Greek Myths question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Myths question

In the D’Aulaires Greek myths study guide, in the review of lessons 1-5 it lists Aphrodite as a child of Zeus. However on page 30 of the D’Aulaires book it says Aphrodite was the only Olympian to have neither a father or mother. This seems conflicting. Is there more to the story than D’Aulaires presents?

TIA!
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Hello.

This is a mistake in the D'Aulaires' study guide that we need to correct. Thanks for pointing it out. These myths have different origins, and the D'Aulaires' book does state that Aphrodite did not have parents. Homer, on the other hand, says that Aphrodite is the daughter of Zeus, so he took his mythology from a different origin. So, yes, there is more to the story than D'Aulaires presents, but our study guide needs to match the D'Aulaires' text, so we will get that fixed in the next reprinting. We appreciate your pointing it out to us!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you Tanya! When we ran across it, I was confused because I thought I had remembered Homer’s version but not clearly enough to know the source. Thanks for clarifying!
      Heidi

2018-19
      dd- 3m
      ds- SC 1
      dd- SC B

Comment

Well, Michael deserves the credit for the clarification. I didn't know that Homer's version was different - or why! Michael is the classically educated one. Thought I should give him his due ...

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X