Traditional spelling - S2 - help/ ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional spelling - S2 - help/ ideas

It’s our first year with MP and I’ve got a 2nd grader with strong phonics background. We have just completed lesson 16 with the spelling test and my speller is just getting over half of the words spelled correctly. This issue has been consistent for the majority of the weeks (with the exception of 2 weeks getting zero or one wrong). We go through each day’s lessons and acitivities over a 5 day period. I have him write the words he missed several times afterword but I am not seeing him gain mastery of these words. Suggestions? Advice?

Re: Traditional spelling - S2 - help/ ideas

Can you add in a few card games? Have him write the spelling words on two notecards. Play memory and go fish with them. You can try other tactile ways as well, using playdough, wiki sticks or pipe cleaners.

I would pause and go back and re-do the other lessons as well, for the words he missed.
    Christine

(2018-2019)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC4
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC2
    DD3 2/9/13 - MPK

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3)
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others!)

Comment

We have had a lot of traction with Wikki Stix. I ask to have the vowel teams in red, consonant teams in blue and regular consonants any color desired.

The colorful letters exercise is in the workbook is another. When my 2nd grader writes her words in the spelling journal...or whatever they call the extra book where you copy the words 2 times, I have her do the colorful letters again there. We also drill the phonics flashcards and read the word lists in Classical Phonics at least once. Usually my child doesn't misspell a word because she doesn't understand the phonics concept. My child is hasty and lacks some executive functions that allow her to slow down and think about the sounds she is hearing and square it with what she's writing. Do a quick test. If your child can verbally spell all the words but struggles to get it written down correctly, you have a completely different issue at hand than not remembering how to memorize a which phonics rules apply and when. Part of the beauty of TS2 is the spelling rule groupings. I make sure that is part of the discussion, analyzing how words aren't spelled this week. For DD, writing the words over and over and over really helps with the muscle memory for the word. Spelling out loud is great, but writing it correctly is key.

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        Can you add in a few card games? Have him write the spelling words on two notecards. Play memory and go fish with them. You can try other tactile ways as well, using playdough, wiki sticks or pipe cleaners.

I would pause and go back and re-do the other lessons as well, for the words he missed.
        ——————Thank You!!—————

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
          can you add in a few card games? Have him write the spelling words on two notecards. Play memory and go fish with them. You can try other tactile ways as well, using playdough, wiki sticks or pipe cleaners.

——- thank you!———-

Comment

Be sure you have read and are following the teacher guidelines. Are you doing the oral say, spell, say? Each day do they write their words in the practice notebook remembering one day write with pencil the next go over with a highlighter or colored pencil? Are they writing their words on the whiteboard when completing the activities? Most all of these activities are teacher guided, meaning you are working alongside your student. Much of the written material is covered orally or written first, either during the activities or interactive lessons before Students write in their workbooks. If you are confident implementation is good, as one other poster said you might consider additional games and oral tests to ascertain whether the problem is actual spelling or the process of getting the words onto paper.

Missing more than one or two words on the test indicates lack of mastery. Are they doing fine with the Thursday dictation? My advice when a student is missing more than one or maybe two, is to spend more time and solidify the phonograms covered. Also note if words covered are misspelled in other writing.

If you still have questions or concerns, please repost or call the office as we want you (and your student) to be successful with the materials.

Blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

A very belated thank you for the insight you provided, @Michelle T and activities you suggested @howiecram and @enbateau ! I had missed a few guidelines and we have implemented those activities. Additionally, the additional activities you all suggested have kept my son engaged. I've seen a vast improvement over the last month! Hooray!!! Many thanks!!!

Comment

Glad you are seeing improvement and your son is engaged! I am glad you had the courage to reach out and ask for ideas when things didn't seem to be working. MP wants you and your student to be successful.

Blessings,
                Michelle T

Comment

Thanks Michelle T! Your post has encouraged me to reread the TM. I have not been using it like I should. I know I read it once, but somehow still missed some things. This is such a great program! And I have used a lot.

Is level 3 still slated for fall 2019 release?

Thanks,
                  Kristen

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpetal View Post
                    Is level 3 still slated for fall 2019 release?
                    Good morning Kristen,

Unfortunately, Level III has to yet to be given a firm release window. We are still gathering feedback on Levels I and II so that Level III can take full advantage of your all's experiences. I'm glad you're loving the current levels. Hopefully we'll be able to release III sooner rather than later!
                    Michael
                    Memoria Press

Comment

Thanks, Michael, for keeping us updated.

Kristen

Comment

Working...
                      X