3rd Form Latin Unit 1 translation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Form Latin Unit 1 translation question

Good morning! I'm Translation C, question 6, the sentence to be translated is:
    Christ is the lamp unto my feet.

The translation given is:
    Christus est lumen in pedes.

When we were parsing, we can't figure out where the word for "my" has gone! I didn't think it was implied in "in pedes"...so should there be a possessive pronoun in here somewhere?

Thanks for any assistance!
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Re: 3rd Form Latin Unit 1 translation question

Originally posted by GeorgiaMom View Post
    Good morning! I'm Translation C, question 6, the sentence to be translated is:
    Christ is the lamp unto my feet.

The translation given is:
    Christus est lumen in pedes.

When we were parsing, we can't figure out where the word for "my" has gone! I didn't think it was implied in "in pedes"...so should there be a possessive pronoun in here somewhere?

Thanks for any assistance!
    Good afternoon,

Latin often omits possessive pronouns when referring to parts of one's own body. See the second bullet of Lesson 9 in Second Form Latin, where this concept is first taught. However, it would not be wrong to include a possessive pronoun as long as it's in the correct case: in meos pedes.

HTH!

Comment

Thanks so much Michael. Did not remember that at all...the 44 year old.mind only has so.much room!

On a related note, some of the imperative translations in Section D included the words for your, and some didn't. For example:
      Think with your head and heart = Puta capite cordeque
      But
      Lift up your hands = tolle manus tuas

I know the TG cannot include every translation, but I was confused as to whether or not these 2 specific example could be translated both ways (with or without the possessive pronoun) or if there was a specific reason that it had to be what was given in the guide.

I do so appreciate the time you take to walk me through this!
      Tracy
      MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaMom View Post
        Thanks so much Michael. Did not remember that at all...the 44 year old.mind only has so.much room!

On a related note, some of the imperative translations in Section D included the words for your, and some didn't. For example:
        Think with your head and heart = Puta capite cordeque
        But
        Lift up your hands = tolle manus tuas

I know the TG cannot include every translation, but I was confused as to whether or not these 2 specific example could be translated both ways (with or without the possessive pronoun) or if there was a specific reason that it had to be what was given in the guide.

I do so appreciate the time you take to walk me through this!
        You're very welcome, and there's nothing significant about those two sentences. Including the pronouns was just our way of showing another correct translation; you can also omit them. Perhaps we'll put optional possessive pronouns in parentheses in a future reprint. That might make it clearer that these pronouns are not required but also not incorrect.

Comment

Thanks again Michael. Personally, I'd find that helpful. I don't tend to stress over things like vocabulary...I know there are usually a couple of word choices that could be correct when the kids translate and don't get exactly what's in the TG.

But, with things like pronouns, which I found slightly confusing to begin with, when they appeared in some answers and not in others, I had a hard time telling if it was just one's choice to include them or if they were translated that way due to some hard and fast rule that I couldn't remember!

Again, thank you. You don't know what a blessing it is to be able to ask questions and get such quick, helpful responses. You are very much appreciated!
          Tracy
          MP 8A, 7A, and MP2

Comment

I had these same questions today and found this post to be very helpful. I have one more question to clarify regarding sentences #6 and #8 in translation D, from TF Unit 1 Review. Sentence #6 states "We have been created by God." and is translated, "Nos a Deo creati sumus." Both my kids left off Nos, as they assumed it to be part of the verb. Is "A Deo creati sumus." an acceptable translation?

Thanks,
            Janice

Comment

Yes, "nos" could be left off in sentences 6 & 8.
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director
              Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Great! Thank you for the quick response.

Comment

The whole optional possessive pronouns reminds me of French, where "wash your hands" is "lavez-vous les mains." I always thought it was weird that some of the possessive pronouns for body parts translated to just a definite article. I wonder if this is a Latin holdover....
                  Mama of 2, teacher of 3
                  Summer: First Start French I
                  SY 22/23
                  6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
                  MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
                  SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
                  X