Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Gifts worth giving; gifts worth having...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    DiannaKennedy oMG yes the kitchen shears with the chain! I've actually decided to get the oldest his own shears. He's constantly running off with mine to work on his cardboard creations. That and as big of a package of glue sticks as I can find. Ha!
    My latest kitchen shears were wonderful. And honestly, they came from Kroger.

But, they disappeared. So I'm completely serious about the chain. And I'm about ready to lock up my coffee frother, too.
    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

We always freshen up the art supplies at Christmas.

Currently, our family is hooked on jigsaw puzzles, so I see a few more of those on the list.

Legos are always on the lists.

Possibly a dog or two ??! I don’t know. We all want one (or two), but can’t decide what kind and if it’ll be a working dog or a snuggly pet. After agreeing to an outside farm cat over the summer, we ended up with three! One of my daughters is begging for a horse (nope), my youngest girls want goats (maybe), and Id love to have some ducks and a few sheep. E I E I O ?

My son wants more instruments, supplies to build a bike camper, and a trail bike.

DiannaKennedy Cutco scissors!! But yes, chain them! They will cut forever. I’ve had my pair since I was 20 (I sold Cutco for 2 weeks..) My plan was to get husband a larger gun safe for Christmas and then he came home with one last week. Sigh. Apparently the deal was just too good to pass up. I may have had a bit of a meltdown about our unfinished stairs which have been bare since we moved in and ripped off the carpet..2.5 years ago! So that’s what I’ve asked for and we started yesterday. Yay!
      Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

Katie avoid ducks. They are a stinky, wet, sloppy mess. All. the. time. They have to clear their nostrils after eating, so it's like a kid blowing bubbles into their drink with food in their mouth. Ugh. Just sayin....chickens are way better. I love chickens. Chickens lay way more eggs, so they earn their keep better.
        DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
        DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
        DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

My latest kitchen shears were wonderful. And honestly, they came from Kroger.

But, they disappeared. So I'm completely serious about the chain. And I'm about ready to lock up my coffee frother, too.
          I find that a thin bike cable works really well for this, lol. Done it at home and a work.
          Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (17) Graduated!
          Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

DD:
            Durango lady rebel boots for my horse girl. She works at a stable and needs new work boots.

Horse stationary and notepads from Leaning Tree

Spurs

ski goggles/gator

DS:
            A new Cobi

spikeball

ski goggles/gator

bluetooth speaker

Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
            ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post

I find that a thin bike cable works really well for this, lol. Done it at home and a work.
              Do you have a picture? I need to visualize it, so I can tell my husband.
              Plans for 2022-23

DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa Burke View Post
                DD:
                Durango lady rebel boots for my horse girl. She works at a stable and needs new work boots.

Horse stationary and notepads from Leaning Tree

Spurs

ski goggles/gator

DS:
                A new Cobi

spikeball

ski goggles/gator

bluetooth speaker

I expect you need to be dropping a link to that horse stationary. Horse young lady here, too.

Rachel wears Muck Boots (the brand) to the barn for working. Waterproof, good arch support, etc. They usually have some good BF sales. They have a winter version too -- but R just layers up her socks and she's fine. She prefers the tall boots, to not get stuck in mud, etc.

And .... what's a spikeball?
                Plans for 2022-23

Comment

I expect you need to be dropping a link to that horse stationary. Horse young lady here, too.

Rachel wears Muck Boots (the brand) to the barn for working. Waterproof, good arch support, etc. They usually have some good BF sales. They have a winter version too -- but R just layers up her socks and she's fine. She prefers the tall boots, to not get stuck in mud, etc.

And .... what's a spikeball?
                  https://www.leanintree.com/Browse.as...1&search=horse

Dianna,

Above is a link to Leanin Tree. They have a ton of horse paper products. I also bought Caitlin the 2020 wall calendar that they sell and some horsey Christmas cards to send to her friends.

Here is also a link for spikeball. It is a VERY high energy game that I think my teens are going to love playing with their friends.

https://www.amazon.com/Spikeball-Bal...6234345&sr=8-5

Thanks for the info about Muck Boots. Caitlin prefers the workb oots that are more like her riding boots. She doesn't have to spend anytime in the muck. She is shoveling indoor stalls and has a gravel path to the manure pile. She also spends quite a bit of time lunching horses so she likes the Durangos for that. I love Muck Boots because we have plenty of "muck" on our farm.

Melisa

Homeschooling mom for 11 years

dd - 11th grade using MP
                  ds - 9th grade using MP and Kolbe Academy

Comment

My girl is a tea enthusiast so for her birthday a few days ago she got a Japanese cast iron tea pot and another tea cup for her growing collection - I bought everything at HomeGoods/TJ Maxx, but those tea pots are found online, too, and they would be a wonderful Christmas gift. For Christmas I've bought her a pretty Vera Bradley bag at Marshalls, and a Christmas-themed baking set at HomeGoods (bowl, spatula, whisk, and a couple of cookie cutters). I bought a set of FAO Schwartz bumper cars for my youngest, and a mug with cars on it. For my oldest so far I've only found a mug with the periodic table on it - he's a bit obsessed with it, and he'll love it. He's a bike nut right now, and just got a road bike for his birthday, so we may add something bike-related for Christmas too: he's working on his Trail Life biking badge and he'll have to have a 50-mile ride, so he's going to need to be equipped for it. I'll take a look at the Spikeball game - I like to have something collective every year - thank you Melisa Burke for the idea! Everyone will have stockings filled with sweets and a tiny gift if I can find it. Those three stores (HomeGoods, Marshalls, and TJ) are life-savers for me: I'm always finding great gifts.
                    DS (16)
                    DD (15)
                    DS (7)

Comment

Do you have a picture? I need to visualize it, so I can tell my husband.
                      This one is attached to a table leg at work (university library).

When all the kids were home I had a combination bike lock that held all the tape (masking/ duct/ packing). I attached it through two hardware eyes so the tape dispensed like an under cupboard paper towel dispenser.

My hubby buys and sells antiques so he buys things at auctions. There’s always $5 piles of office supplies. I think I have 20 pairs if scissors and a lifetime supply of highlighters, lol.
                      Attached Files
                      Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (17) Graduated!
                      Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

I always love rereading this thread! Plus, I'll take reviews from you folks over 5 stars on Amazon any day!

A few things my crew have asked for this year:

DS, 16: electric guitar pedals/cords/etc., gaiter, thin wallet (driving!), paracord...
                        DD, 14: mostly wants cold hard cash ?‍♀️ saving up for club volleyball next year. Fitness Blender subscription (online coached workouts)
                        DD, 12: Bike basket, little earrings, Journey Girls (faux American Girl doll) and clothes, mini sewing machine, air-dry clay, book shelf you mount on the bed frame (BedShelfie)
                        DS, 9: pinblocks (again), new game for our very, very old Wii. he may get a low-end telescope and a Dude Perfect T-shirt.

They are all getting used books from our local reseller, McKay's Used. I comb through the "Literature" section looking for high quality bindings and go from there. I'm always on the hunt for leather bound (esp. Easton Press) and other nice bindings.

I was talking with a friend of high school seniors yesterday and she mentioned that her kids have started asking for a copy of XYZ books from the family library because they've realized they are going to need their OWN copy soon when they move out. So, library building is always a win.

Me: I've asked for pie baking things, some prints from a local artist (https://littlethingsstudio.com/) of hymns that are special to me...really I want more books, but need to slow that train down. Ha!
                        Hubs: DO NOT TELL. https://establishedtitles.com/produc...ple-title-pack Got this for a song on Black Friday. Still very low prices tonight for Cyber Monday compared to normal. DO NOT TELL. This is a secret. Maybe I'll be updating my signature line after Christmas? ? Enigma Do you know about this?
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
                        DS Hillsdale College freshman
                        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
                        DD 8th • HLN & Home
                        DS 5th • HLN & Home
                        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
                        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

I was talking with a friend of high school seniors yesterday and she mentioned that her kids have started asking for a copy of XYZ books from the family library because they've realized they are going to need their OWN copy soon when they move out. So, library building is always a win.
                          This is why I don't worry when I inevitably and unintentionally acquire second copies - with three kids, I should work on acquiring even more!
                          DS (16)
                          DD (15)
                          DS (7)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post

This is why I don't worry when I inevitably and unintentionally acquire second copies - with three kids, I should work on acquiring even more!
                            Exactly! And this is why I always try to buy each kid their own books for Literature class when I can afford to do so. This is a great way to slowly build a little take-with-you library. My 11th grader has a really beautiful collection (dreamy sigh!) and I credit that completely to his MP literature reading since 3rd grade. Thank you, MP!
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                            DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Who is it with the husband with the Easton Press collection--is that you, Anita ? I remember talking about this long ago. I've started looking for used Easton copies to give as graduation gifts. The last one I bought shipped from Alaska. ?
                              Festina lentē,
                              Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                              DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                                Who is it with the husband with the Easton Press collection--is that you, Anita ? I remember talking about this long ago. I've started looking for used Easton copies to give as graduation gifts. The last one I bought shipped from Alaska. ?
                                Yep! That was me. ?
                                Easton Press or Folio Society. Both are spectacular. Buy them new (for a pretty new penny) or used (with one you’ve had in your pocket awhile).
                                “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
                                ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                                Wonder Boy 14 ... MP5 + R&S Math 6
                                Joy Bubble 12 ... MP5 full core
                                Cowboy 10 ... MP5 + R&S Math 4
                                Sassafras 6 ... MP1
                                All … SSPX Catechesis

Comment

Working...
                                X