Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Good morning and Happy New Year!

I have been "stalking" the forum to glean as much helpful information as I can before we dive into MP for the first time in the next couple of weeks, so I feel like I "know" many of you. I really appreciate how active this forum is and how many of you jump in to help answer questions and resolve dilemmas.

I am not new to homeschooling or education. I've graduated 2 students who I homeschooled all the way through. I have 3 more at home: a son in 11th, another son in 8th and a daughter in 5th. We have always homeschooled and I taught school before kids (using Abeka).
    I used Abeka to homeschool for awhile, but got overwhelmed with it when my oldest 2 were around 4th grade, so we started doing more Charlotte Mason style homeschool. While I never completely left my traditional roots, I bought into the idea that exposure and allowing kids to make their own connections with the content was enough. Fast forward 9-10 years later, and the fruits of that are not what I'd hoped/expected.

I am planning to use much of the 5th grade core with my 5th and 8th grader. Let's just say my 8th and 11th grade boys would have benefited from Simply Classical had it been around when they were younger.

I am also excited to be going to the Winter Regional Conference tomorrow. It seemed Providential that this conference is being offered right when I needed it at a time when my husband is off and can be at home while I'm gone. I hope to meet others from the Upstate area who are using MP, as we recently moved to this area and don't know many homeschoolers.

I look forward to "talking" with you all this coming semester, as I'm sure I'll be back for help and encouragement.

Welcome, RuthAnn! I hope you have a lovely time at the winter conference. I know my friend Melanie will be there!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

Hi Ruth Ann! I look forward to meeting you tomorrow. I am coming from northern Maryland.
      Melanie
      2018-2019 ~ 5th MP year; 10th year homeschooling
      using most of 9th, 7th, and 4th grade cores

Comment

Hello and welcome!

I hope you share your experience from the conference - it would have been lovely to have been able to attend and I would love to hear your thoughts on it, too!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2018-2019
        DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
        DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          Hello and welcome!

I hope you share your experience from the conference - it would have been lovely to have been able to attend and I would love to hear your thoughts on it, too!

AMDG,
          Sarah
          Yes please! I'd love a report from the conference. I looked at it a couple ways and simply couldn't make this one work.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
          Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
          DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
          www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

Thank you for the welcomes! I'll try to take good notes, so I can share the hilights from the conference.

Comment

Welcome! I’m a fellow new-to-MP mom. We also came from a CM style, and as my kids stared to get older (now 7th and 5th grades), I realized we were not happy with the outcome and decided to totally switch. Mid year no less lol. We start our new path on Monday, and we’re so so excited!!

Happy to meet you - this forum is a treasure trove of wisdom. Ive been digging back into old threads and there’s so much experience and knowledge to glean on here.
              New MP Mama - late to the party, starting in middle school! :cool:

DS13: MP Charter Edition: FFL, FMOG, CC Fable/Narrative, FSFrench, Poetry for Grammar Stage, Book of Insects, 7th Grade Lit studies

DD10: MP Charter Edition: Grammar School Latin, FMOR, FSFrench, Poetry for the Grammar Stage, Book of Trees, 5th Grade Lit studies

[url]www.upabovetherowantree.com[/url]

Comment

I'm new here, too, and we are switching over some of our stuff mid year, too! That's awesome you get to go to the winter conference. I'm already looking forward to Sodalitas in the summer!
                DD1: elements of CC 2 to prep us for third grade in the fall!
                DD2: Jr. K
                DS 1: preschool bibliophile
                Me: Coastie wife who misses Alaska, follows the Autoimmune Protocol, and prays for hope amidst the rush the life

Comment

Welcome to MP! I have also learned so much in these boards, and appreciate the welcoming and helpful atmosphere here. I dream of being able to go to a conference. Praying I can make it work someday. I hope you enjoy the time.
                  Emily J

2018-2019 School Year
                  DD (11)-MP 5 core
                  DD (9)-SC 4
                  DD (8)-MP 2 core
                  DS (6)-SC B

*Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task but you will succeed if you persevere: and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to obtain something beautiful is ever lost. ~Helen Keller*

Comment

Hey, RuthAnn! I had the pleasure of meeting you at the Winter Regional Conference! You are beautiful, eloquent and full of poise! Thank you so much for sharing your heart and homeschool journey over lunch and between breakout sessions. It's exciting to meet other mamas face-to-face and glean from the knowledge they've accumulated over the years.

It'll be fun to see you around the forums, because the only thing I left that conference disappointed in was that you didn't live closer!

Comment

Enbateau,

What a lovely surprise to check in on the forum and find this sweet post from you. I am blessed by your kind words. Thank you.

It was encouraging to see your fierce commitment to the path you know is right for your family, even if everyone else is taking the easier path. You are taking the one less traveled, and that will make all the difference. Your children will rise up and call you blessed, someday. Probably not tomorrow, or next year, but it will happen. Keep on keeping on.

To all of you other hard working MP mammas, I hope you get an opportunity to go to one of these conferences at some point in your homeschooling career. I found it invaluable to hear the heart behind the curricula. I think it's hard to use Memoria Press as it's fully intended without seeing and hearing in person the reasoning behind and the method for why and how they do what they do. That sounds extreme, but although I have read extensively on this forum and listened to presentations by MP staff, I didn't really "catch the fire" until this past week at the conference. Now, after attending the Winter Regional Conference, I am at the same time encouraged that this is a beautiful and honoring way to educate my children, as well as a little overwhelmed at the seriousness of the task before me. Leigh Lowe made it clear that teacher AND student work diligently to master this material, and the teacher should be leading the way by example. OUCH! This is not the typical homeschooling by the seat of your pants mantra that I see touted as a badge of honor because "We homeschool, we don't school at home".

Yes, I was convicted and brought back to my roots last week. Although I am a traditional educator at heart, I fell into the Progressive Pit in one too many areas. I just thank God that this opportunity came when it did, and I trust that He will help me to forge a new path that will lead our homeschool Higher Up and Further In.

Comment

Yes! I cannot even describe how revolutionary that conference was. I finally have a grasp of the philosophy and bigger picture. Our homeschool day has completely changed. I'm more fiercely guarding our learning time, employing Leigh's tactics. Last night, my daughter turned in some copywork, and I handed it back without looking, asking for 3 things to be fixed. It was the most wonderful tip because it didn't feel like criticism. I hadn't even looked! Also, I'm starting to see fruit from the level of cumulative review they recommend. Finally, I am seeing even better results from switching to teacher-led completion of the lessons vs. independent work. With those best practices, we still ended earlier than ever. My daughter walked around the house singing "Woopie! This is the earliest we've finished on a Monday!"

MP for the win!

Thanks for the encouragement, RuthAnn. Praying your week goes smoothly.

Comment

Hi Ruth! I’m so glad you got to experience the conference. I wanted so badly to make it, but it just didn’t work out this time. I can’t wait for Sodolitas! It’s a non-negotiable for me this time around. I was so glad they had the videos from last year and after listening I knew I had to make this years. I look forward to meeting some of y’all!
                          ~Catherine~

DD 8yr (2nd)
                          DS 6yr (2nd)
                          DS 5yr (K)
                          DS 3yr
                          DD 1yr

Comment

Originally posted by RuthAnn View Post
                            I used Abeka to homeschool for awhile, but got overwhelmed with it when my oldest 2 were around 4th grade, so we started doing more Charlotte Mason style homeschool. While I never completely left my traditional roots, I bought into the idea that exposure and allowing kids to make their own connections with the content was enough. Fast forward 9-10 years later, and the fruits of that are not what I'd hoped/expected.
                            Hi, RuthAnn! Would you mind elaborating a little on how the “fruits” of exposure and allowing kids to make their own connections were not what you’d hoped?
                            Thank you!
                            2018-19
                            DS--8.5, MP3M
                            DD--6.5, MPK/1
                            DD--5
                            DS--2.5
                            DS--born 8/2018

Comment

Emilylovesbooks,

One of the ideas that Charlotte Mason teaches is that the teacher shouldn't get between the student and the book. Instead, students need to be allowed to connect with the material in the way that clicks for them. Now, I may have missed something, started too late with my older 2, or just not implemented Charlotte Mason correctly, but I didn't see my children making connections on their own. They didn't magically retain content because I let them read and narrate instead of having them read, reread, review, study and master the material.

I just "fact checked" the above paragraph with my oldest child, and she agreed that this is an accurate description of the issue.

The other problem with this way of education, at least for my family, was that it lead to laziness because my kids knew they wouldn't see the material again. Trying to "test" my students' retention in content areas using the Charlotte Mason method left me feeling overwhelmed and flustered, so it often didn't happen. I tried so many different Charlotte Mason flavored curricula trying to find the "magic bullet" that would teach ME how to effectively teach my children, but I always felt like I didn't quite get it. Now, looking at my oldest son struggle in college because he never learned how to study makes me wish I would have stopped trying to learn this child centered way of education.

As far as the "fruits" of exposure, I was lead to believe that deep down all children want to know, so if you set the table with a wide feast, they will come and nourish themselves with the food they need. Again, it didn't play out this way in my family, and all my efforts to include all those extra subjects left me frazzled and aggravated because my children could care less about them. They just wanted to know what they had to do so they could get done with their school.

Now, I know that some people successfully homeschool using the Charlotte Mason method, but it hasn't been a success for my homeschool. In fact, I would say that the subjects that my children are currently successful in are the ones where I stuck to my more traditional roots.

Hope this helps make things a little clearer.

Comment

Working...
                              X