyone’s input on those subjects about which I’m on the fence and input on the overall plan. Thanks!
    Blessings,
    Tammy (new to MP)
    ds, 20 (graduated)
    dd, 16
    ds, 9

Tammy,
    I gave you some of my thoughts for your tenth grader on a thread over on the 9-12 board.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Hi Tammy! Welcome aboard!

I'll only comment on your rising 5th grader, as I'm sure Jessica and the other expert high school moms have taken good care of you over in the 9-12 section. :-)

I came to MP several years ago after putting together my own curriculum and, now that we've spent some time immersed in full cores, I am seeing the fruits of those early labors and I am really glad we took the plunge.

I used Real Science 4 Kids and liked it...until we bumped up against a lot of concepts and ideas that my kids weren't ready, either with regard to abstract thinking or math/conceptual skills, to tackle. They were left with more questions than answers. I used Apologia for about half a semester and then got frustrated. *weary laugh* This is not to say that Apologia or RS4K are necessarily *bad*; rather, I felt as though each was lacking in different ways. With Apologia, I felt as though we got a lot of scriptural support but not enough meaty science information. With RS4K, we were introducing concepts on a rather superficial level but couldn't follow through.

Now, fast forward to MP science... The curriculum takes a macro- to micro- approach. That is, children learn about the flora, fauna, and celestial bodies around them in their whole form, as God created them - mammals, astronomy, insects, birds, trees. We study the stars and constellations, leaving the chemistry and physics involved for high school - when children have built up their abstract thinking skills. They learn to admire and stand in wonder of the beauty of what surrounds them before hacking it all apart to discover more at the cellular or molecular level. Biology and chemistry and physics are absolutely important, but in order for students to truly appreciate both living and nonliving creations at the micro level, it is vitally important that they understand the beauty and complexity of those things in their intact state. It is also extremely important for those students to have the abstract and conceptual math skills in order to understand the material presented and to formulate thoughtful, in-depth questions that allow them to fully absorb what they're learning.

When a student has spent time marveling at these creations, s/he has a greater appreciation, then, for those same creations when viewing them from through the lens of biology or chemistry. It is truly amazing (and I mean that in the way the word was intended to be used - not in the throwaway manner in which we toss it around to describe peanut butter or running shoes) to watch a child come away from an earth science lesson and tie it into their astronomy lessons from years prior. Personally, I can't wait to see this all over again when biology hits next year.

As for religious studies, we did use the entire Christian Studies program (still using now) and also added in our own faith-based study. The CS program is nice because it is a thorough, systematic overview of the people and places of the bible. That, coupled with following the liturgical year and adding in our own specific faith-based study has provided a very well-rounded Christian Studies program in our house.

I'm really excited for you! I sincerely hope you love MP as much all of us here do!
      Last edited by Mary; 01-18-2019, 02:44 PM. Reason: I make a lot of mistakes when I type quickly. *haha!*
      Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
      DS12 - 7th core
      DD8 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

You're going to love it. Now, I will say that it requires more finagling to piece other curricula into MP b/c MP is perfectly balanced. Without knowing how encompassing other curricula are, you could wind up running yourself ragged with too much work to do. That's how I started (trying to sub out math, science, phonics/spelling and CS, and I just couldn't figure out how anyone would get it all done. When you pick the most exhaustive math, the most exhaustive phonics only, spelling only, and devotional/Bible Study, and complete science curriculum with experiments, lapbooking, narration, tests, and projects...one of them will eat up your week and make you dread it. But MP's math, spelling, Christian Studies, Science, etc, are all just the right time requirements to keep it flowing smoothly. The beauty of the cohesive CORE is that you can only teach a subject one day a week, but keep the review on a daily basis to 5-10 min/day--the important key elements. MP4NU (for New Users) is probably a great place to start. It cements the core body of knowledge that the student will build on in the upper grades. Trust me. I put my hands on every Tiner Science book and looked through almost every book my daughter will progress through after MP3, and I'm so impressed.

I went to an MP conference where I could get that bird's eye view of the end game, and it makes so much sense. After teaching MP for almost a year, I appreciate how it all comes together, how it never lingers when it isn't going there later, how it briefly brushes on a topic twice before it lays it down eloquently. I cannot imagine using a different program from almost anything they include because we will be reading through an enrichment history book and see Latin derivatives we learned 3 weeks prior. It didn't introduce it the same week she was learning it, rather once it became cemented in her memory. Then, we'd read about a topic like aviation we had briefly explored the year before and again at the beginning of the year. Her understanding of that topic is exponentially increased. I would especially not count out Astronomy in 4NU, States and Capitals, etc. It is so fun for kids to have a working knowledge of the cosmos, the heavens, which declare the glory of our Lord. Constellations get a mention in literally thousands of literary works (from Shakespeare to Homer) and paintings by the Masters.

Mama to 2, Married 17 years

SY 19/20
        DD 8-3A
        DS 5-SC C

Comment

Hi Tammy,
          Welcome! I'm new to MP as well. This is our first year with a full core. My boys and 11 and 10 and we're doing grade 4. I love reading these responses and insights from the experienced moms. You are in good hands with MP and this forum!
          Monica

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
            Tammy,
            I gave you some of my thoughts for your tenth grader on a thread over on the 9-12 board.
            Thank you so much! I am heading over to read them!
            Blessings,
            Tammy (new to MP)
            ds, 20 (graduated)
            dd, 16
            ds, 9

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
              Hi Tammy! Welcome aboard!

I'll only comment on your rising 5th grader, as I'm sure Jessica and the other expert high school moms have taken good care of you over in the 9-12 section. :-)

I came to MP several years ago after putting together my own curriculum and, now that we've spent some time immersed in full cores, I am seeing the fruits of those early labors and I am really glad we took the plunge.

I used Real Science 4 Kids and liked it...until we bumped up against a lot of concepts and ideas that my kids weren't ready, either with regard to abstract thinking or math/conceptual skills, to tackle. They were left with more questions than answers. I used Apologia for about half a semester and then got frustrated. *weary laugh* This is not to say that Apologia or RS4K are necessarily *bad*; rather, I felt as though each was lacking in different ways. With Apologia, I felt as though we got a lot of scriptural support but not enough meaty science information. With RS4K, we were introducing concepts on a rather superficial level but couldn't follow through. Thank you so much for this! That is exactly my feeling about Apologia and is why I was looking at RS4K, which seemed as different as night and day!

Now, fast forward to MP science... The curriculum takes a macro- to micro- approach. That is, children learn about the flora, fauna, and celestial bodies around them in their whole form, as God created them - mammals, astronomy, insects, birds, trees. We study the stars and constellations, leaving the chemistry and physics involved for high school - when children have built up their abstract thinking skills. They learn to admire and stand in wonder of the beauty of what surrounds them before hacking it all apart to discover more at the cellular or molecular level. Biology and chemistry and physics are absolutely important, but in order for students to truly appreciate both living and nonliving creations at the micro level, it is vitally important that they understand the beauty and complexity of those things in their intact state. It is also extremely important for those students to have the abstract and conceptual math skills in order to understand the material presented and to formulate thoughtful, in-depth questions that allow them to fully absorb what they're learning. I very much appreciate this perspective. Thank you!

When a student has spent time marveling at these creations, s/he has a greater appreciation, then, for those same creations when viewing them from through the lens of biology or chemistry. It is truly amazing (and I mean that in the way the word was intended to be used - not in the throwaway manner in which we toss it around to describe peanut butter or running shoes) to watch a child come away from an earth science lesson and tie it into their astronomy lessons from years prior. Personally, I can't wait to see this all over again when biology hits next year.

As for religious studies, we did use the entire Christian Studies program (still using now) and also added in our own faith-based study. The CS program is nice because it is a thorough, systematic overview of the people and places of the bible. That, coupled with following the liturgical year and adding in our own specific faith-based study has provided a very well-rounded Christian Studies program in our house. I wondered if the CS program would be too much with our own Catholic studies. It sounds like it will be very doable!

I'm really excited for you! I sincerely hope you love MP as much all of us here do!
              Thank you so much! I am looking forward to getting going! I think we're going to go full Core for 4th grade and see how it goes.
              Blessings,
              Tammy (new to MP)
              ds, 20 (graduated)
              dd, 16
              ds, 9

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
                You're going to love it. Now, I will say that it requires more finagling to piece other curricula into MP b/c MP is perfectly balanced. Without knowing how encompassing other curricula are, you could wind up running yourself ragged with too much work to do. That's how I started (trying to sub out math, science, phonics/spelling and CS, and I just couldn't figure out how anyone would get it all done. When you pick the most exhaustive math, the most exhaustive phonics only, spelling only, and devotional/Bible Study, and complete science curriculum with experiments, lapbooking, narration, tests, and projects...one of them will eat up your week and make you dread it. But MP's math, spelling, Christian Studies, Science, etc, are all just the right time requirements to keep it flowing smoothly. The beauty of the cohesive CORE is that you can only teach a subject one day a week, but keep the review on a daily basis to 5-10 min/day--the important key elements. MP4NU (for New Users) is probably a great place to start. It cements the core body of knowledge that the student will build on in the upper grades. Trust me. I put my hands on every Tiner Science book and looked through almost every book my daughter will progress through after MP3, and I'm so impressed. Thank you so much for this perspective. I am very much feeling this way now and that is even before adding in MP.

I went to an MP conference where I could get that bird's eye view of the end game, and it makes so much sense. After teaching MP for almost a year, I appreciate how it all comes together, how it never lingers when it isn't going there later, how it briefly brushes on a topic twice before it lays it down eloquently. I cannot imagine using a different program from almost anything they include because we will be reading through an enrichment history book and see Latin derivatives we learned 3 weeks prior. It didn't introduce it the same week she was learning it, rather once it became cemented in her memory. Then, we'd read about a topic like aviation we had briefly explored the year before and again at the beginning of the year. Her understanding of that topic is exponentially increased. I would especially not count out Astronomy in 4NU, States and Capitals, etc. It is so fun for kids to have a working knowledge of the cosmos, the heavens, which declare the glory of our Lord. Constellations get a mention in literally thousands of literary works (from Shakespeare to Homer) and paintings by the Masters.
                Thank you so much for taking the time to share these thoughts. They are things I had not considered! I think we are going to go ahead and do MP4 for new users and see how it goes!
                Blessings,
                Tammy (new to MP)
                ds, 20 (graduated)
                dd, 16
                ds, 9

Comment

Originally posted by KikaMarie View Post
                  Hi Tammy,
                  Welcome! I'm new to MP as well. This is our first year with a full core. My boys and 11 and 10 and we're doing grade 4. I love reading these responses and insights from the experienced moms. You are in good hands with MP and this forum!
                  Monica
                  Thank you so much! I am getting really excited about it now!
                  Blessings,
                  Tammy (new to MP)
                  ds, 20 (graduated)
                  dd, 16
                  ds, 9

Comment

Working...
                  X