Latina Christiana Lesson Plans question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latina Christiana Lesson Plans question

I just started the 2 year pace Latina Christiana lesson plans (but we'll be going 4 days a week to finish in 3 semesters!). I don't have the DVD.

The lesson plans segment each weekly lesson so you're doing the exerises along with a new part of the lesson each day. So day 1 is teach Saying and Vocab with Vocab Drill 1. Day 2 is review vocab, Vocab Drill 2 with Vocab exercises. Day 3 is teach Grammar part of the lesson and do related exercises. Day 4 is teach derivatives and do related exercises. Day 5/6 is the quiz with puzzles and review.

My question: how are the kids supposed to learn the Grammar well enough to be quizzed on it 2 days later? I searched through the forms for other LC posts, and many of you seem to be watching the DVD on Mondays which teaches the Entire lesson, giving plenty of time for studying it all before the quiz. (Which is how I did PL, but also w/o the DVD)

So what's up with this rhythm? What am I missing?

Also, is the Vocab Drill dictated or just copied? There's one day that has drill and dictation listed, and that confused me

Thanks for the help!
    ~ Carrie
    Catholic mom to four - ages 9, 7, 5, and 2
    6th year homeschooling, 1st year MP!
    Using 4th for New Users

Originally posted by carriede View Post
    I just started the 2 year pace Latina Christiana lesson plans (but we'll be going 4 days a week to finish in 3 semesters!). I don't have the DVD.

The lesson plans segment each weekly lesson so you're doing the exerises along with a new part of the lesson each day. So day 1 is teach Saying and Vocab with Vocab Drill 1. Day 2 is review vocab, Vocab Drill 2 with Vocab exercises. Day 3 is teach Grammar part of the lesson and do related exercises. Day 4 is teach derivatives and do related exercises. Day 5/6 is the quiz with puzzles and review.

My question: how are the kids supposed to learn the Grammar well enough to be quizzed on it 2 days later? I searched through the forms for other LC posts, and many of you seem to be watching the DVD on Mondays which teaches the Entire lesson, giving plenty of time for studying it all before the quiz. (Which is how I did PL, but also w/o the DVD)

So what's up with this rhythm? What am I missing?

Also, is the Vocab Drill dictated or just copied? There's one day that has drill and dictation listed, and that confused me

Thanks for the help!
    Good afternoon Carrie,

No, we do not expect students to master the new grammar form in two days! The six days referred to in the front of the lesson plans are the six days with a formal assignment. These six days are not consecutive, but rather spread over the course of two weeks. For example, students learn Lesson 2's new grammar form on Friday of Week 3 ("Day 3"). They are not quizzed until Wednesday of Week 4 ("Day 5," which is actually five calendar days after "Day 3"). In your case, you're accelerating the pace, so you will need to teach some content earlier than it is scheduled in our lesson plans.

For the "Vocabulary dictation," the teacher says the words aloud and the students write them in a notebook. See the 4th bullet under "Day 4" in the guidelines in the front of the lesson plans.

For the "Vocabulary Drill Sheet," the student is listening to the CD and then writing the words, initially by copying from the book but, in the case of grammar forms, hopefully from memory as soon as he is able. Detailed instructions are found on p. 5 of the Latina Christiana Teacher Manual.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Ok, that makes since. I'll move the teaching around to get some more drill time in.

re: drill vs dictation - I had been dictating the Vocab Drills myself instead of using the CD, which is why the dictation seemed redundant. It's easier for me, logistics wise, to read it myself instead of using the CD each day. I'll just skip over the extra specified dictation then.

Thanks for your help!
      ~ Carrie
      Using 4th for New Users

Comment

I don't know if it is helpful, but I had to modify the two year pace for my dyslexic 5th-grade daughter. The lesson plans I purchased did not give her enough practice, and I thought I might be able to better spread the extra workbooks.

I have "copy and pasted" her assignment checklist for Lesson 6 below. (the other lessons follow the same pattern.) This seems to give her enough practice.

Day 1:
        Watch DVD Lesson VI (I watch the DVD with her and make sure she doesn't daydream. I make her stand up for recitation and pause to answer every question etc.)
        Daily spelling practice (Saying, vocab, grammar)*

Day 2:
        Listen to CD track 12
        Recitation with mama**
        Daily spelling practice (Saying, vocab, grammar)*
        Ludere Latine:
        Lesson 6 Word search
        Lesson 6 parse string
        Have mama check/mark, then correct

Day 3:
        Listen to CD Track 12
        Recitation with mama
        Daily Spelling Practice (Saying, Vocab, Grammar)*
        Exercises

Day 4:
        Listen to CD Track 12
        Recitation
        Daily Spelling Practice (Saying, Vocab, Grammar)
        Ludere Latine:
        Lesson 6 Derivative Crossword

Day 5:
        Listen to CD Track 12
        Recitation
        Review lesson by re-watching the DVD or have mama reteach
        Latina Christiana review worksheets:
        Latin Review, Lesson 1-6

Day 6:
        Listen to CD Track 12
        Recitation
        Ludere Latine:
        Lesson 6 Grammar Crossword

Day 7:
        Listen to CD Track 12
        Recitation
        Daily Spelling Pracitce (Saying, Vocab, Grammar)
        Pre-Quiz until 100% (Use this as a tool to see what you know and don't know. Study the information that still needs more work.)***
        Drill and Practice with Mama****

Day 8:
        Listen to CD Track 12
        Recitation
        Quiz
        Flashcards*****

-------------
        *Daily Spelling Practice: I made homemade worksheets for each lesson using the Zaner Bloser handwriting tool. She is supposed to first trace the word while she says each letter and then read the word "example: H-i-s-p-a-n-i-a- -a-e "Hispania, Hispaniae", then copy the word on the line next to it while she says each letter and reads the word. Then cover the word, write the word while she says each letter and then reads the word, and then check and correct. She does this one word at a time.

**Recitation with mama: It is her job to track me down and make me sit down and do recitation. School is not over for her unless this happens and she can check the box off. Otherwise, recitation gets skipped because I am multitasking between many kids. I conduct this just like the teachers manual. She stands, we pray and sing along to the song, and then we recite all grammar learned up to this point. I also have her recite all vocabulary too though. Any word that she can't remember, I give her derivative hints. I have found that being dyslexic, she needs more frequent vocabulary review than a typical learner.

*** Pre-Quiz: I actually printed out copies of the quizzes for each lesson and let her try to complete it with the book closed. I do not feel too bad about it since it is basically every vocab word, the grammar, and the saying.

****Drill and Practice with Mama: This comes straight out of the teacher's guide at the bottom of the page.

*****Flashcards: You will notice we only do this once per lesson, that is because I have found for my daughter reading through the vocab during recitation seems to be more effective.

We have a similar routine for each review lesson / test.
        Cathy aka The Attached Mama
        2018-2019
        DS 12, 6th Grade---MP 5M, IEW, Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Kolbe Physical Science, Speech Team
        DD 10, 5th Grade---MP 4M, IEW, Latina Christiana (two-year pace), Spelling Plus, AOPS Pre-Algebra, MathCounts, Elemental Biology II, Speech Team
        DS 4 (almost 5)--MP Junior kindergarten, Myself and Others, "I See Sam" Readers, Singapore/Rightstart Math
        (Now we will watch as I start subtracting subjects off my signature. ha!)

Comment

Thank you, Cathy, for your plans! It helps to see it laid out differently.
          ~ Carrie
          Using 4th for New Users

Comment

Working...
          X