Help with new forum format?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with new forum format?

Hello! I'm learning my way around the new forum format and I could use some tips on seeing the "unread" posts. I see the "trending" and "latest topics" sections on the main page, but I haven't figured out how to see who's replied recently like I could on the old system. I would usually log in and go to something like "unread" on the top menu. I honestly can't remember what it was called now that it is gone. Ha! Anyway, right now I'm seeing the original post along with the subject, but not the most recent reply. If I go to "New Topics" then I can get a pretty good idea, but they aren't in the order of last replies. I'm sure there's some way to do this. I just want to log in and see what activity has transpired since my last visit without too much hunting.
    Any tips for me to try?
    Thank you in advance!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

The little icons next to boards and threads are normally gray, but they will turn blue when there is an unread post in that board/thread. You can also click on "Today's Posts" in the upper-left of any page to see every thread with at least one new post today. This list is pre-sorted by time of last update.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you for baby-stepping me through, Michael! The blue/gray designation had slipped my attention. I haven't found the "Today's Posts" yet--just the "Latest Activity" tab. Is that the same thing? Also, I see the FB/Twitter share buttons are not active yet. Is that something we'll be able to opt out of in our personal profile? I'd rather my forum posts not be cross-posted to social media.
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Comment

You're welcome! I've attached a screenshot of the "Today's Posts" button that will hopefully help, and I have emailed Paul about removing the Twitter and FB buttons as I have no idea if we can do it or how to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Today's Posts Button on New MP Forum.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	108065
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Name:	image_906.png
Views:	2
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	108068

The screen shot is so helpful because I don't have a "today's posts" button where you do! Thanks for checking on the other question.
          Attached Files
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
          S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
          D · 8th
          D · 5th
          S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

Name:	image_906.png
Views:	2
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	108068

The screen shot is so helpful because I don't have a "today's posts" button where you do! Thanks for checking on the other question.
            Ah, the joys of updating!

I am not sure why you can't see that button, so I will send another email to Paul (who is on vacation at the moment). I'm useless when it comes to making changes to the forum itself. Sorry I can't help more at the moment!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Poor Paul! Happy to wait patiently while things get sorted.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Comment

I only have new topics as well! (I also much prefer checking the “I am not a robot” over typing “Greek” or Memoria to post!
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

All these changes make me feel old...which is not good right around the time of one’’’s birthday (why can’t I get an apostrophe for one’s to work?), nor around the time that a lot of new oddly colored hairs have started appearing in the mirror (my anguished face emoji was going to go here but does not seem to work in the new format either).

Knodding head in agreement with the “hoping to avoid social media” post by Jess, and the “I am
                  not a robot improvement mentioned by Christine.” Change is hard, but can be good!

AMDG,
                  Sarah
                  Last edited by KF2000; 12-28-2018, 07:25 PM.
                  2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
                  DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
                  DS, 16
                  DD, 14
                  DD, 12
                  DD, 10
                  DD, 7.5
                  DD, 5.5
                  +DS+
                  DS, 18 months

Comment

I, too, do not see a "today's posts" button.
                    I do picture a vacationing Paul lying on a beach lounger wearing a suit and tie while reading a leather-bound book, and then being interrupted by a tuxedo-clad butler holding a silver platter upon which a phone is perched. "Important call from Kentucky, Mr. Schaeffer..."
                    *Really, maybe it's better I not share the ridiculous things that go on inside my head.*

Also, I agree wholeheartedly about not wanting my comments cross-posted on any other media platform (no matter how "social" it claims to be) AND I like merely being able to click and verify that I am not, in fact, a robot. Basically, I guess I should have just posted, "What they all said" and left it at that.
                    Last edited by Mary; 12-28-2018, 09:10 PM.
                    Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek
                    DS12 - 7th core
                    DD7 - Still finishing 1st core at her own happy pace :-)

Comment

Maybe it's the difference between accessing via a computer and accessing via a mobile device.

On my phone there's three little gray lines on the left of the screen at the top. I click those lines and a drop-down appears with "latest posts" as an option. Does that help?
                      Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
                      DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
                      DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
                        All these changes make me feel old...which is not good right around the time of one’’’s birthday (why can’t I get an apostrophe for one’s to work?), nor around the time that a lot of new oddly colored hairs have started appearing in the mirror (my anguished face emoji was going to go here but does not seem to work in the new format either).

Knodding head in agreement with the “hoping to avoid social media” post by Jess, and the “I am
                        not a robot improvement mentioned by Christine.” Change is hard, but can be good!

AMDG,
                        Sarah
                        Are you a Dec or Jan b-day? I am a few days after Epiphany!

Oh wait, do not love having to click boxes with “street light, crosswalk, etc”. I always miss one tiny frame!
                        Christine

(2019/2020)
                        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
                        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
                        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
                        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
                        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
                        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Good morning everyone,

I am sorry for all the inconveniences that are accompanying this update. Please know that the decision to update the forum was made in response to a need for improved defenses against spam. There was no way to upgrade our filter without upgrading the entire forum. We appreciate all of your feedback regarding the new forum, and we will do what we can within the limits of the system to address the issues you've raised.
                          Michael
                          Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you, Michael (and team). We know that you all are looking out for us and have our best interests at heart. That's one of the many reasons I appreciate MP so much; it's never just about selling me literature guides or Latin workbooks.

BTW, how do you say, "I am not a robot" in Latin? Machina non sum? The beautiful irony is that that's precisely the point. We aren't robots; we are humans, image bearers. Ultimately, education is about real people: real children, real adults, real families, real communities, etc. Wendell Berry called this The Membership. It's because we aren't robots that we get up every morning and open the old books again--to keep becoming more human. I've decided that check box is doing me a favor. Indeed, I am not a robot and it's good to be reminded.
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                            D · 8th
                            D · 5th
                            S · 2nd

Comment

I have the Today's Posts link at the top left on desktop and the drop-down Colomama mentioned when on mobile. I was surprised to hear everyone talking about a "not a robot" or password type requirement for posting...I've never seen either! Not in the old forum or this one!
                              Jennifer
                              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
                              MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
                              MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
                              As above, plus:
                              MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
                              MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Working...
                              X